It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Keep your strength & hope

Okay guys and gals, on this board it is very very important to keep yourself in check and make sure you have plenty of strength/hope/community/determination/trust.

These are the four big building blocks that lead to stopping cutting. First lets talk about Strength: It takes great strength in a person in order to take a blade and slash and cut their own skin; and yes I know that you really don't feel the pain most of the time, it's all just part of the ritual to get you through whatever bad thing you're going through at the time. The strength comes in pretty strong when it's time too quit. Unlike drugs or alcohol, which one has to go out and find and purchase and have the money to purchase.........the tools of a cutter are all around in every house in the world. So have to have the strength to walk by the kitchen drawers where the knives are and not grab one, you have to have strength to shave your legs with a razror and not purposely slip.

The next thing a cutter needs is Hope: Hope that one day the maddness will stop. Hope that one day I'll be safe, life in a house, have food to eat, not be in pain 24/7. The Hope that what people tell me are true and I can stop this insanity.

Then we have community, a cutter needs to be out and around other people. Making friends, someone with whom she can share her secrets and troubles, so they don't fester in her mind and make her feeble. Community is great and can be found in so many places like Church, School, Teen Centers, Shelters, Social Services....many many places have a sense of community, of belonging.

And that brings us to Determination, he's a loft old soul that most of us know from some point in our lives. If a cutter is going to quit he/she must have the determination to do so. They have to be able to hand over their kit, put down the knives and find another more positive way to deal with the pain\anguish\torture and hostility that was their life. It can be done, once agin its' difficult but it can be done.

The last step for a cutter to stop is TRUST. People will not automatically trust you, nor will you they. Everyone will be looking out for one another. So yes, after all else that you've prayed over and going through the steps, that light at the end of the tunnel is there and you have to trust in yourself that you'll make it out all the way. And when you do make it you'll have to learn to trust all those who were trying to help you, yet you thought they were after you.

Good luck to one and all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread