It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
(female)

Heartbrokenn HB User
Diagnosed with levoscoliosis after numerous MRIS and spinal fusion? Help?

HI, I posted inthe 'back issues' forum before I saw there is this forum.

As my title indicates, somehow after I've had about 10 lumbar MRIS I now have a sentence on my newest one of 'mild levoscoliosis' Can this be caused recently?? I do have an abnormal stance, and have limped for a good 2yrs prior and dont use my right leg when I dont haveto. It actually if I am doing alot of steps or trying to hang something with numerous times needing to step up to something (like a chair) my leg just wont work anymore and I am unable to even 'step up' its like the muscles just say- NOPE we're done!

So my question is- how is it I can have TONS of MRIS but no mention of this until now? I have back pain, and if I am sitting for more than a few minutes- I am unable to get up how I can now since my lumbar fusion (due to an injury) and at times I am taking about 10 minutes and extreme pain, to get to an upright position.
Any help is appreciated. THanks.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
(female)

karlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with levoscoliosis after numerous MRIS and spinal fusion? Help?

Hi. 2 days ago I got my MRI back and it says Degenerative Disc Disease and Levoscoliosis. I don't have a clue what either one of them are! I have terrible back pain almost all the time too. It's my first MRI of my spine/back so I've never found out until now what my probllem behind all this pain is. I've never even heard of Levoscoliosis. Can you please tell me anything at all about it?? I'd be so very grateful to you! Thank you in advance. Hope you feel better, if nothing else,,,,,,,You are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with levoscoliosis after numerous MRIS and spinal fusion? Help?

I usually hang out on the back board, but happened to notice this post and thought I might be able to help you understand the term levoscoliosis. This is a finding that seems to be not that unusual post fusion surgery. I had basically the same experience. In my case, mine is a result of a L3-S1 fusion and it is only visible on MRI -- you can't see any change on the outside as it is such a slight curve.

First a couple simple definitions:

Scoliosis is not a disease, but a term used to describe any abnormal, sideways curvature of the spine. Viewed from the back, a typical spine is straight. When scoliosis happens, there are three ways the spine can curve:

--The spine curves to the side as a single curve to the left (shaped like "C" ), called levoscoliosis

--The spine curves to the side as a single curve to the right (shaped like a backwards letter "C" ), called dextroscoliosis

--The spine has two curves (shaped like the letter S).

Levoscoliosis just means a spinal curve to the left: levo=left, scoliosis = spinal curve. (dextroscoliosis is the curve to the right)

I think we tend to think of scoliosis as something that happens in childhood, but it can develp as an adult as well...and yes, you could have 10 MRIs that do not show scoliosis and then develop it. Yours is MILD and it was probably brought on by other back issues that are causing muscles to cramp, ligaments to shorten, etc. which can actually pull the spine out of alignment. Then when you overcompensate for pain, which the body does automatically to try to avoid pain, and you favor one side or the other, it tends to structurally pull part of the spine.

Going along with this finding, there is usually a degeneration of the facet joints of the lumbar spine. Degenerative disc disease is not really a disease but a process of degeneration that is a result of normal wear and tear on the spine. It is something that occurs as a part of aging. It's just that the spine begins the aging process in our twenties so some damage can become apparent at a fairly young age. It is a very common cause of lower back pain. It also produces the conditions that can result in sciatic pain.

DDD can include arthritic changes, bulging discs, stenosis, etc. Many people on the back board have DDD and there are many threads relating to it.

Reply Reply