It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
(female)

loveanidiot12 HB User
what happens when i tell the school about a friend cutting

what happens when i tell the school about a friend cutting

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: what happens when i tell the school about a friend cutting

Well that depends on several variables, like how old your friend is, what type of counselor you tell, I'm imagining the Guidance Counselor. If we're talking Jr. High age, the Guidance Counselor would probably contact the students parents, I would think.

If it's a High School age student and you told the Guidance Counselor, I'm not sure that they would contact the parents. Sometimes once the student knows that their awful secret is out, it's a relief and they then let the Counselor call the parents in and tell them together, so it's easier that way.

Have you thought of perhaps going to the Guidance Counselor and saying, "I have a friend, whom wants to remain anonymous at this time, what would happen if I told you......", maybe then you would feel better about the whole situation.

Good luck and know that you can come here for support, this is a very large and heavy burden to carry on yourself alone.

k

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
(female)

autumn29 HB User

They cannot tell your parents about you cutting until they know why you do it and they wont tell your parents if you are not in any imediate danger. In my case you cant see a counciler unless your parents know because you are under sixteen but if you are older tha sixteen you can get one without your parents knowing. You should ask the person what they want to do about it if you feel you can and good luck with what you chose to do

Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

littlesadone HB User

The school should help the person get help...if the school does not, then you need to tell someone else, so the person can get help....keep telling until your friend gets help.....letting someone know and letting someone help is the best, maybe the only, way that people can stop self harming.....

People seem to have different opinions here about what the school will do...one said below they can't tell parents till they know why you are cutting....my experiences is not that way, schools can and will tell.....so maybe it alld epends upon what state or country or such that you are in, what the rules are....

That doesn't matter though..the telling is what is important...someone needs to know so your friend can get help

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
(female)

autumn29 HB User

I know we have our own experiences but at my school they will not tell your parents unless they know why you sh because it could be about them. For me my mother and i do not get on that well so the school telling my mum would not help me at all. Every school is different and depending on your age they will do what they think is inportant at that time. I am not sure you should tell everybody until one person helps because it can be quite distressing for the person and this person has trusted you, also i would not like it if my friend went and told everyone because sh is a very private thing and from my experience the teachers talk, most of the teachers know i sh and it has made my life hell so really think about you are going to do and do not do it all for the person try and see if the person can make the right decision for themselves.
Take care,
Autumn

Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
(female)

BreathNoMore HB User

As far as I know, everything that is told to a councelor is kept confidential UNLESS it involves some illegal activity or if the person is harming themselves or another person. Last time I checked, guidance councelors are required by law to report anything of this nature to the students parents. I would assume that they would first talk to the student about this to verify if it is true before going to their parents, but I'm almost positive that their parents would be notified.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
(female)

autumn29 HB User

I am not sure what you are referring to but if you are talking abiut sh they do not say anything to your parents about sh because that was the case with me if you go and recieve counsiling then you have to get there permission but you do not have to tell them why you need counsiling if you do not want to. Well thats what it is like in manchester and at my school i suppose each school wil handle it differently.

Closed Thread