It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

MissJessica HB User
Question Cosmetic Surgery For Scars?

Hello Everyone

I am desperate to remove my scars. I was a cutter for sixteen years (from age 9 to age 25, I am now about to turn 27)

My scars are very noticible - and I have them covering almost all of my extremities (shoulder to wrist and thigh to ankle) - both sides. I have been self injury free for about a year and a half, and am confident I have recovered.. I do not see myself ever going back to that.. EVER.. But, my scars really intrude on my life. I am unable to wear shorts at all, and being that I live in Texas, that really sucks. I have not worn shorts in several years. And that is odd when everyone else is in shorts.. I cannot do things that I used to do - like going swimming, or get a message with anyone other then my one massage therapist who has seen my scars and I trust her. I cannot get pedicures, because they ask questions - and people look. They try not to, but they do.. I find my scars affecting my work - as I have to wear uniform shirts, and well - there is only so much I can do to "hide" my scars, and those I cannot hide - well, they stay visible. Which, while nobody has asked me questions - I get many looks. I am constantly aware of how I hold my body - maybe if I hold my arm this way, or turn that way - things will be less noticible. I dont know if that works, but I know that it's a very hard thing to keep up, very humiliating - very shameful. I teach pre-school, so I not only deal with kids (who DO ask questions), but I deal with their parents (who clearly wonder) and then I deal with my employers and fellow staff members. It is - very angersome and humiliating. It is so hard to escape a past, when it literally stares you (and everyone else) in the face day in and day out. It's hard to have true self acceptance, and my scars affect every area of my life. It just perpetuates alot of shame about how I could ever think so badly about myself and harbor so many negative emotions that I could ever do that to myself.

I have tried about every cream, ointment, etc., out there .. And nothing has ever worked. I have been told that surgery is probably my only option.

But A) It's expensive, and it would only be a miracle that a surgeon would help me pro-bono and B) Does it even work?

I just get frustrated and sad, and angry and sometimes depressed about it all ... Help, anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
(female)

forgetyou HB User
Re: Cosmetic Surgery For Scars?

i feel for you

i have the same feelings about mine...
theyre up my left forearm. there arent a lot but theyre really visible and white.

i am constantly paranoid about the looks and thoughts of others too. its so hard. im sorry to hear that you are going through it too...i would almost like to have big burn marks or anything else besides scars from purposely hurting yourself...

i have no idea about the cosmetic surgery thing, i asked my doc and he said its not gonna work for my type, but then again hes just a gp.
when im not totally broke (:P) i might go for a consult with a cosmetic surgeon. you would think that if they can do tattoo removal then they can remove scars?

i work in a restaurant where im always using my hands for food prep and counting change, and people are watching your every move.. your job must be really hard too...esp with the parents

if i find anything about cosmetic surgery i will post it for you

Closed Thread