It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Nicollexd HB User
Unhappy How do i get rid of these scars??

So I had a really rough time back in April-June and I did a lot of cutting on my arm. Not even my forearm like the outer part (and like twice on my forearm too yeah) They're starting to fade, but are still pretty obvious due to my pale skin. I'm 15 and I am not ready to face school again with all these kids just staring at my arm. It was such a stupid thing, and it made my life hell. I was so dumb to do it, but now I'm forced to suffer. I want to know if any of you know good creams, or something that will make them fade/ go away. And they were created by scissors/razor blades too. I was looking into Mederma, have any of you tried it and have succesful results ? Anything else you think of that might help them heal and fade??

Old 09-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: How do i get rid of these scars??

Mederma is about all that works, but it won't make them go all the way away, it just fades them some, and it varies from person to person, it is also not cheap.

You might try a vitamin or herbal shop and see if they have any remedies. I've never been able to do anything about my scars, they're just there. If people get nosy, I use the old, car accident, arms broke through the window explanation....which won't work for you going back to school.

The other thing, and this sounds stupid, but I've found the less attention I pay to my scars, and hon, I have many, I've been doing this for 30 years, the less other people pay to them.

I hope that your days are easier and your able to cope without hurting yourself....we think it works in the moment, but all it ever does is make more trouble.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
(female)

Kaytaters HB UserKaytaters HB User

Vitamin E oil!!!!!!!!!!! It works.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

They fade, but take it from someone who is 60 and a former cutter, they never go away and plastic surgeons won't touch them.

A few months of emotional pain and a lifetime of scars.....tough trade off as we all find out.

Jenny

Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I've actually had a plastic surgeon sew up some of my worse scars and they're barely noticeable...but these were big cuts that required between 20 and 30 stitches.

So, depending on where you are and the caliber of health care and hospitals you have, the plastics guys will step in, if need be.

Take care and hang in there,

Kat

Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
(male)

sua HB User
Re: How do i get rid of these scars?? easy to solve

Bio Oil as directed on box, but it takes time as does anything.

Best bandages to prevent scars and help to fade them and hide them at same time are Johnson and Johnson Advanced Healing or any similar brand of what is known as silicon bandages. J&J ones though come in various six=zes and up to 4 inches by 3 inches and can be cut to size. You put them on and they blend in with skin as they are translucent (hardly see em if you are caucasian) then leave em till they fall off.

If the cut has not healed and you are using it as a bandaid which is what they are originally meant to be used for the bandage will not stick to the wound, it bubbles up like a blister over the cut. This is caused by gases given off by the wound in the healing process (according to package insert) and thus prevents scars from forming because this natural gases given off heal the wound faster and naturally.

For scars they do fade with these bandages and the plus is no one sees a scar, but a bandaid, easier to make excuse for that than a scar, oddly enough.

As for doing something stupid as you call it, I want to tell you what my psychoilogist and mental health worker and medical doctor have told me. Saying it is stupoid and beating yourself up over it will only make you feel more ashamed and can cause you to repeat it because it will drag you down. You made a mistake, you learned from it, and now move on. An alcoholic slips up too from time to time, start today and say I won't cut today. When you feel like doing it avert yourself away from the thought. If you need to feel pain, hold ice, same rush but no scars, snap an elastic on your wrist. All kinds of diversions.

Trust me you will get thru this, you are not alone. Hope the advice helps, get the bandaids and bio oil and take good care.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
(female)

NatalieSJC HB User

Do NOT use anything with vitamin e (including tocopherol, which is the synthetic form). It's an old mother's tale and it causes a lot of problems. Check out this study that shows vitamin e causes allergies and dermatitis in 6 out of 10 people: "Baumann LS, Spencer J. The effects of topical vitamin E on the cosmetic appearance of scars. Dermatol Surg 1999;25:311-315" (Google the words between the quotes, you'll be surprised!)

Mederma is great if the scars aren't dark. BTW, the active ingredient that works in Mederma is petroleum jelly, so you can buy that generic and get the same benefits but save lots of money.

If the scars are dark, find something that deals with the hyperpigmentation and the texture of the scars. If they're flat already and only dark, then use a safe skin lightener.

Now, most importantly: I'm sorry you're feeling so terrible that you're cutting yourself. You're going through a tough time, and it's ok to ask for help. If your parents aren't there for you, there are hotlines etc with people who can help. The scars will fade, but you need to make sure you deal with whathever is making you hurt yourself.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Actually the active ingredient in Mederma is Allium Cepa which in onion extract.

You could put petroleum jelly/vaseline on your scars all day every day and it won't do anything to make them go away or appear less noticeable.

kat

Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Talking Re: How do i get rid of these scars??

Hi Nicolle,

I mostly read the boards and don't reply very often, but my heart goes out to you and I just had to login and share some thoughts.

We might tend to think of scars as shameful, but they can be thought of as badges of courage. You are a survivor, even of your own despair and compulsions to harm yourself. The scars are proof of what you endured. There is no shame in having scars. Cutting wasn't stupid of you, though it was desperate. There is a big difference. Obviously you had no inner tools for relieving stress.

Side-note:
Never put anything in an open wound, except possibly rinse with diluted peroxide then rinse off, or a little topical antibiotic may be safe.

I used to put Vitamin E oil on my closed wounds and never had a negative result with it. It seemed the scar tissue smoothed out better & faster. The 'official' study done on E oil involved only 15 people and they had cancers removed, so I don't trust that it is a reliable reason to not use E oil on a closed wound. I don't think a study based on only 15 people with one type of wound should ever have even been published. It seems like scare-mongering to me. Those people could have been reacting to the anesthetic, tape, or any number of things. We have no way to know.

I do know that I have used E oil consistently with great results on new scars, and nothing helped the older scars smooth out but years of time. Some scars never smooth out.

Using an exfoliant or a gentle dermabrasion cream may help smooth dry skin. It may have just been the oil of the E oil that helped soothe my skin, not the actual vitamin E. It's likely the vitamin never entered the skin at all, since I learned that only Jojoba and almond oils have molecules small enough to enter the dermis and truly nourish skin and nails. When I think of my scars as distracting, I either cover the ones I can with clothing or use some spray make-up, or a little face make-up that matches my skin tone and they become unnoticeable even to me. The rest of the time I no longer care who sees them.

I now use almond oil on brittle nails and they do get stronger. But I noticed on my last closed scar, that doing nothing to it resulted in the same looks of a scar that I had when I used Vit. E oil. From that I believe how we heal is personal and we all heal differently.

It took me years to come to terms with my scars and disfigurements. I used to be very self-destructive as a result of childhood abuse that I had re-enacted against myself. Cutting isn't how I harmed myself, but it makes no difference how the scars got there. I now treat my body with respect and the scars show what I have been through. And now I am OK with them.

There is nothing that really alters already healed up scar tissue other than time or surgery, though surgery often makes matters worse. The outcome of our scar tissue mainly depends on our own skin type and pigmentation. I strongly suggest staying out of the sun while a wound heals, to help prevent dark pigmentation around the scars. But if that already happened, still, don't waste your energy fretting over it.

Wear your scars like badges like an honor, showing you are a survivor. Cover them when they seem more like a distraction when you want to and regardless, they are nothing to be shamed of. You go girl!

Last edited by jillian4; 05-28-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
(female)

frisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB User

I tattoo over mine. I have a lot of tattoos lol Tried maderma, it didn't do anything for my scars since they are so deep and huge. Was a waste of my money

Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
(female)

NatalieSJC HB User

Hi frisbeefreak-did you see The Picture of the mastectomy tattoo? It's a beautiful piece of body art in the shape of a bra. A friend of mine forwarded it on FB.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
(female)

frisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieSJC View Post
Hi frisbeefreak-did you see The Picture of the mastectomy tattoo? It's a beautiful piece of body art in the shape of a bra. A friend of mine forwarded it on FB.
No I haven't, but that's a really cool/creative idea!!I found that only tattoos help cover scars that are rather bad. Even if you look close at my arms you can still see the raised skin resulting from the scar. It's quite funny because once my arm was all tattooed up I moved on to a different area to cut because I didn't want to ruin my tattoos lol

Closed Thread