It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

kariseena HB User
Question....

Hi. I have a question. I use to injure myself. I would use a sharp guitar string to poke holes in my finger tips to get blood out, hit myself, and bang my body up against walls (in wanting to break my bones). I remember being worried about what my mother would think or what my friends would think. I remember that I turn to religion to help myself recover, but in the end, I don't know if it really did help or blinded me from real issues (I can't remember too clearly). Its been at least two years since I stopped, but for the past few months, I've wanted to hurt myself. In fact, about a month and a half ago, I was sitting with a pair of scissors and trying to cut myself. (Thankfully the blade was too dull.) I'm not doing it right now, but I'm wondering what should I do in order to not have those urges to come up again. I don't want to worry my family about it and I'm not sure what triggers it, so some tips would be lovely if you have any. Thank you.

Last edited by kariseena; 03-18-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Question....

A normal trigger for people with a self harm history is that they are allowing the emotions inside to build and when it gets to a certain level the brain remembers how it use to handle it which is through self harm. Is there something that you have been putting aside and not dealing with? Lasting over two years is quite the accomplishment and shows that you have other healthy coping mechanisms to put the urges in check. Some times is helps if you just "free write" or in other words just grab a pen and paper and let everything inside out on paper and that may help identify what the problem is.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Kari, I totally agree with Trg and would also agree that working on what is really bothering you is the way to go.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
(female)

Dzesn HB User

I agree with the writing. When my problem started to come back up after 2 years I wrote down what I could remember about what was going on in my life when I was cutting a lot and then I wrote down the things in my life at that time that could have been causing those current feelings. Comparing the 2 helped to figure out what it was in my life that needed to be eliminated and sometimes it was being trigger by things that I didn't have in my life, a lack of accomplishments.

It's important that you find out what triggers it and then fix.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
(female)

kariseena HB User

Thanks guys. I will try out your suggestions!

Thanks again!

Closed Thread