It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

tsp967 HB User
scoliosis - surgery?

Hi
I would really be grateful for some help and advice - I am 52 and due to have the second stage of spinal surgery for scoliosis in 4 weeks. I have had a lumbar fusion (ALIF) performed 3 weeks ago - the second part will rod and screw from T1 to L4. The thing is - I'm not a wimp but the first surgery was rather unpleasant and I am truthfully dreading the more complex next part (if only for the fact that the anaesthetic was awful and sent me completely potty.
please help......thanks

Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
(male)

stonjohn4 HB User
Re: scoliosis - surgery?

I have been here on these boards for 6 years and have received immeasurable amounts of advice and support when I needed it most.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is quite understandable to be concerned about getting thru this next phase. I had to laugh when I read your statement about not being a wimp but your first surgery was rather unpleasant. I have had 3 lumbar surgeries (2 fusions) and a neck fusion, and I would describe all of them as way worse than unpleasant! First of all, if you had problems with the anesthetic, please discuss this with your anesthesiologist well in advance. Anesthesia time may be longer this time, and they probably will have another choice that won't make you "potty". Also, do all you can preop to prepare for what you will need postop. Arrange for help from family and friends, get groceries and a few meals in freezer, set up your spot where you will recover with everything you will need at arm's reach, etc. Anticipate the pillows, blankets, ice packs, dressings, and comfort items you will need and have them ready. If you feel in control, it will be less scary. Make sure you know what to expect postop and get your post op pain RX filled before surgery if possible. Take care of any constipation before surgery so it isn't a big issue afterward. Post op stool softeners are a good idea (OTC). You get the picture! Good luck, hope all goes well and you have as easy a recovery as possible.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi tsp - I'm confused about whether you are asking whether or not you should have the second surgery. Have you definitely made arrangements to have the surgery? If so, I hope that all goes well and I'm sure that others will post about their experiences.
I have stenosis and osteoporosis and have had several
steroid injections to cure my sciatica. I have never considered having surgery to try to correct my spinal problems.
The main thing, in my opinion, is the expertise of your surgeon and how many of these operations he has performed plus how much faith you have in your surgeon. Mabent

Reply Reply