It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
(male)

Dbtwarrior74 HB User
What if anything has helped you stop?

Hi everyone been doing self harm for a long time woundering what has helped other people stop?
weather it is a medication or anything.
thanks.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: What if anything has helped you stop?

Hi, I"m Kat, welcome to the Boards. I've been self harming for over 30 years. What helped me get it under control was a very caring psychologist a great psychiatrist who specializes in medication management, them helping me understand that a stay in patient would help alot, which it did, ECT, which I discussed at long lengths with my psychiatrist because I was scared of it, but he was right it helped, and caused no harm, a cycle of DBT and continuing med management, and therapy. I know this all sounds like alot, but your basicaly reprogramming your brain to think of a different way to deal with your pain, fear, etc.

Take care, good luck, and keep us posted.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have a number of disorders and take a ton of medication but I found that antipsychotics were the most helpful when it came to stopping my self harm. The meds slow my brain down so I am not jumping from one thing to the next and not caught in the moment. Now my brain will register what I am doing and I can actually think it through

Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
(female)

rackael HB User

medication has helped me.
also drawing red butterflies on my arms
and counselling

But I first had to tell myself that I wanted to get better

Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
(male)

Dbtwarrior74 HB User
Smile Re: What if anything has helped you stop?

Thanks for the replys everyone and hey Kat I too have had ECT and I am in my second round of DBT however I got kicked out of DBT 2 weeks ago for a month because they found out I self injured I can't go back until June 6 it sucks but I can't wait to get back, anyway thanks to Kat and the others who shared advice

Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

DBT, that really bites that your group put you in a time out for slipping up. My group wasn't that strict. If we slipped up we had to right down what caused it, why we thought we did it instead of one of te other techniques we'd been learning and then stand upand read it in front of everyone.

I really hope and pray that some of these techniques help you to conquer this beast. My pdoc has put me back on lithium carbonate, 1. for my BiPolar and 2. he's read recent research that lithium helps to keep the injury instincts/cravings at bay. And it as been easier since I started the Lithium. it's like I'll get upset or angry or fearful of something duringthe day and of course the frst thing that pops into my head is,I have to cut, that will make it better! But then as the daygoes on and I get home it's like the urge has worn itself out, so even though I'm thinking about it I'm not acting on it and I'm pretty certain that's due to the Lithium.

I hope you're doing well and i keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Dbtwarrior74 (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User

Hi everyone,I self harmed for years and found no medication helped me stop so I knew I would have to think of something myself.
Now I know this sounds crazy but it works for me,when the thoughts start I grab a pair of tweezers and pluck the hairs away on my body lol,legs,bikini line,underarm's even. I don't do it so it draws blood or anything.
It actually works and I've no more scars to hide now,there's only so many times you can make excuses up to children,family and friends.
Take care
Jacq

Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I don't mean to sound negative, but isn't what your doing just trading one method in for another?

Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
(female)

Yes but that is the point,its still the release you get but without truly hurting yourself.
Almost like an aversion technique,doing an action that distracts you from self harm.
I'm a firm believer in aversion therapy I've used it for years since I first studied it at university.
But hey everyones different.
Hope your well today
Jacq

Old 05-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

I have no problems with aversion therapy, we learn it from our psychologists, DBT groups, etc. But the point of aversion therapy is to find a way to release without doing an action that still causes pain, otherwise your really still just self harming....and when your doing a technique that still causes pain it's very easy for alot of people's minds to take that short trip to going back to causing more pain. It's kind of like an alcoholic saying it's okay I can have one beer and I'll be fine....

Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
I have no problems with aversion therapy, we learn it from our psychologists, DBT groups, etc. But the point of aversion therapy is to find a way to release without doing an action that still causes pain, otherwise your really still just self harming....and when your doing a technique that still causes pain it's very easy for alot of people's minds to take that short trip to going back to causing more pain. It's kind of like an alcoholic saying it's okay I can have one beer and I'll be fine....
Hi yes I do agree with you but its just what I do personally,it does still cause a little pain/sting but I don't get the scars anymore. I have young children and I don't want to have to say that I've caused an injury to myself,why should they have to see that?
Also yes in regards to aversion it is replacing pain for pain (I did say almost an aversion technique),but not a harmful one that people will notice or judge me for, as I was previous years ago.
I've never been offered to participate in one of these groups and I've never heard of them here in *UK* so at least your getting support,I didn't get that help so I had to think of something myself,I've never drew blood or harmed myself since I started plucking with teweezers and that was over ten years ago.
Its down to personal experience, circumstances, and also just what works for you.
Best wishes
Jacq

Closed Thread