It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

libragirl98 HB User
i cant stop hurting myself

a few months ago i started self harming, at first i started with pinching myself until i bleed but then i started scratching and hitting my head on a hard wall. i was very depressed when i started self harming. help please?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
(male)

Ambler HB User
Re: i cant stop hurting myself

You've taken the right first-steps by coming here. The hard truth is essentially that you have to want to stop. Self-injury is far more addicting than anyone whose never repetitively engaged in it would understand - the sooner you can stop the better.

I've read numerous accounts of people suggesting less harmful methods of self-harm such as snapping rubber-bands around the wrist. I've also read about other psychological techniques such as telling yourself "I will not cut for 5 minutes" and then seeing how you still feel five minutes later. A third technique I like is the notion of creating a "safe place" in the home where you can retreat to when you feel like self-harming, however, in this "safe place" (presumably away from your parents/peers) you are not allowed to hurt yourself. If you feel alienated or like you are the only self-injurer you can also watch internet videos on self-injury. The video makers will convince you that you are not alone and happily share their tips for dealing with mental anguish.

Certainly consider talking to a school consular (I presume you are young because you imply your self-injury is a relatively recent problem - typical onset is early teens). Or talk to your parents about seeing a psychologist (if your parents are supportive). It/s important to address the underlying causes of self-harm before they snowball into full-fledged personality disorders.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-10-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

libragirl98 HB User

Okay thankss so much

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-10-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Removed quote

Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Hi libragirl98. I suggest to seek help with a counselor, psycologist, and/or psyciachrist soon. My story: I started cutting 30 yars ago. Most recent is Dec '10. I have scars that will never go away on my arms, legs, stomach. In Dec I cut my legs with a blade 5 times and needed stitches but didn't go. It was very deep and very bad. When I cut I do not think about the act but rather go into a blackout and in an instant its over. If I where ever to think about it, I could get help but for me it's no concious thought to do it. I know many, many younger people do this these days. I beg you to get help. You are depressed and maybe angry at something or maybe yourself? When you cut, are you releived after? If you were to see my scars you wouldn't believe someone could do this to themelves. They tell me most self-muliters are sexually abused as a child. Not in my case. That they have eating disorders. I am thin (so is most of my family) and eat when and what I want and there are days I don't eat. Again, get help! Talk to somebody! Cutting is not a suicide attempt. But the depression is what I am worried about for you. You might get a proper diagnoises with medication and that will help. Iv'e been there and it was just in 1999 I was diagnoised bipolar 1 schizoidaffective (paraniod, hear voices). You seem young, don't end up like me. With all these scars and labels of what I become. Keep us posted.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
(female)

libragirl98 HB User

Okay thanks so much ({})

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee088 View Post
Hi libragirl98. I suggest to seek help with a counselor, psycologist, and/or psyciachrist soon. My story: I started cutting 30 yars ago. Most recent is Dec '10. I have scars that will never go away on my arms, legs, stomach. In Dec I cut my legs with a blade 5 times and needed stitches but didn't go. It was very deep and very bad. When I cut I do not think about the act but rather go into a blackout and in an instant its over. If I where ever to think about it, I could get help but for me it's no concious thought to do it. I know many, many younger people do this these days. I beg you to get help. You are depressed and maybe angry at something or maybe yourself? When you cut, are you releived after? If you were to see my scars you wouldn't believe someone could do this to themelves. They tell me most self-muliters are sexually abused as a child. Not in my case. That they have eating disorders. I am thin (so is most of my family) and eat when and what I want and there are days I don't eat. Again, get help! Talk to somebody! Cutting is not a suicide attempt. But the depression is what I am worried about for you. You might get a proper diagnoises with medication and that will help. Iv'e been there and it was just in 1999 I was diagnoised bipolar 1 schizoidaffective (paraniod, hear voices). You seem young, don't end up like me. With all these scars and labels of what I become. Keep us posted.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

Shells611 HB UserShells611 HB User
Smile Re: i cant stop hurting myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by libragirl98 View Post
a few months ago i started self harming, at first i started with pinching myself until i bleed but then i started scratching and hitting my head on a hard wall. i was very depressed when i started self harming. help please?
Hey, Ive been hell, I am there but at least your at the point where you can recieve help, My name is Shelby, Sometimes what I do so I dont hurt myself is take a rubber band put it on your wrist, and every time you get the urge to your your self snap it as hard as you can. For any other advice or help you can catch me on here.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-28-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or name.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi, how ya doing? I'm kat, you'll see me lurking around quite a bit *G*. I started cutting when I was 13, when I couldn't take the abuse that was being heaped on me (sexual/physical/verbal/mental)any longer and had to find a way to get all that out of my head. I'm now 42. I manage to hide this from everyone until 5 yrs. ago, I was good, nobody had a clue, hense no help offered to help me quit. My pdoc (psychiatrist) who I've seen for 10 yrs wanted me to go back to a tdoc (psychologist) because my BiPolar was spiraling out of control and for whatever reason all the sexual abuse I suffered from 10 - 13 came raging up to the front of my brain. I had repressed it, to the point I'd forgot it happened, just fuzzzy materials and an intense fear of being alone with my father, that I couldn't put my finger on. So one day out of the blue all this "past crap" decided to come out of whatever box I'd filed it away in, in my head. So off to the tdoc for therapy I go. My pdoc didn't even know about my cutting. Unfortunately with the memory unlock, came a supercharged need to cut, constantly. So I was at my tdoc's for like the 3 session, and she notices this "strange looking" cut on my wrist....and in less than a second she said, "Kat, do you cut yourself?" I was blown away, I'd hid this from everyone for 29 years and after 2 45 min sessions she guessed my secret. My husband whom I was married to for 22 years thought I was clumbsy in the kitchen, and cut and scratched myself while tending to my roses. Unfotunately the increase in cutting made it easier for people to stand up and take notice. In a time period of 6 months I had to get a total of 48 stitches, spread over 3 trips to urgent care. So we started workign on it in therapy and my pdoc switched up some of my meds to help. I went from cutting to a few times a month, to a few times a day almost overnight. I ended up in-patient twice, once for an overdose, and once voluntary commitment, I knew it was getting closer to the overdose level, so I checked myself in. During the second stay I started using ECT treatments (Electric Shock Therapy) for help with the self harm and the bipolar. It took a while but I got it back under control. Since Dec. 15, 2009 I've only cut 6 times. My point in all this is once you start using cutting or any kind of self harm as a coping technique for your pain/depression/fear, it takes over and gets out of control very fast.

You are young and haven't done much damage, and don't have your mind totally absorbed in the thought that "cutting is the only thing that will make me feel better". Now is when you need to STOP, before you really get started. Go to a counselor, your parents if you can, your BFF, anyone, someone who can help you deal with "stuff" and stop this before it controls you.

Sorry for the book, just wanted to tell you how it got me.

I wish you well, take care.

Kat

Old 05-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
(female)

ghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB User

I 100% agree with Ambler! He has all great points and advice! I hope you are ok. Good luck! This board you should find very helpful for support and advice!

Closed Thread