It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

tjfitz HB User
Advice on my 6 year old, please

I have a 6 year old little boy. Typical boy, runs, jumps, talks a little too loud. But recently I have noticed different behaviors coming out in him. The past two days he has had major mood swings. Yesterday being the worse. His little cousin was over playing, and they have always fought and agrued. Most of the time his cousin getting in trouble for hitting him. Yesterday I noticed that he was provoking her; getting in her face when she didnt want him too ect; so I stepped in and told my son that it was'nt fair for her to get in trouble when he was picking on her. I sent him to his room. After she left (about a 5 minute period of time) I called for him and he didnt answer. I assumed he had fallen asleep. A few minutes after that he answered back, so I took it as he had just ignored me. I called him back down to me and proceeded to tell him that he couldnt be mean to her and that his little "attitude" needed to change. My son was standing behind our Christmas tree box, rocking himself back and forth. I asked him what he was doing and he hesitantly stepped out from behind the box only for me to see that he was a pink, plastic knife (from a playdoh kit) he had been slashing his arm. I couldnt help but cry. Then came his outbirst that everyone hates him, all his classmates are mean to him and he felt all alone. I spent the day trying to make him feel better, and watched his mood go from to sad and depressed to silly and extremly happy in a matter of minutes. Of course I realize that this is not normal beavior for a 6 year old little boy, my doctor comes back to town Monday and I intend to get him the help he needs. I was just hoping that there was someone out there who could help me understand whats going on. I've been seaching the internet and it seems to me like he may have bipolar disorder (which runs strongly in my family). I feel so helpless and any advice would help me so much right now....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User
Re: Advice on my 6 year old, please

Def. bi-polar and it sounds manic. Extreme highs and lows. I'm on Lamictal for my bi-polar...It's a mood stabilizer. Worked great for me but since your son is so young they will probably put him on something else. Just be careful to watch him really good tho because meds may cause him to become more depressed or suicidal. He's already displaying signs of self harm. I too have cut since I was 8 and I'm 21 now and have discovered that certain meds and combos make it worse. It's going to be frustrating tryin to find the right med dose or combo just try to monitor him real well if he starts meds!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

Clo88 HB User

Hi, how is ur son getting on now? Justvwonderibg if u stil need advice or not?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
(female)

tjfitz HB User

He is doing fine now. I had to get down to the root of the problem, which was a tough time, but I helped pull him through...thank you for asking though...

Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfitz View Post

He is doing fine now. I had to get down to the root of the problem, which was a tough time, but I helped pull him through...thank you for asking though...
This is unsolicited advice, but the odds of his problem being solved that easily are very rare. Being 42 yrs old and having been a cutter since I was 13....those feeling run pretty deep. You might just want to take him to a child psychologist, just to make sure that there isn't anything else that needs to be addressed. That said, I wish you and your son well.

Closed Thread