It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

bladepain HB User
Question did i make the right choice?

I started cutting when i was 12. Now i am almost 15. i stopped for 8 months, but then i started up again. about 3 months ago. I have been trying to stop again. today i gave my blades to my friend for safe keeping. i know that since i am trying to stop it was the right choice but its driving me insane. yes i have a back up blade but i dont want to go get it. thank god for laziness. lol. did i make the right choice in giving up my main blades?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
(female)

lizoza HB User
Re: did i make the right choice?

I think that you undoubtedly made the right decision. Harming yourself might seem like a good way to deal with emotional pain, but it doesn't really help anything. It is self-destructive and addictive.

Way to go! You should feel very proud of yourself for taking this step.

I think that in order to avoid slipping back into this destructive pattern, it would be useful to understand the things that triggered your desire to harm yourself in the past. If you can avoid those things in the future, it might prevent a relapse. In addition, you might want to learn other coping techniques for dealing with pain/distress like relaxation techniques/ deep breathing, and so on.

But really, you made a very good decision and the right choice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
(female)

evelyn123 HB User

Hi there,
I can tell you, from personal experience, any time you are able to stop (from hurting yourself) you should considered it a victory.

I am new to posting on this board; however, I am not new to the concept of cutting. I have been cutting since the age of 9 (and I am 28 now). You can stop this early because you are already talking about it AND you are very self-aware. Qualities I wish I had, at your age.

Keep talking to people you trust and can confide with. I wish I had confronted my problem when I was younger; I am only now starting to share my pain.

Keep strong, and remember you are never alone with this.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
(male)

peeculture HB User

I went through that for some time during the same ages. I found out many years ago it is a symptom of depression and needs to be treated. As I understand it, a traumatic experience can bring on symptoms of depression that are often repressed feelings. We cut ourselves to help over-ride the pain we feel inside, as well as subconsciously crying out for help. You need to find a good therapist that can help you work through it with both medicinal and counseling treatments. The good new is....it's treatable like any other disease and you CAN overcome it.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Hey bladepain.

I have to agree with everyone else that has posted so i wont re-write it all =).

You should be very proud of your self, WELL DONE!!!

Personally i think you should bye bye to your back-up aswell.

If you dont mind me asking has no1 ever seen the scares and asked?

Quote:
As I understand it, a traumatic experience can bring on symptoms of depression that are often repressed feelings. We cut ourselves to help over-ride the pain we feel inside
Just incase you were wondering what the symptoms off depression are i have listen them below.

Psychological symptoms of depression include:

Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.
Low self-esteem.
Tearfulness.
Feelings of guilt.
Feeling irritable and intolerant of others.
Lack of motivation and less interest, and difficulty in making decisions.
Lack of enjoyment.
Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming someone else.
Feeling anxious or worried.
Reduced sex drive.

Depression can also have physical symptoms, which include:

Slowed movement or speech.
Change in appetite or weight (usually decreased, but sometimes increased).
Constipation.
Unexplained aches and pains.
Lack of energy or lack of interest in sex.
Changes to the menstrual cycle.
Disturbed sleep patterns (for example, problems getting off to sleep or waking in the early hours of the morning)

You don't need to have every single one but more than 5 and you are classed as depressed. Feel free to post back which off them apply and see if we can help you.

Take care of your self

Dan.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

bladepain HB User

i have never really been asked about scars because until now they have never been very deep so the scars werent very noticable. now the cuts got deeper so the scars are actually pretty noticable now. havent worn short sleeves since then.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Okies,

You should be very proud of your self

Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
(female)

mykinzie10 HB User

hello there. Good job! I am also an ex_cutter Ive ben cutting since my baby son died at 4 week old I also turned to alcohol at that time. To me, having a back-up blade is similar to having a "SPARE" bottle of vodka for "just in case". For me to get to this point, it has to be a no option choice. I am so done with cutting......... Come to this board if you have feelings of cuttingl This is a wonderful place for support! MARLA

Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

You made the right choice giving your blades away to a close friend. It would be a great idea to get rid of the last one too. Your on your way to recovery and this is wonderful.

Closed Thread