It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

huisfnoa HB User
want to stop self harming

I really want to stop self harming because i hate the scars and also my friend found out and i'm terrified others will too. But i always get an overwhelming urge to cut or scratch myself. I started doing it because it gave me some relief from emotional pain, but now i think i do it because i like the physical pain and the blood. Is there anything i can do to get the same type of feeling without harming myself, or anything i can do to distract myself from thinking about it? I sometimes scratch my arms with my nails until they bleed and i cut using razors every day. I'm 1* and can't talk to anyone about it. I just want to stop.

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 09-09-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
Re: want to stop self harming

This is such a delicate subject... I understand about what I call letting the pain out by cutting. The trouble here honey is that the more you do it the sicker it becomes. I know about liking the pain and the blood. When a person begins using drugs and ends up becoming addicted, sooner or later it becomes even more than just the drug. There are stages. You didn't mean to let it get like this but perhaps your emotional pain drives you and now it is so much more. If you begin letting go of some of your pain it needs to be a little at a time and in a safe environment. Because whenever you begin to feel or let go you might want to cut yourself. I would hate for it to get out of hand to the point where you need the ER. Please talk with someone and let go this burden that you don't deserve in the first place. Sincerely, searchin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User

Yes I agree, please find someone you can talk to that you can confide in, an adult that you trust. In the mean time, find ways that mimic the harm but is not harmful to the body, such as snapping a rubber band on your wrist. Something that you can feel pain but does no harm and try not to think about anything that causes damage. You can even try hitting a punching bag or hit baseballs at the batting cages. Something physically stress relieving. You could go out jogging till you are so tired you don't want to hurt yourself. I know there are no easy solutions but hope that helps, and hope you can also find help! Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
(male)

Zoran HB User

As you said the reason for self harming is a relief of an extreme emotional pain. Then you get kinda addicted to the adrenalin/dopamine rush that self harming achieves. The same thing happens to people who get tattoos, only it's obviously healthier then self harming. A good psychiatrist can help you with your emotional pain, and sport activity can take care of the adrenaline/dopamine rush. If running doesn't help you, you can try paragliding, indoor climbing or bungee jumping.

Closed Thread