It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

Amarylis HB User
Does exercise work to help Scoliosis?

Has anyone had any experience with exercise(s) for Scoliosis? There are several methods on the web. They are Schroth, CLEAR, Seas, Yoga for Scoliosis and I suspect there are others.

Have they worked for you? If they worked; did they reduce pain only or did your curve become smaller? What sort of program did you learn them in and how much time did it take?

It would also be helpful if you could let us know your age group. I am a mature adult with a long standing serious lumbar back injury who is now developing Scoliosis and pain.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
(female)

severe bonepain HB Usersevere bonepain HB User
Re: Does exercise work to help Scoliosis?

The only thing I know for certain regarding scoliosis is that weight bearing is not good once your scoliosis turns degenerative. It's better to do aerobic type stuff, walking, etc.

While you are young, you can get away with weight bearing. I was extremely muscular, but after degeneration sets in, this can lead to compression fractures.

Last edited by severe bonepain; 09-30-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My mother was diagnosed with scoliosis back in middle school. She did exercises for years, and her spine stopped curving. In those days of course, it wasn't yoga-lates, it was stretching and strengthening exercises for the back.

She went through most of her life with a slight curve only and few back problems. Now in her late 50's, her spine is beginning to twist a bit more. I think she's lost about a half-inch of height.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Amarylis (09-29-2011)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
(female)

Worrywart6 HB User

I'm 16 and have severe scoliosis and doing any kind of exercise was extremly painful and made my 2 curves worse so I recommend doing light walking or yoga, those help me a lot but besides that I haven't had any luck.
Hope you find something that will help

Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

CherieAZ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarylis View Post
Has anyone had any experience with exercise(s) for Scoliosis? There are several methods on the web. They are Schroth, CLEAR, Seas, Yoga for Scoliosis and I suspect there are others.

Have they worked for you? If they worked; did they reduce pain only or did your curve become smaller? What sort of program did you learn them in and how much time did it take?

It would also be helpful if you could let us know your age group. I am a mature adult with a long standing serious lumbar back injury who is now developing Scoliosis and pain.

Thanks.
I have had scoliosis all my life, wore a back brace in my early teens, curvature continued. I did go through PT for a while using an exercise ball, I never felt so good in my life until I had a fender bender. Although very slight, it was the end of my relief for my back. The swelling etc. stopped the exercise. I then had to have a Harrington Rod placed in my back. It should have been done years ago as I was told. My upper back was already fused from arthritis, so they fused the lower back to stop the twisting. Anyway, the exercise really helped, but nothing ever totally took away the pain. The surgery had to be done, or the twisting would eventually puncture my heart and lungs. I can sit longer now without my whole right swelling up.
Sorry about the long answer, but exercise helps.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
(female)

CherieAZ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarylis View Post

Thanks.
I have had scoliosis all my life, wore a back brace in my early teens, curvature continued. I did go through PT for a while using an exercise ball, I never felt so good in my life until I had a fender bender. Although very slight, it was the end of my relief for my back. The swelling etc. stopped the exercise. I then had to have a Harrington Rod placed in my back. It should have been done years ago as I was told. My upper back was already fused from arthritis, so they fused the lower back to stop the twisting. Anyway, the exercise really helped, but nothing ever totally took away the pain. The surgery had to be done, or the twisting would eventually puncture my heart and lungs. I can sit longer now without my whole right swelling up.
Sorry about the long answer, but exercise helps. I am currently 58 years old and had surgery 8 years ago.

Reply Reply