It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

Kacey98007 HB User
Cutting?

I've heard of people cutting themselves. My daughter has multiple scratches on her arm. She said she

deleted

just did it to relieve some stress. Does cutting start out like this? Or is this nothing to worry about?

Last edited by Administrator; 06-23-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: deleted inappropriate details

Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
(female)

littlesadone HB User
Re: Cutting?

yes, it can start that way....and it can get worse...get help for her...talk to her about BETTER ways to relieve stress...exercise, talking to you or a friend, writing her feelings down, dancing, gtting her hands busy......hurting your body to relive stress like that is not a good thing and it can get worse....she may NEVER intend for it to, but many people who self injure never meant for it to...I don't mean to scare you.....your daughtr may not be at high risk, I don't know, but cutting is a big thing with teenagers these days, it's almost an acceptable thing, and the sooner she can stop or learn not to continue it, the better it wlil be.....the longer it goes on the harder it gets...i know from experience.....

so, don't freak out on her...she doesn't need that....and it may have been a one time thing...you will have to talk to her and feel her out more to find out.......but talking to her about other ways to relive stress would be good...ANd do any of hre friends do it????? talking to her about NOT having to go along with the crowd and be like others might be in order......depends upon if her freinds are into it......

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
(female)

ladygreanz29 HB User

thats how it started for me.. i was really stressed one day and it seemed like a good idea and it felt like it helped.. i thought it was no big deal, neither did my mom when i told her that it was just because i was stressed and it was nothing. that was when i was 11.. i have cut nonstop now for 6 years.. please, get your daughter some help.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacey98007 View Post
I've heard of people cutting themselves. My daughter has multiple scratches on her arm. She said she just did it to relieve some stress. Does cutting start out like this? Or is this nothing to worry about?
Hello K,

Please realize that SI is used as a coping mechanism that tends to pervade the psyche.

This is definitely something to be concerned about.

Might I suggest a therapist and/or psychiatrist?

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
(female)

autumn29 HB User

if your daughter is at school perhaps you should speak to the school nurse its better to speak to someone like that because if she hasnt done it before it might just be a one off

Old 07-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

blue cloud HB User

make sure she knows you are there for her to talk to and ask her what help she thinks she might need?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

Kacy, yes that is something to worry about. My sister used to cut herself and then it escalated to burning herself with cigarettes.

Closed Thread