It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

blue712 HB User
head banging?

i used to bang my head into walls and hard surfaces....i also used to hit myself in the head with heavy/hard objects and im wondering if anyone else has been through something similar. i am terribly afraid that i have given myself brain damage. i think i may have affected my memory because it has been extremely difficult for me to remember things and i even blotted entire events out of my head and it has been really hurt my relationship with people i care about. i want to know if i have done irreversible damage or if im just being paranoid, but i am extremely concerned. if anyone has dealt with a similar issue, i would really appreciate your comments.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
(female)

whodidwhat HB User
Re: head banging?

I too bang my head. I try to remain calm but sometimes I just lose it. I've given myself concussions but I don't think I've done any long term damage. I know if we continue this, we will end up with some major damage and I actually wonder if it leads to dementia when you get older. I guess it depends on how often and how hard you do it. Best thing to do is see your doc and be honest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

I bang my head when frustrated. I never brought it up to my doc, because I didn't think it was anything serious, but now I guess it is a form of self-harm.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

honeybeez HB User

yes...... i have done it, usually at my worst times when i am in a crying state and feel angry or hurt. I think the aim is to try to knock myself out (never works) It really doesnt help but i suppose its like trying to knock some sense into me, do something different other than moping around feeling all the feelings, its like putting it into something else. usually the bathroom tiles that get it. i feel silly for doing it and i know its not the best but its just another coping method.

xxxxxxxx honey xxxxxxxx

Old 06-19-2006, 03:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User

i do at times wen im extremly distressed-ie after an arguement or feeling pretty bad-like im crying and stuff. but its not really hard, i just repeat it over and over again like im nuts-it just keeps me focused.sorry i aint much herlp-i think u shud bring it up at ur docs, it IS a form of SH. xox

Old 06-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
(female)

blackbelt HB User

Yes, I used to headbang. I have not headbanged for one year and 2 months. I don't know what long term side effects it can cause. I went to my neurologist for my cp a few years ago and he said that I was unlikely to cause permanent damage. I went to a psychologist last summer to get diagnosed for adhd, and she said that blows to the head can cause brain damage. When I get frustrated now I try to immediately journal, hit a pillow, or call someone. I also try to deal with frustrating situations when I am the most able to focus on solving the problem.

Closed Thread