It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Worrywart6 HB User
Question In need for some help

Hi
These past few years I have been diagnosed with sevre scoliosis with a curve between my shoulders and another right below my ribs. I have been going to chiropractor for sometime now, my first chiropractor actually made my curves worse with little treatment and a big bill but luckily my second Chiro is helping me a lot. Anyway I was wondering what you guys have to say about back surgeries, I'm 16 and personally from what I've heard people either love it or they hate it and I was just wondering what your guys point of view is. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life in constant pain rellying on pain killers...not to mention the toll this has taken on my emotions. Thanks for the advice

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
(female)

cindygee HB User
Re: In need for some help

Has your doctor recommend surgery? They usually don't unless they fell you need it. I had surgery many years ago, and they tell me everything is better now. I have some problems now but its really due to a genetic disorder. When I went to my doctor, I told him I'm glad I had the surgery even with the Herrington rod because I would have been crippled. He said, "No, you would have been dead". One curve was pushing against my lung and the other against my kidney. So if they are saying you need it, you just might.

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

Worrywart6 HB User

My doctors just recently talked about going through surgery because of the symptoms i have been having, which are heart problems and having a hard time with breathing. They basically told me its my only option, but since Im in high school still Im not sure if I should wait or not. The surgery really scares me so I think im going to take some time to think it over. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
(female)

kathy0330 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrywart6 View Post
My doctors just recently talked about going through surgery because of the symptoms i have been having, which are heart problems and having a hard time with breathing. They basically told me its my only option, but since Im in high school still Im not sure if I should wait or not. The surgery really scares me so I think im going to take some time to think it over. Thanks for the help.
I have scoliosis and osteoporosis. I was told to be aware of having trouble breathing. I would be a sign that it was time for surgery. I was 58 years old at the time, but in good physical shape for my age. I had the surgery, and am thankful for it. My rib cage was pulled back so my lung cavity would have the space, once more. At your age, the healing should be simple, compared to my one year of recovery. Allow your lungs the space they need, and prevent your body from becoming more restricted. I had a total fusion of the spine, with hooks and pulleys to straighten me up, then came the titanium rods. I am happy to say that I am able to function normally. I orthopedic doctors!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
(female)

Pipersmomma3 HB User

Worry, I completely understand your confusion... when I had my first surgery I was 32, and have had 4 since 3 major 1 minor, all for my back issues. All I heard from everyone is oh ur much too young to be dealing with back issues for the rest of your life, blah blah blah... They of course didn't understand or get the whole situation of my back issues or diseases or disorders how ever you want to put it, any way make sure you take your time and if you are not sure get a second or even third opinion, if that is what will ease your mind. My fusion sergery was seccessful in the structure part of being "fixed" but the intense pain will always be there as I have severe sciatic pain and severe nerve damage from doctors whotold me it was all inmy head anddidn't properly treat me or my pain... but lesson learned for me... make sure you are completely comfortable with your doctor and thier opinion, but I would def get at least one other opinion to make sure that is what you need to do now at tis point in your young life!!! Goodluck to you and please keep us all posted...

Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

kathy0330 HB User

Pipersmomma3 is right. I got 3 opinions from Orthopedic Surgeons before deciding to go through with my surgery. They ALL told me the same thing. Be sure to interview each doctor. Check on his professional history and talk to some of his past patients, if possible. A decision is not so simple, you must take in all of your personal health issues, also. Oh, the care you get after surgery is EXTREMELY important! I was fortunate enough to have Long Term Care Insurance. My family would not have been able to function well, if they were to stop and take care of me in the way the caregivers provided. My doctor made many comments about the care I was getting. Never had to do something he didn't think I was ready to do. Good luck to you!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
(female)

HeyYaYa HB User

Hi, have you tried physical therapy? It can strengthen your muscles to slow down the curve progression. I, too, was diagnosed with severe scoliosis at 16 and had surgery at age 30 due to pain and much progression caused by pregnancy. This was in 1982 and I'm very glad I did. I understand that they've made great advances in surgical techniques. After recovery I led a full life with lots of exercise (played softball). The key is finding a good surgeon.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
(female)

kathy0330 HB User

I agree, you DEFINITELY need a good surgeon! One that you can trust, and that's after doing some research and interviewing several, AND, if you're lucky, you can find some past patients! (Maybe in the waiting room)

Reply Reply