It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
(female)

s402310 HB User
Counseling

I have been struggling with cutting for almost 6 years and the last few months has been really pretty bad. I went into a counselor on my campus this past week and it was good to have some on to talk to how might actually be able to help but she is not going to be available to talk with students the rest of the summer. Is counseling really the answer? Or is it just a mental thing and isn't really needed? Also, she offered to refer me to another counselor since she will not be here or I can wait tell august to meet with her again. Should I wait it out and meet with her cause I like her and the way she was in session. Also, if you have any good advice on how to stop that would be fantastic...

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Counseling

I personnally think that counselling is a must in this battle. I also am a long term cutter in the midst of a relapse, and this has been the worst one and the hardest to get under control, I'm actually seeing my psychologist twice a week now for counseling and my psychiatrist every 2 - 3 weeks for med mgmt. Starting yesterday my tdoc(psychologist) suggested ice therapy as an alternative coping skill, basically when you get that first glimpse of an urge to cut you mist your hand with water put a plastic bag over it and thrust it in a bowl full of ice and leave it there....she says it hurts like a son of a b****, and after a while your too busy concnetrating on the pain and trying to get the ice off of you, so you don't need to cut...in theory it sounds like it may work..so we'll see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

s402310 HB User

But is that really dealing with the issue, or is just another copeing mechanism. Because I am not about finding anymore coping mechanisms I have to many of the as is. I want to know why I am cutting and how to make it stop. From the source. And also, this is just a personal thing of mine but in your reply you referred to yourself as a cutting. I have heard this from other people and believe it myself also, that if you ever want to stop cutting as a habit then don't define yourself as a cutter. Just an idea that might help. Saying you are a cutter lowers your worthyness as opposed to cutting which is just an action. Less connection with it all. Just a thought for you. Hope things get better.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

See that's the diff. between you and me, I already know why I cut...and use therapy to work through those feelings and find different coping skills. You could use therapy to find out why you cut, I mean look at it this way...at this point, really, what have you got to lose by giving it a try?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

s402310 HB User

hey.
that would be why i went in and talk to a lady a couple of weeks ago. because i figured what else do i have to lose. its good advice and thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello S,

I would suggest looking into a rigid program where you will not only find out the underlying reasons but also preventive measures.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
(female)

RhondaV123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hello S,

I would suggest looking into a rigid program where you will not only find out the underlying reasons but also preventive measures.

Take care.

Phoenix

I totally agree with Phoenix on this. My daughter's psych was a wonderful guy and treated her with respect and dignity!! Look around. If you find and don't like them, you can always change. After all, they are working for YOU in a sense. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
(female)

autumn29 HB User

hi ive been sh for jst under two years it depends on wht goes through your mind at the time you do it and also wht you wish to get out of it im still at secondry school so i just see the nurse because i dnt want ma mum to find out but you shld try the rubber band and get a stress ball mines called mary and i keep it with me all the time

Old 07-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn29 View Post
i dnt want ma mum to find out
A,

Your mum needs to be aware of the situation.

Is there any reason why you don't feel this would be a good idea?

Phoenix

Old 07-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
(female)

autumn29 HB User

yes we kinda dont get on and i wouldnt know how she would react, its better if she never knows

Closed Thread