It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

autumn29 HB User
Just for some questions

Hey ive never made a new thread so i thought i'd give it a go.
I was wandering if you could answer some questions people?

1. what did you guys think about self harm before you started?
2. What do you thnk about people who self harm for the attention?(like this girl i knew who pulls her sleeves up to show everybody and brought a knife in)
3. Do you regret ever self harming or do you think that in a way it helped?

These are some questions that i was thinking about. If you wanna ask questions or stuff then this is a good thread.
Take care all,
autumn

Old 01-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

pat53 HB User
Re: Just for some questions

Self-harm is not a good thing at all....when I found out that my second husband was having an affair I started to self-harm myself several times a week....I'd punch myself as hard as I could...causes bruises.....I actually gave myself a black eye...I didn't do this for attention though....I was doing it because I thought I was worthless....I'm 2 years out of divorce and now know that I am in fact very worth it.....he was the loser....and now he is desperate and hurting....he still tries to contact me.....I have no interest....I've never been more content in my life.....please everyone...anyone....don't hurt yourself......talk to someone....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Hey kiddo,

Well you pretty much know my answers to these questions, but I'll answer them anyway:

1. Back when I started cutting, 26 yrs. ago, self harm wasn't a much known thing, I hadn't really heard much about it, so I didn't have an opinion formed one way or the other. Mine started rather innocently, I was new at shaving my legs and the razor slipped to the side putting a large 2 blade width gash in my leg....and as I looked at it...something just clicked and I did it again and again.

2. Self Harming for attentions sake is so incredibly stupid. Those are the ones who end up accidentally killing themselves or hurting themselves very very badly, because they don't know what they're doing and they take it to far.

3. Most Definitely I regret it. God I would give anything if I could turn the clock back. It does help for a bout 15 - 30 minutes, but then everything just comes rushing back just like it was.

k

Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
(female)

autumn29 HB User

Thankyou for answering my questions both of you. I have another question and its about this girl.
Do you think that i should confront her and tell her that she shouldnt do it for attention and i do it too and if i didnt say you would not know?
Or should i just go on ignoring it and be extra cautious that i keep my sleeves down because people will just say i am like this girl?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

hmmm..that's a tough one, what kind of girl is she? If you tell her do you think she's going to go shooting her mouth off and telling everyone that you SH? Do you think that she's a good person that really is just calling for help by wanting the attention? Is this someone you could be a friend to and help understand that this is not something you do for attention nor do you run around bragging about it unless you want to end up in a psych ward?

Ask yourself these questions, answer them HONESTLY and that should give you a pretty good feeling of what you want to do.

Hope this works. Have you started seeing your counselor yet?

k

Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
(female)

HisGirl17 HB User
Smile Re: Just for some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn29 View Post
Hey ive never made a new thread so i thought i'd give it a go.
I was wandering if you could answer some questions people?

2. What do you thnk about people who self harm for the attention?(like this girl i knew who pulls her sleeves up to show everybody and brought a knife in)

These are some questions that i was thinking about. If you wanna ask questions or stuff then this is a good thread.
Take care all,
autumn
Ok so I used to do self harm to myself, I would cut, and I would drink. Before I did it I thought it was kind of out there. When I did do it at the time that I did, I thought hey this isn't to bad, and it helped me get my mind of of other things. And yes I do regret cutting myself. I now have scars on my arm, wrist, and anckle that my two year old niece asks me about. And just so you know I have gone to counseling, and no longer do that.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
(female)

BreathNoMore HB User

-To be quite honest with you, I didn't really have much of an opinion about it. I was 11 years old when I began, and self harm wasn't really one of those subjects that was talked about.

-They make me sick. (no offense to your friend) It's people like that who stigmatize people who struggle with self harm. Self harm isn't a fad or a trend, it's a very serious problem caused by deep emotional turmoil. People who cut for attention only fuel the misunderstanding...

-I very much so regret self harming. Cutting myself may have eased the pain temporarily, however, in the long run, all it left me with was more pain and horrible scars that will never go away.

I say you should confront her about it. You don't necessarily have to tell her about your situation, but just let her know what she's doing is wrong. It's obvious this girl has issues..maybe she just needs someone to talk to. who knows?!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
(female)

autumn29 HB User

She is a bit strange and she probably would tell everyone about me so i think that i should just leave her to her own devices, i just do not want anybody knowing that i sh because i think i would die.
About this cousiler i have not started seeing her properly but i went to the padua and spoke to her and i asked her when i was going to see her, she said that i was not down on her list so i do not know whether i should go to the person who said i was gonna see her and ask whats going on.
A teacher said on friday who teaches me science on thusdays asked me why i seemed moody and why i was getting into trouble, i just shrugged it off and said "you would not want to know" should i go and speak to him because i think that he is nive enough or should i be caucious? i am like that the whole teacher help thing sucks me up because i havnt got many people to talk to.
well take care

Breathe i never said this girl was my friend and infact i feel angry that she has said that because people are bad mouthing sh and i feel sick incase they find me out. I also feel bad that i feel like this because she is probable not well

Last edited by autumn29; 01-12-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
(female)

BreathNoMore HB User

"A teacher said on friday who teaches me science on thusdays asked me why i seemed moody and why i was getting into trouble, i just shrugged it off and said "you would not want to know"

God, that statement reminds me of how I was in school. I would talk to somebody about it because no matter who you tell, all they are going to want to do is help, and that's a good thing.

"Breathe i never said this girl was my friend..."

I didn't want to offend you just in case she was lol

GOOD LUCK!!

~*Krystal

Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Hey kiddo,

Definitely go and talk to the person who was supposed to get you signed up with the counselor and see what's up with the scheduling, you don't want that to get screwed up.

And, sounds like maybe the teacher might be able to help, huh? If you think he's nice, is really sincere and might be able to offer you some guidance and maybe just an ear to listen to you....what could it hurt? You don't have to just go in a say, "Hey I'm into Self Harm Fix Me!!", you know? Maybe you could just talk to him about your relationship with your mom or how much you miss your friends in Australia, you know, something like that...and then if that works out and you really start to trust him, and he really does earn your trust and helps you work through some stuff, maybe you could discuss the self harm. Might be worth a try, but its' up to you.

Give a yell later and let me know what you think.

I'm off to beddy bye. Talk at ya later.

K

Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
(female)

autumn29 HB User

yer but how do you know they will help you and he might think im a nutter, this teacher saw me in the "naughty class today" and he looked dissapointed so i think i probably lost the one chance to hae someone to talk to. Also what should i say to him? i hate talking to people about my problems so i am struggling.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Autumn,

You can't always be so quick to judge people. I know it's hard for you, because so many adults have let you down, but at some point you're going to have to choose someone to trust. Like I said you dont' have to go up to him and say, "Hey I'm into Self Harm, what do you think about that, wanna help me???" Just talk to him, let him get to know you, you get to know him and eventually maybe ask him how a teenager who has difficulties learns to trust an adult with their problems....trust me you'll know if he is someone that you can discuss this with. It's not something that is going to be easy or quick, it take time to build a trusting relationship, but if you give up before you even try, then you have no hope to help yourself.

K

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

And I'm sure that just because you got in trouble and had to go in a detention class, he doesn't think your a terrible person, I'm sure it would take more than that to convince him.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
(female)

autumn29 HB User

Well my life has gotteb worse! I have been put on report which incase you dont know is a nightmare! My mum has to sign it every night and she knows what i am up to at school. Also the teacher which i have been talking about got me in trouble and i walked out on him today. I also got a bit frightened today when i went to sctratch my hand coz it was itchy and in recked! i swore and it was lucky no one heard. I should be getting my new timetable which will tell me when i am to see the counciler. Should i still trust this teacher? I know he has to do his job but i am recnsidering it, i wish i could be better at school man. How are you Kat and the gang?
I got some bad news on monday, the mate which i told you about has gone back to hospital because of her anorexia there is me in my little world and i let her down again. Do you think that i should have done more? Also if you are anarexic do you ever get over it like you could with self harm or does it stay with you?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

okay let's take this one thing at a time, so how is your mum reacting to you being put on notice at school? Did you talk to her about what happened and why, or is she just angry about it? What do you mean that the teacher "got you in trouble"? Does that mean that you did something wrong and he had to punish you for it? Because honestly, you're going to have to take responsibily for that, as you said, he has to do his job. I'm sorry to hear about your friend with anorexia, but hon you can't take that on yourself. As far as whether or not it's "beatable" yes, it can be overcome just like self injury can, it takes a lot of work, but it can be done.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

k

Closed Thread