It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

Somni Divine HB User
Lightbulb There may be a PHYSICAL explanation for self injury - here's some help and hope

Dear folks recovering from or in the midst of struggling with self injury,
After many decades of struggling with this problem, and almost as many years of therapy, one day my psychiatrist said something to me that made a WHOLE LOT of sense, and I thought I would share it with you all. My prayer is that it will help maybe at least one person not to feel so shame filled and guilty, and to explore the possibility that this is a CHEMICAL imbalance that is causing you to deal with stress, anxiety, shame, embarrassment, lack of hope, feelings of worthlessness, and all of the other things that may cause you to injure yourself in many different ways that have been discussed here. I have done most of them myself. One way I was self injuring included alcoholism, which seemed to make the likeliness of physically hurting myself even greater.
This may seem strange - but please think about it - it made so much sense to me when I finally heard it, I could have jumped for JOY!
There has been research that shows that self injuring people may have less natural opiates, or release less than the "average" person does as a response to physical and emotional pain. As a result, some people may have learned that causing themselves physical pain releases opiates into their system, causing an almost immediate sense of relief ... the problem is, it fades, and the cycle repeats.
Several years ago I started methadone maintenance, as I tend to become addicted to almost anything, and it had two unexpected side effects. ONE was drinking alcohol was no longer enjoyable or desirable to me. Even when I thought I wanted a drink, I could barely down half a beer. And you are talking to someone who was drinking an average of 36 beers a night.
TWO I noticed, maybe during the second year, that since I had started methadone, I NEVER ONCE cut or burned or intentionally hurt myself in any way. It was something I hadn't even noticed until my doctor pointed it out to me, and mentioned maybe there really is something to that study saying that people who self injure do it in part to release opiates that they do not release as easily or freely, and that do not last as long in their systems as they do for others.
I found this VERY ENCOURAGING. And while I will admit, methadone became a new type of addiction, even my psychiatrist said that if I have to exchange one bad thing for another, maybe going to the methadone clinic isn't such a bad thing. I can function and think clearly on methadone. I can get things done on methadone without falling into a deep depression that keeps me in bed or drunk for months. And most importantly, I NO LONGER HAVE ANY DESIRE to hurt myself whatsoever.
Now, I don't give all of the credit to methadone, in fact, it belongs to my God, who I believe led me down the path to try it because I had become addicted to pain medication, and was more concerned about the damage the Tylenol and or aspirin would do than I was concerned about the opiate part of the medicine.
Methadone worked for me.
But let me warn you, it is also something that comes with it's own downside - for sure. It's just comparing before and after is like comparing two different lives. It makes sense to me now that Revia (an opiate antagonist) also made me have no desire to drink. And I will swear by it as a cure to alcoholism. But I will also swear that opiates are a cure to self injurious behavior (this is all just my opinion and experience of course) -- but I would be happy to discuss it further with anyone who is feeling hopeless.
Going to a methadone clinic is a lot simpler than most people think. You don't have to be addicted to heroin -- I've never touched it in my life, and I believe as research in this area continues, they will discover that the lack of natural opiates is the cause of most if not all self injurious behavior. Opiates used to be prescribed as anti-depressants about a century ago, and I really believe they were on to something. It is just that America became so terrified of "addiction" we threw out the baby with the bathwater. For example, VValium is one of THE SAFEST drugs there is, it is nearly impossible to overdose on (without combining other substances, obviously) and yet in the 60's and 70's a bunch of bored housewives feared they were "hooked" and so their doctors panicked and stopped prescribing a very helpful med as often as they should have. We are seeing the same thing with a country wide mass hysteria over people becoming "addicted to opiates" -- God forbid. Meanwhile - don't take any one's Prozac or Paxil away -- they could suffer physical withdrawal, they need to taper off, and why should they if they "need" it? IMO that should be the same approach docs have to pain meds, and anything else people "need". If you physically need it, of course you will be physically and psychologically addicted. But if it doesn't hurt your body, soul, or mind - SO WHAT? Why don't they just give us what we NEED and stop having so many pseudo-ethical dilemmas? We live in a country that doesn't hesitate to kill unborn babies without even sedating them, and until a recent supreme court decision didn't even have a problem killing (euphemism "aborting") them, as they were born, in a barbaric practice called "partial birth abortion - without anesthetic or pain relief for a baby that could FEEL every bit of it, that is the scientific fact. And yet doctors have "ethical and moral" problems relieving pain for people who need drugs that could be categorized as "addictive" -- how ridiculous!!! Does anyone else see the IRONY and the HYPOCRISY and the pure baloney of it all?
Anyway, I digress.
Opiates can help you if you are a self injurer and don't know why. Especially if you do it when you drink, and you are developing or have a drinking problem. Naltrexone could also help you in the same way. I encourage you to talk to your doctor about the research on this, and to explore options that might be out there for you. I want to encourage you - you are not crazy, and you do not struggle alone. You are a frustrated genius, and it is very likely that you find it frustrating that you cannot find anyone to listen to, to see, or to relate to your pain and so a lot of what you are doing is symbolic. It is so people can SEE that you are in pain even though you don't really want anyone to see it at all once you have recovered from the onslaught of it, and yet you are left with the tell-tale embarrassing scars. I know. I have been there.
And my God and the path He is leading me on is setting me free - finally after over three decades of suffering in that way.
If you need help, or support, or have questions, I am here for you. And remember Deuteronomy 31:8 - so is God - He promised he would be. And that, friends is GREAT NEWS!! May He help you find a path to freedom from this pain -- remember the TRUTH will set you free!!!
God bless all those who are struggling with this. IT DOES get better in time, I PROMISE ... even if you don't believe anything else I've said. You are here for a reason, and maybe it is to bring understanding and compassion to this hugely ignored percentage of our population that is crying out for understanding -- and just to know that they are not weird because of their affliction. I assure you, struggling with self- injurious behaviour just shows that you are unique and creative in expressing deep pain, and that you can feel a lot more than most. Like say, Paris Hilton is someone who I am sure wouldn't even begin to understand what you are going through. And that is a good thing!
Best regards, it will get better ... here's to hope - it isn't nearly as far away as you may think, and you will see it soon if you keep watch ...
Sincerely,
~S.D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: There may be a PHYSICAL explanation for self injury - here's some help and hope

My opinion on many mental health problems are that they start because we never learned how to deal with our feelings. Our bodies run wonderfully if we do not interfere with their functioning. We have feelings for very valuable reasons. When our upbringing interferes with this natural process of feelings I feel that it messes us up biochemically. This argument would lead me into your argument. The cure IMO would be to work with yourself to get your body functioning as it should again. Learn how to deal with your very natural feelings.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

Somni Divine HB User
Lightbulb Re: There may be a PHYSICAL explanation for self injury - here's some help and hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
My opinion on many mental health problems are that they start because we never learned how to deal with our feelings. Our bodies run wonderfully if we do not interfere with their functioning. We have feelings for very valuable reasons. When our upbringing interferes with this natural process of feelings I feel that it messes us up biochemically. This argument would lead me into your argument. The cure IMO would be to work with yourself to get your body functioning as it should again. Learn how to deal with your very natural feelings.
I've also read an interesting study on autism lately, in which the theory is that autistic children have digestive problems that don't allow them to properly absorb their body's natural occuring opiates. This makes sense to me, as I have two identical twin autistic nephews both diagnosed before the age of ten months (which is very early). It makes sense that they feel somewhat "high" all of the time, and have to fight that to act "normal". While I used to agree with your theory on a lot of things, I have since learned that in the "nature vs nurture" debates both are usually to blame, and the debate is pointless. It sounds like you are trying not only to box this into a "nurture" type problem, but also to put said problem into the "chicken or the egg" order, which I don't think is the same for everyone, though it may help you to understand it if it is in nice organized boxes. For some people it was environment triggering chemical difficulties, for others, chemical problems surface and cause further harm to one's environment somewhere in their life, and for others it is some mix of both. The origin is not nearly as important as the cure anyway IMHO. So, I hope that "learning to deal with your very natural feelings" is not advice to avoid a medical option that is based on nature and science and for many IS a CURE for horrible suffering that comes with a stigma of shame. Is this a problem you have dealt with personally and conquered by dealing with your feelings? If so, could you elaborate?
I think that feelings in which one desires to cut or burn or hurt oneself are not at all "natural". Just the opposite. But at least than can be explained, in my case (and many others) by a very common denominator amongst the population suffering with this problem, and while it is far from natural, or normal, I agree that there is a cure that can be found within nature that is normal.
I guess I don't understand the nature of your post at all, Sannah. This has nothing to do with "learning how to deal with feelings". You will find most people that do self harm learned the very same things about it that the people who do not self harm learned about it (which is not much, other than it is "wrong" and "bad" behaviour to be ashamed of). People who do self harm do not have an emotional learning defecit. They learned how to deal with their feelings in a more appropriate way, but the feelings are too intense and complex to be dealt with the "natural" way. They have a chemical imalance, which for most of them is an amazing relief to learn. I feel like your post is rather dismissive of something that may give someone who has suffered with something they don't understand for the majority of their life great relief (finally a reason it makes sense, and a way to fix it!) and trivializes both the condition and the cure. Why would you want to do that? I don't understand. Do you have a desire to "cheapen" my post because I am new, or because you have never struggled with the problem and have no empathy for the agony it puts a person through?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: There may be a PHYSICAL explanation for self injury - here's some help and hope

Hi Somni, I just formed this opinion from what I have read here. Why do people who SI have feelings that are too intense and complex? From everyone who I have listened to here it was because they weren't allowed to express those feelings and what caused the feelings were dysfunctional environments. Never talked to anyone here where that wasn't the case. I just want to discuss the issue, not degrade your opinion. Knowledge comes from discussion. We might both learn something here. I have had to learn to deal with my feelings and everyone who I have come across here on all of the mental health boards seems to have the same issues. No malice intended here, I swear!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
(female)

Somni Divine HB User

Sannah,
I'm sorry I am sort of frustrated because I have written you two lengthy replies to your last question and comments that were both lost. I will be more brief now, but I am not trying to be "curt" - just frustrated with losing long answers (having some trouble with my PC). To answer your question briefly, people who SI hurt more because they do not release the natural opiates, and endorphins others do when they are hurting. They also tend to be very empathetic, and sympathetic, sensitive people. They feel things more, and they have less natural relief because of a chemical imbalance. It is very similar to clinical depression, and in fact most self injuring people are also suffering from depression. The thing I am trying to point out is that they are not "weird" or "abnormal" or even dealing with the pain in an unusual way - they are dealing with it in an intelligent and creative way, because for them (us) it is THE ONLY WAY THAT WORKS unless and until they realize they do not release opiates like others when they feel pain, and what might be an emotional "scratch" to you is something that can make them bleed to death. The emotional tsunamis they go through can only be quelled by the opiates and opiate receptors, and endorphins and other chemicals that are released in other people during times of such emotional angst by them enduring some sort of physical pain which serves to 1. Distract from the emotional situation and 2. Release the chemicals and natural pain relievers into their system via the physical pain relief route. Until they realize they are not weird and don't have some unheard of problem, and that they simply have a chemical imbalance that has been cured (mine has been for several years now) they may feel as if there is no hope and there is no cure. I just wanted to present them with the truth - and the support - to let them know that this is a legitimate medical condition, confirmed by scientific research - and there is a scientific, medical, chemical CURE. People do not have to suffer like this and injure themselves to get relief from their internal pain. They just need to work together with a knowledgable doctor on finding the right medications to take away the desire to cut or burn or hurt themselves and lesson their pain to a normal and therefore "manageable in 'normal ways" type of pain.
I apologize for my defensiveness. It is just that yes, many people have been through similar suffering in mental health forums, but all of them fall into different catagories when it comes to how they deal with it.
And for this problem, Sannah, way too many who suffer from it keep it a "shameful little secret" not realizing that help is available if they can find the courage to ask for it. Hopefully there will be cures like this for everything on this board come along, but for self injurers - this is a time to breathe a big sigh of relief, inhale a deep breath of courage, and talk to your doctor about how to get help with the desire you have to hurt yourself, and how to get over it - forever - because you really can!
Sorry I thought there was malice intended Sannah, it's just I am so excited about this news, and the potential it has to heal. I know you weren't trying to be harmful now. Thank you for being open minded.
~SD
P.S. I hope this answers any questions you or anyone else has, I'd be happy to anwser any other questions. Sorry for any typos or spelling errors, I just want to post this before it vanishes on me too!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Somni, I have never thought of those who SI as weird or abnormal. Compassion gets triggered in me and I just hope that they can find out how to stop. Can't wait to read other responses.... See you around!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
(female)

Somni Divine HB User

I wonder why no one else has anything to say here? For me, what I have written about was a cure for self injury! It was the answer to "why do people self injure?" or "why does anyone self injure?" or at least "why do I self injure."
What I found out about the chemical causes of self injury in my case (and there were psychological causes as well) but the fact that the chemical was the MAJOR contributing factor actually cured me. Do people who self injure want to be cured or helped? I think sometimes they don't, I know sometimes I didn't. That was the psychological part - I felt I deserved what I did to myself. But once the chemicals were fixed I never, no, not once EVER have self injured or had even the desire to do so, even if I felt like I deserved to have some sort of punishment. It is amazing to me - I mean -- I hope some of you people that self injure will start up some conversation in here - ask some questions - or say what you think. I want to help people that suffer from something that unfortunately, they think they deserve and so they probably do not want to stop doing ... but I'm telling you -- YOU DO NOT DESERVE IT and there are other ways of dealing with the pain! There is "no way out" of pain -- the only way out is to GO THROUGH IT when it enters your life. But you can go through it and suffer more, or you can go through it and know that it will bring you strength and character, and many other virtues, compassion for others who struggle with this problem, etc.. For their sake, if not your own, I cry out to all of you who SI - give getting through the pain without physically cutting and burning and hurting yourself a chance -- it is a better way to live -- it is freeing -- to be free of the shame alone is such a relief. To speak nothing of being free of the pain because you made it through -- and the first time you make it through without a physical scar to show for it is absolutely invigorating!!! It is the first step to a new life that you will actually enjoy -- even if you think you don't deserve it, believe me, you do. There is nothing you have ever thought or done that entitles you to self injure and to say it is the only way you can deal with it. That is a sad excuse for not wanting to examine the problem and be rid of it. Trust me, you can be rid of it -- forever!!! And insight is the first step (in my opinion) to stopping self injurious behavior. Please, will the people who hurt themselves speak out??? Or ask questions?? I really want to hear what you think of this thread. I have shared a lot in hopes of helping a lot, and am willing to share, or help more if I can!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I doubt your going to see much action on this board. People know that when you injure you trigger your adrenaline and feel better. Then there are a hundred other reasons why they do it on a psycological level. People who self injure do it for a time period then stop on their own when their world begins to make more sense. I am a long term cutter off and on in the middle of a bad spat I don't feel the razor and the adrenaline never shows up. If you want to compare self injury to something compare it to yoga for in the end your just trying to achieve inner peace

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
(female)

Somni Divine HB User

Thanks for your honesty, trg. At least YOU posted something (WINK).
All the best to you,
~SD
PS. I have written some things about what you said in the thread called "tired" (I think) if you want to understand more of where I am coming from. I truly have a desire to help people who struggle with what we have both endured, and for them to find their way through it sooner rather than later, because it usually does "self resolve" but there are many ways to expidite that process, it's just most of us "cutters" don't have the energy or enough desire to care for the person we loathe and harm to pursue the medical options. Have you ever tried taking vicodin or something like that instead of cutting, just out of curiosity? I really believe that a KEY piece of the puzzle is the missing opiates in people who S.I.. Of course it is also usually deeply rooted in each person's psychology, as I addressed in the other mentioned thread - but don't you wonder why others with similar psychological profiles would never even consider S.I. or if they did find any relief in it? There is a reason is the message I am trying to get out and it isn't some vague unknown chemical - it is specific. In my case,when it got to the point that my self destruction extended to "self medicating" and I went through a near deadly on many levels and in many ways, "alcoholic phase" (which was the one that really almost did me in, by the way - alcohol and self injuring tendencies can be deadly.) QUICKLY DEADLY, and yet sadly are very common. It is TRAGICALLY SAD because like I said there is a different chemical ANSWER. When I became addicted to "painpills" instead of alcohol, I realized I no longer had the need or even felt the desire to cut. I did on alcohol - in fact, the desire increased, but on opiates the desire to cut and self injure just evaporated. I would suggest, if you are in a bad phase, and you drink, talk to your doctor about checking out revia aka naltrexone. It should do two things for you - stop your desire to drink and to self injure because of the way that it works on the opiate receptors in the brain. If you don't drink, you probably still could talk to a psychiatrist about giving revia a shot, as there is more and more research coming out to show that the "side effects" of that particular medication have amazing potential in other areas of psychiatry and applications that work much better than the original goal of the med which was to "cure" heroin addicts by making the heroin not get them high - (thus resulting in lots of overdoses because they didn't quit trying). So, while naltrexone/revia is basically worthless in what it was created for, it is a miracle drug/cure for alcoholism and has many other promising effects not yet fully explored. Including a reduction if not complete elimination of the desire and will TO self injure. So, I am not saying that it replaces the "adrenaline" as you put it, what I am saying is that it releaves the feeling for or the need to obtain that adrenaline, in a way I can't explain -- unless you take it and it works for you. If it doesn't, I really suggest you discuss buprenorphine or methadone, or some other opiate type treatment with your doc because mark my words -- they are going to find that it's the answer. The researchers and pharmaceutical companies may well already know this, but because of the connotations be trying to come up with something else. Is it better to be a "junky" or a "cutter"? How about neither? How about someone on methadone maintence or bupeprenorphine treatment for a treatable chemical imbalance that causes a person to injure themself? That is all I am trying to say.
IT WORKS.
It has worked for a LOT of people.
I think it is just one of those ethical/moral scientific dilemmas where the scientists are trying to figure out something more socially acceptable and "P.C." than the only answer, because the answer is that opiates bring S.I. to a complete HALT and they are afraid of turning a bunch of self injurers into a bunch of "addicts". So, it looks better statistically if the self injurers keep it to themselves, and keep quiet (which they tend to do anyway) instead of demand the treatment (opiates) that will prevent them from harming themselves, and possibly eventually killing themselves, even if it is "accidentally because they are drunk" -- the pharmaceutical companies don't have any responsibility and don't have to be involved that way. But if people who self injure would start to demand a medical cure, because there is one, even if the docs and the pharm companies are afraid to name it, life would be better for so many people. They would actually have a GOOD QUALITY OF LIFE! And the problem is they don't think they deserve it, or they wouldn't have the problem in the first place, so they will be the last to rock the boat when I'm saying it needs rocking!!!!
Sorry to go on so long in a post-script, it just frustrates me to know that there is a cure, and it is not widely known or made available because of the socio-political and moral/ethical implications and fears of the people who have the power to HELP! :-(
I am interested if any other people with a tendency to self injure have noticed a reduction in the desire to do so while on any type of opiate treatment. THAT is what I am getting at. I suspect a RESOUNDING YES is the answer. And WORD NEEDS TO GET OUT!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Somni Divine; 09-06-2007 at 11:35 PM.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
(female)

ducky78 HB User

I have been a self injurier for many years, I have went through periods in my life where I did not do self injury for up to 5 years at one time. Here is my question how long have you been injury free?

If there is a miracle cure out there, that is great. But here is the down side I do not have any medical insurance and I am not going to make another doctor bill for myself. If I was going to make a doctor bill it would be for one of my children. Here is another down side I do not want to be addicted to another problem, I have been dealing with my self injury for 18 years why make more problems for myself. I know it looks like I dont want to stop injurying, but I do. I just have to get my mind in the right place and deal with my past and stop running from my pain. I am not saying you are wrong for what you believe in and I am glad to hear that you are cured from self injury. ducky78

Old 09-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
(female)

Somni Divine HB User
Smile Re: There may be a PHYSICAL explanation for self injury - here's some help and hope

Dear Ducky,
I have been self injury free for over five years - I'm not sure how many years more exactly. Anywhere from 5-8 years.. The first three started when I started the methadone clinic consistently (going in every day but Sunday to get my medicine in the beginning.) Methadone can cost you anywhere from about $20-$50 a week, that's depending on how much you take, and a lot of clinics operate on a siding scale, so that they can still help you out if you don't have a lot of money. Most clinics don't take insurance anyway.
IF it didn't work, I wouldn't have wanted to "add" to my addictive problems either. But it worked, for me, it took away at least three problems: one, my addiction to pain pills, two, my addiction to alcohol, and three, my tendency to Self Injuring behavior (including the drinking, pills, and probably other stuff I'm not thinking of -- bad relationships, etc.) not to mention the cutting. If I would have known it would ONLY stop the cutting, and I had to trade either being addicted to cutting, or being addicted to methadone, I would have traded being a cutter for being on methadone anyway. And I didn't have to be on it forever. I haven't been on it for a couple of years at least now, and I still have no desire to cut, or otherwise self injure. I tapered myself off of the methadone on my own, without the clinic's help. And there was a while I abused it - I was up to over 250 mg some days, because I liked the buzz I got from more. (Most "junkies" say methadone won't make you high, and have successfully convinced a lot of doctors that it doesn't, but if you take more than your 'tolerance level' you can obtain "euphoria" quite easily, and it is addictive, despite what they tell you. Junkies have one reason for saying it doesn't get you high, and the doctors have a different motive (hoping they have found a 'cure' for heroin addiction .. so they both accept each other's lies on the issue and hope the truth doesn't come out ...) I think you should know the truth though. It took me a month to stop using it, and it was NOT an easy month, but I am now free of all of the things PRIOR to using it that made me want to die or at least feel like hurting myself all of the time. I'm not saying the answer was totally the methadone, but it had a lot to do with it. Opiates take away the desire to self injure - PERIOD and EXCLAMATION POINT!!! They do open the door to a new addiction you may not have though, and so my advice would be to approach it more carefully. I think that Revia aka Naltrexone, which also takes away the desire for alcohol (even though you may be used to drinking, and think you want a drink or to get drunk, you won't be able to make it through more than half a drink. And the upsides on that are it is NOT addictive, does NOT cause euphoria at all, and also takes away the desire to self injure. It works a different way on the opiate receptors - more like an anti-opiate). IF you are someone who does not just self injure, but also tends to "self medicate" either of these options will save you money in the long run. But if you don't, they may not be the answer for you, ducky.
[removed]
Warm wishes for continuous recovery for you,
Somni Divine
PS. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A GREAT MOM!!!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-10-2007 at 01:49 AM. Reason: do not instruct others regarding religion

Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Your body produces whatever chemicals in certain amounts. According to you if you increase the opiates then the desire to self injure goes away. So you take methadone for x number of years with no self injury behavior but then you stopped taking it. Common logic says the desire to cut should come back as the opiate level will return to where it was before. This does not makes sense or any logic. I lack certain chemicals in my brain in proper amounts so I need to take three antidepressants, a mood stabilizer and a sleeping med to get through the day. If I wanted to I could still be taking Zyprexa an antipsycotic that destroys any urge to self injure but comes with some of the nastiest side effects that I have seen. The majority of people who come on this board are people who are depressed and have turned to cutting for a way of a release or long term cutters who have had a setback and looking for support to stop again. So I tell them to find something that replaces the actual harm: snap elastic bands on their wrists, squeeze ice cubes in their hands, just try to keep your hands busy until the urge passes because it always does. Do people still harm themselves of course they do but hopefully the damage will be minimal and it will get them through to when they are thinking more clearly and more in control. Methadone might work but they are not the solution. If people who self harm find a better way to deal with the turmoil internally then the razor or whatever can be put away for good.
On a seperate note I have been on this site for a long time and people here have a tendency of avoiding members who push religion on their posts. Religion here tends to do more harm then good. Just my opinion

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 09-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #13
(female)

ducky78 HB User

Here is the next question that keeps nagging at me, when you go off of the drugs, what happens then?

I know how addiction works I smoked cigarettes for 15 years and I quit smoking almost 2 years ago. But here is the funny thing I had enough will to quit smoking, but not enough to put my self injury behind me. Maybe I have a chemical imbalance, but I do not see that a drug is ging to fix the problem unless I am going to be on it for the rest of my life Or could it be that most of my problems are things from my crappy childhood. I feel that when a child is put through horrible things the child does not know how to react to anger, saddness, happiness, the feeling of losing control. So when this child grows up to be an adult they deal with the feelings the same way as they did when they were a child. I cut when I feel like I am losing control and when I am angry. When I was a child I was put through many things that I could not control, but when I cut I can control that.

Here is my point I feel that my self injury problem has to do with my childhood and that I injuried to have feelings, and to release feelings that overwhelmed me. So the solution I am coming up with is I have to deal with the pain inside, no matter how hard and painful it is. As far as religion, I do believe in a god, but I do not attend church. I feel I can reach god from my home. As far as the bible never read it and never found a reason to read it. But this is my belief and I am not saying your beliefs are wrong.
ducky78

Last edited by ducky78; 09-10-2007 at 06:57 AM. Reason: added

Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky78 View Post
Maybe I have a chemical imbalance, but I do not see that a drug is ging to fix the problem unless I am going to be on it for the rest of my life Or could it be that most of my problems are things from my crappy childhood.

I feel that when a child is put through horrible things the child does not know how to react to anger, saddness, happiness, the feeling of losing control. So when this child grows up to be an adult they deal with the feelings the same way as they did when they were a child.

I cut when I feel like I am losing control and when I am angry. When I was a child I was put through many things that I could not control, but when I cut I can control that.

Here is my point I feel that my self injury problem has to do with my childhood and that I injuried to have feelings, and to release feelings that overwhelmed me.

So the solution I am coming up with is I have to deal with the pain inside, no matter how hard and painful it is.
Hi Ducky, this is exactly what I have come to understand from this board and I totally agree with your cure.

Hope you are doing alright!

Closed Thread