It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

Casey31 HB User
Question Scoliosis diagnose and then some... Advice!

So after several doctors visits and ER trips for excruciating back pain I was granted an MRI after hysterically crying to my doctor that something was wrong. I've dealt with several issues regarding my health lately- many attributed to a vitamin d deficiency. I've had low back pain for about two years that suddenly changed two Fridays ago. I woke up with numbness in my lower back all the way to my feet. It radiated around my chest. That night on had pain in my back like of yet to experience. It got worse from there until on felt like I was in labor. The pain has changed from low back pain, to extreme tailbone pain to pain left and right of my spine. I got the results of my MRI a couple hours ago and my doctor dismissively said I have Mild Scoliosis, disk protrusion and arthritis in my spine... According to my old PCP I did not have any of this 8 months ago after I had an xray done for the back pain. This doctor also didn't think I was having vitamin deficiency related symptoms- I was. So I'm not sure any more. I'm going to pick up my X-ray films and bring my MRI results/disk to the back doctor I will be seeing shortly. My reason for posting here is what exactly is mild scoliosis. How do I find out if this is new or I've always had it? What if I didn't have it 8 months ago and do now? Has anyone experienced tailbone pain from scoliosis? I know I have a lot of questions and many really need to be answered by doctor but I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences. Currently I cannot walk more than 10-15 minutes, drive more than 20, sleep comfortably, move around normally and my back muscles feel weak. I feel like I'm 80 but really only 31. I will be starting PT shortly also. Indeed like my doctor left me with way more questions and kind if dismissed me like oh well. I don't understand what's causing your pain.... The MRI didn't show much except these 3 things. They sound and feel like big things to me. I feel like I've had to figure out my own diagnosis, for all of these things and now have to keep waiting. I cannot spend my days waiting!!! What do I do with this information?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Scoliosis diagnose and then some... Advice!

I normally post on the "Back Problems" board, but was reading here today and saw your post. I'm sorry no one responded to you. If you are still around, and still ha,ve questions, I'd be happy to try to answer your questions.

Sometimes "mild scoliosis" can just be a result of how you are lying in the MRI tube, and the position you are in when the scan is done. I never had scoliosis for the first fifty+ years and then one time the finding showed up. As we age and if we have some other spine issues and may be compensating for pain,we can develop a small amount of twisting in part of the spine which is labelled mild scoliosis. It is mostly identified and then just watched if further MRIs are done.

It sounds like your issues are coming from your lower lumbar spine and involve some nerve compression, perhaps from a bulging disc, arthritis or stenosis. Any of these things can be very painful.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

Dschubba01 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Scoliosis diagnose and then some... Advice!

Hi! It's not the end of the world but it does require some action on your part. I've had scoliosis since I was 13 (now 53), double curve, had spinal fusion in 9 vertebra. I decided to strengthen my muscles all over, I used my body physically & did not let it limit me--except I can't do regular sit-ups very well. A PT will be helpful for you as well as a good chiropractor. Learn stretches, exercises to build core muscles. You can help yourself tremendously& as needed, you may have to return to a Dr from time to time& it may require NSAIDs or even pain meds. Don't let them ply you full of antidepressants or pain meds--it's a real problem that will require some courage on your part. You are not helpless, crazy or alone. I am experiencing problems now as a result of disc tearing, bulging & arthritis & I know enuff that its not unexpected & the Drs are not gonna get away with treating me as hysterical or depressed. I know this has to be hard for you just finding out but the Drs only know pills & surgery. I hope you are encouraged & search out the matter for yourself.

Reply Reply