It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

40SI HB User
New here; but an SI veteran

Hi everyone. Just googled "SI at 40" the other night bc I'm almost 40 and have been doing SI since I was quite little. Found this Board, and joined. Have been in treatment for pretty much everything else... but have never successfully tackled the SI. Do not have it in check in any way shape or form, and am soooo tired of the limitations that it puts on my life - in addition to the other aspects of having a chronically disabling psychiatric condition...

Has anyone here found an effective treatment program? CBT? DBT? Inpatient? Outpatient? Lasting effectiveness?

LMK. Thanks...

Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bloodytears HB Userbloodytears HB User
Re: New here; but an SI veteran

Hi. Welcome to the boards

I have gone through CBT, DBT, inpatient and outpatient.. I can tell you that they all work differently for each person, however, in my experiences, CBT and DBT together were really beneficial. I learned a lot about myself and my triggers and what works for me and what doesn't work for me with those classes. Inpatient honestly made things worse for me. And Outpatient as in one on one, is helpful in expressing myself and being held accountable by my therapist. Lasting effectiveness of these treatments.. Well, at my worst in my battle with self harm, as long as i was in treatment, i was doing better. CBT and DBT remain in my mind all the time and when i get urges, im able to stop and think about the things i was taught in the classes, so I think those are pretty effective.

Hope this helped somewhat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

40SI HB User

It did. Thanks. I will sign up for the 9000 year waiting list for publically funded DBT then... LOL. Hey, how do you define SI "abstinance" - or do you? Is a harm reduction approach more effective in your opinion - or an all-or-nothing type of zero-tolerance type thing? I tried a sign-a-contract cold-turkey plan a while back - and I failed miserably. But paid the "contract" therapist a lot of money!!!

What's the popular opinion of the SAFE program - Self Abuse Finally Ends? Any thoughts?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bloodytears HB Userbloodytears HB User

Im not sure exacly what you mean by SI abstinance.. Is it just simply not Self injuring? Making a vow to yourself that you won't self harm? I actually haven't heard of that before. In my opinion, as with any addiction, trying to stop cold turkey often times proves to be extremely difficult. For myself, harm reduction is better for me because I am always so hard on myself as it is and for me to set a goal to just not hurt myself anymore, would be setting myself up for failure, because i am human and life does happen. My counselor also reccomended harm reduction for me in the past and has always told me "its not a good thing, but its a better thing to do in comparison." So, yeah, harm reduction has definitely helped me out a lot. Sorry, I don't know much about the SAFE program other than merely hearing of the name.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40SI View Post
It did. Thanks. I will sign up for the 9000 year waiting list for publically funded DBT then... LOL. Hey, how do you define SI "abstinance" - or do you? Is a harm reduction approach more effective in your opinion - or an all-or-nothing type of zero-tolerance type thing? I tried a sign-a-contract cold-turkey plan a while back - and I failed miserably. But paid the "contract" therapist a lot of money!!!

What's the popular opinion of the SAFE program - Self Abuse Finally Ends? Any thoughts?
I am a SI Lifer, so to speak, started at 10 and at 42 still haven't kicked it for good. I'm not familiar with your abstinence theory either, nor the SAFE program. As for signing contracts with pdocs, most that i've used don't even bother as they know its pretty much a waste of ink and paper. I got my SI under control through CBT, DBT, a year of ECT, and now I use Lithium to keep it in check. I'm not perfect, I slip every once in a while, but have pretty much been SI stable since 12.15.09. And by "pretty much stable" I mean I've went from cutting upwards of 20 times a day, every day to a total of 17 times since '09. The Lithium which I've taken on and off for years for BiPolar is not used off label for self harm. It's quite effective at keeping the urges at bay and helping not to act on the urges when you do have them.

kat

Closed Thread