It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

madgirl HB User
Unhappy Help

Ok just to get this cleared out a few years ago i started hurting myself like breaking bones and all. But i got really concerned about it so i went to the doctor and he dianosed me with a problem (i cant remember the name of it) but it involves me hurting myself to get attention.
ok the other day i got a hammer and stated hitting my foot with it and i hit it wit a huge hammer (very heavy and aboout 3 foot in height) and i keep doing it but my foot is a little swollen and has alot of bruising and is a little off colour. but it hurts when i touch it but it dosnt hurt as much when i move my foot or toes but it dosnt hurt when i walk only a tiny tiny bit but i have a little limp.please dont tell me i need help because i know about my condition and it is a very serious condition and i am on anti depressants for it. but my question is what damage would you think i might have done to my foot and it is like i am addicted to doin it and i cant stop until i do damage

The following user gives a hug of support to madgirl:
goodenergy (07-05-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User
Re: Help

It's called Munchausens Syndrome and unfortunately you need more help than we can offer you here. I suggest you see you Doctor for an xray in order to diagnose what you have done to your foot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

madgirl HB User

hi yes that is what i was diagnosed with but i cant go back to the doctor or hospital i just need sum1 who thinks they no wat is wrong ?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User

Only a doctor can tell you what's wrong. No-one here is qualified to give you the information you need.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

I agree with the others -- none of us have x-ray vision, so none of us can possibly tell you what is wrong. If you have Munchausens Syndrome, you may also be yearning for us to tell you all the horrible things it could be as that's part of the syndrome, along with looking for attention and pity.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
(female)

hilda02 HB Userhilda02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlei View Post
I agree with the others -- none of us have x-ray vision, so none of us can possibly tell you what is wrong. If you have Munchausens Syndrome, you may also be yearning for us to tell you all the horrible things it could be as that's part of the syndrome, along with looking for attention and pity.
You need to see a dr and possibly get some councelling unfortunately only a doctor can help you. There is obviously a reason for you hurting yourself but no one on this site is mqualified to help you sorry

Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
(female)

madgirl HB User

i dont have the money for hospitals or doctors and we have no free clinics in my country

Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Madgirl. I disagree with what the others have said about both the injury and the diagnosis. My mom drifted between Munchausen and Munchausen by Proxy(I was the main proxy) and this isn't it. People with Munchausen want medical attention and will get it even without money. It's all about "suffering in silence" for Munchers(not pity or attention) and appearing to be the perfect patient, even if the injury or illness is self-inflicted. And in the proxy form, it's all about being the perfect parent, despite the fact that they injured or made the child sick. A Muncher would never admit they hurt themselves....that is why I disagree.

You were probably told you had Borderline Personality Syndrome.

As another bone breaker, I know what my doc used to tell me was if you can move your toes(or fingers) and the ankle(or wrist) and bear weight fairly comfortably, you have massive bruising but no fractures.

Ice and let it heal.

I once went on a 17 days slugging episode where I hit everything I could for 17 straight days...still didn't break anything but was bruised and swollen right up my elbow. Got out a good deal of anger!

It seems that for some of us, we have so much anger pent up inside that we just can never get it all out and it just keeps coming and coming and coming. I still have my relapses but for the most part, I am now so much better than I was. It's myth that we have to "get it all out"....we don't. In fact, there is no way we ever can. So we have to learn how to keep it at bay and when we do self-injure, we need to tell the truth about it...keeps us accountable. Congrats for telling the truth...that's hard even here. I know "cutters" tend to look down on me as I do all sorts of weird and painful things to myself but I do understand the need to break bones. It signifies pain that goes so deep it goes down to the bone.

I hope someday you too will be able to get the help you need to deal with whatever has you so twisted up in knots inside that you have to hit your foot with a sledge hammer. You are in enough pain. To add more only makes me know how bad things are. Been there.

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I read this post ealier and have thought about it a lot today. I must say I have to agree with Jenny. This just does not sound like classic Munchausen Syndrome.

Munchausen syndrome is a condition in which a person intentionally fakes, simulates, worsens, or self-induces an injury or illness for the main purpose of being treated like a medical patient. The term Munchausen syndrome is often used interchangeably with factitious disorder. Factitious disorder refers to any illness that is intentionally produced for the main purpose of assuming the sick role, although that purpose is unknown to the "sick" person. Munchausen syndrome most appropriately describes persons who have a chronic variant of a factitious disorder with mostly physical signs and symptoms, although there are reports in literature regarding psychological Munchausen syndrome, meaning that the simulated symptoms are psychiatric in nature.

Persons with Munchausen syndrome intentionally cause signs and symptoms of an illness or injury by inflicting medical harm to their body, often to the point of having to be hospitalized. These persons are sometimes eager to undergo invasive medical interventions. They are also known to move from doctor to doctor, hospital to hospital, or town to town to find a new audience once they have exhausted the workup and treatment options available in a given medical setting. Persons with Munchausen syndrome may also make false claims about their accomplishments, credentials, relations to famous persons, etc.

This is just a totally different idea than the one presented by Madgirl. Yes, she is definitely harming herself, but it seems more along the lines of getting out pain/rage/fear/hurt....the qualities that generally mark it as Self-Harm. It's not like she's calling an ambulance or running to the Dr. or hospital for attention when she harms herself.

The best way to handle this situation and get it under control would be to get under the care of a really good psychiatrist. There are treatments, such as DBT therapy, medications, and such that can help control self harm.

Once again I will reiterate that I am not a doctor or any kind of health professional, as are none of the other posters. But it just seems like you've been mis-diagnosed and if I were you, I'd find a new pdoc who could give you an accurate diagnosis.

Take care and stay safe,

kat

Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Kat.....Madgirl never said she had Munchausen...it was the second poster who told her she had Munchausen.

But having lived with one, I knew this wasn't it. In Munchausen, if the person injured her foot with a sledge hammer, she would go to an ER and tell them she had something large and hard fall on her foot accidentally. No one can know it was self-inflicted...that is the antithesis of what a Muncher does.

Thanks for posting the definition.

Hugs...........Jenny

Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hey jenny, if you look at the third post in this thread, the 2nd post by MadGirl she says, "hi yes that is what i was diagnosed with but i cant go back to the doctor or hospital i just need sum1 who thinks they no wat is wrong"

I posted the definition and such because it just doesn't fit with what she seems to be experiencing, but then again I'm not a pdoc.

Hope you're doing well.

Kat

Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Hi, it's just me again checkign in seeing if everything is going okay and how you are. If you feel up to it drop a post and let us know.

kat

Old 07-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

I think it was me who first said it might be Munchausen's, but that was off the top of my head.

We also have no idea what she says to the doctors -- she's telling us she hurts herself, but does she tell the doctors that?

Whatever the cause of her injuring herself, I sincerely hope she gets the help she needs. And contrary to her claim of no free clinics -- I think every country has an emergency room you can sit in and get free care somewhere, maybe not in every town though. I hope so anyway.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Not sure about other countries, but in the U.S. you cannot be turned away for lack of ability to pay or lack of insurance at a County or State hospital. Private Hospitals are a bit different. But most counties in the U.S. have a hospital or some stature....it may not hold up to Mass General....but it can help those who are wounded.

Unfortunately alot of people don't go, simply for fear of legal involvement and too many questions.

kat

Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
(female)

keshep49 HB Userkeshep49 HB User

she could also just have a histrionic personality

Closed Thread