It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

Feather822 HB User
Post Severe back hip and leg pain.....help

I have been dealing with lower back pain for the last few years. The left side of my back gets extremely swollen and feels like a baseball is in it. I had my first child less than a year ago and during my pregnancy my pain increased.( I had the back pain long before being pregnant)

After I had my first child the pain in my back became dibilitating. On top of the excrusiating back pain I started having sciatic pain in my left leg and for the last 3 months at least I have had no feeling from my knee down on my left leg. Since having my child I have seen a nuerosurguen, my primary, a pain rehabilitation dr and have gone to physical therapy twice which made my pain worse. I now have a referral to go see a nuerologist.

In the last month and a half I have had severe right leg pain now. Its a little different than my left leg pain so I'm not sure if its my sciatic nerve in my right leg. In my right leg I have similar symptoms except I have a lot more pain in my hip and in my knee almost as if its a pulsatiting pain and there is no numbness.

I have a 9 month old daughter that I can barely play with because I can't move. I don't feel relief when I'm laying down sitting standing, etc.

I have had 2 mri, an x ray or my back. My x ray came back normal. My mri says I have degenetive disc, spinal stenosis, and slipped discs in my L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1.
Even with all that the nuro surgeon said its not operable.
I have been on prednizone, tremedol 50 and 100. I have been given mucsle relaxers and on vicodin and nothing is helping my pain. I'm only 25 and I feel as if I'm 90. I can't move,and its debilitating. What can they do to help me or what can they be missing............. I need any amd all suggestions please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
(female)

daisey10 HB User
Re: Severe back hip and leg pain.....help

I really feel you because I have been going through the same kind of pain for yrs. I am some of the same medications you are taking and still I have pain. I am older than you are and have a long history of treatments. In 2003 I had surgery, a fusion and still it didn't do the trick. There are periods when the medication will sofen the pain and if I get a couple of hrs. a day I am happy. Every so often a new pain will start up again and it's hell. Several yrs. ago I went to a pain management dr. and my MRI showed scar tissue and so other problems. At that time I had 3 epadurals which helped for a while along with meds. I now have a baseball in my left side and pins and needle in my left leg and foot. I went to see my PC dr. and she is not sure what it is. She suggested a pain management dr. or a neurolgist and I said I would first like to try PT first which didn't work, it only hurt more. Sorry this is so long but I have been at this for yrs. I have reconsidered a pain management or a neurogist. I called her for a referral 2 wks. ago and havn't heard from her. I want to call her again but feel like I am being a pest. I have been searching for a PM dr. here in Syracuse and would like her to give ne a referral. There is one pain management clinic that is very popular here but I don't want to go there because I was there in 2000 post surgery, I wasbt very happy with the drs, or treatments. I had trigger point injections and it onl made the pain worst. So you see you are not alone and wish I could be of some help. I am trying to build up the courage to call the PT dr. and insist that she help with a referral.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

Sahmbymistake HB User
Re: Severe back hip and leg pain.....help

Sometimes I get that same pain. If it doesn't go away after a month it gets so bad I can't focus on anything as the pain is too distracting. That's when I see the actual dr (not the usual PA I see for chronic PM) he knows where to do the injection just based on my complaints. I'm not a big fan of spinal injections due to long term side effects. However it seems necessary when it affects my role as a mother. He calls it an L4L5 nerve root irritation. The pain is gone before the needle is out. The cycle is broken and I actually drive myself home(but Straight home) although they dont allow most to do that. I only do this when it is unbearable and chiro (other bff) cant get that spot through manual manipulation. It may return after injury or like my back surgery 18 mo ago but my chiro was able to fix it. My son is starting school. I needed surgery at 19 for scoliosis. I left it untreated and went thru preg which made curves increase. I held off until my child was a month shy of 3 so he could climb up on me bc I couldn't lift him 6 months post op.

Reply Reply