It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
SI/Eviction?

Gosh, it's just not my day I had a therapy appointment which was not too bad, however I nearly cried about not feeling like a good enough parent . But , I listened and was able to stop from breaking down.
I then remembered that I recieved a Jury Summons so I went back home and returned with it. I had my Psyh. Doctor write a letter so I won't have to deal with it. It's for next Wed. Since i was already there I decided to ask one more question that was bothering me.
The last severe SI i had done the apt. manger found out because A tenat lied to them and said i had set myself on fire. They knew i had not, but said it anyway, because they themselves were getting evicted. they wanted me in trouble too. I recieved a letter asking about it, and i had to tell them I never have done that, and that i have Borderline Personality Disorder, and SI.
The Apt manager verbally told me not to SI. Well I have , so i was scared that she was going to try and evict me. I talked to my Psych. Dr. about it today and he used the words I have not heard before. LIke I have a mental illness and it is dicrimination for them to evict. For him to say it to me, was like oh, ok, a mental illness, hum.... u know what i mean? i just call it a personality disorder, and clinical depression. Mental illness, yikes. Sounds scary to hear it from a doctor. Especially one who has been treating me for years. Perhaps i am being overly dramatic. It just feels crappy though. I needed to vent. Now I am going to take a nap. that's what i do when I just don't feel right. After I smoke a cig.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: SI/Eviction?

Well sorry it hit you so hard, I'm really surprised your pdoc has never said that to you before. Self Injury is definitely a mental illness not a personality disorder. Another thing you did not have to tell your landlord that you self injur yourself. Don't ever think that you have to divulge that information to anyone. All you had to tell them was that you did not know what that person was talking about or why they said that. You could have said yes I do have a chronic medical condition that I am under the care of a doctor for but by Hippa law I do not have to disclose that infomation to you. And if they were to try and evict yo it's real simple you just tell hem that Discrimination is illegal and if they try it, then you would be glad to contact your attorney over the matter.

For now if they bring it up again, simply get a vague slightly threatening letter from your pdoc and that should take care of it.

Once again, maybe practice saying, "I, have a mental disorder" to yourslef in the bathroom mirror, so it will be come easir to accept.

kat

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Can you help clarify something? Self injury is not a separate mental illness in itself... What I do have a diagnoses of is Borderline Personality Disorder along with Clinical Depression.
What I think threw me off was for him to hear him to say outloud the words mental illness... gosh, it was like in my face. guess i am weak. for hearing it. I really like your explaination of how you put it to the landlord. As of recently I've been parking in the back, wearing a jacket, to hide my bandaged arm away from them. Scared to death they will see it . I do not want to have to explain to them at all about it. that is why I talked to the Pdoc. Thank you so much for your input

Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Mscat,

Self Injury is not a Mental Illness, it is a Disorder but is in the "mental" spectrum, so some pdoc/tdoc probably consider it a mental illness. It's in the same category as Anorexia, Bulemia, etc.

Glad I could help about the landlord, don't let them bully you.

kat

Closed Thread