It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

pambyboo HB User
Daughter with congenital abnormality

My 14 year old daughter went for her physical the other day, and the doctor sent her immediately for an XR to rule out scoliosis. Her back looks weird, has for almost a year, but last the doctor checked it, she thought it was normal. This is the result of the XR--can you help me determine what this might be and what I need to do?

1. Suspect a 6mm leg length differential with left leg being longer as suggested by a higher position of the left femoral hip cortex.

2. There appears to be a congenital developmental segmentation abnormality involving T10, T11, and T12. This results in a localized area of kyphosis that may contribute to the mild spinal curvature.

3. As seen on the AP full chest and abdomen upright view, the spine deviates only slightly from the line drawn from the middle of the cervical spine to the middle of L5 vertebral body.

Any information would be appreciated. I am very concerned about her. Thank you!
Jen

Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Daughter with congenital abnormality

Sounds like she has a mild curve. When I was diagnosed at the age of 13, (I am now 49) we had never heard of scoliosis and you can imagine the shock when we saw the xray. My middle curve (I have an "S") was 68 degrees off. It looked like a gigantic "C".
I wore a brace for awhile but wasn't very diligent with it. My curve is now at 45 degrees and I have very little pain.
If your daughter's curve is mild, they may be able to correct it with special exercises and maybe a lift in her shoe if it appears one leg is longer than the other. Surgery is usually performed when the curve is severe or the curve is causing pressure to other organs in the body. It doesn't sound like this is your daughter's case. It's funny how the body adjusts when things like this happen. The muscles compensate and move to make way for the spine curvature. Her doctor may refer you to an orthopedic doctor that specializes in back disorders. I am personally glad I didn't have the surgery because I have heard so many horror stories about post-op problems.
Make sure you stay on top of it if she does have a curve. Scoliosis develops during adolesents and can be corrected if caught early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply