It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

I love music HB User
Really confused

Okay so about November 2011 I started to self harm. About a month later my parents found out. My mum didn't really seem that bothered she just told me to stop so to get them off my back I stopped until the wounds had healed over and they were convinced I wouldn't do it again. So just after Christmas I started again but this time I took staples out the staple gun and dragged them along my wrist/arm instead of scratching away my skin. I have stopped self harming and I only do it when I am really angry/sad. I an confused about wether I have depression or not. I have really bad mood swings like a couple of hours ago I was on cloud nine but now I want to slice open my wrists. I don't know if it's hormones or not? (I am a teenager) I am emetophobic which I hate having and I am also really shy and feel guilty about everything? Please dont give me abuse.

The following user gives a hug of support to I love music:
mindful7 (07-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Really confused

Hello I love music,

I don't think it's teenage hormones that lead to self-injury. I think self-injury is a coping mechanism for handling intense emotions. Talking to a counselor or therapist I think would be a good first step to figuring out if you have depression or not. I also suggest talking to your parents about this so they take it more seriously before your self-injury becomes worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
I love music (07-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

I love music HB User

I'm too shy haha it sounds ridiculous but they will probably think I am attention seeking or something

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

If it makes it easier I suggest writing down your feelings and then showing what you wrote to them. If your parents think you're just trying to seek attention I recommend finding someone who will take you seriously and help you cope with your emotions.

The following user gives a hug of support to flamesabers:
I love music (07-25-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
(female)

mindful7 HB User

I began self harming when I was a teen. I was 15, now I am 26. I would do it when I was really sad or mad. I never understood why I did it. I began by bruising myself, then it turned to cutting. I would (and still do) feel guilty about it after I did/do it. It seemed to turn into an addiction and the only way I could deal with my emotions after a while. You are probably dealing with some depression and anxiety and finding this as a distraction for your feelings. It's not uncommon and it can feel embarrassing. You'll be ok, but you need to see a therapist as a first step I think. They can help dissect your feelings and help your figure out why you're doing it. It always gave me a sense of control in my life to harm, but I know now it really isn't healthy and it's a sign that you might have some underlying issues that are worth talking to a professional about. I always hid it from my parents because I was afraid I would get in trouble so they didn't find out until this past year actually when I was hospitalized for it. I wish you the best and I hope you can take control of the habit for it controls you.

The following user gives a hug of support to mindful7:
I love music (07-25-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
(female)

mindful7 HB User

I was also also painfully shy when I was a teen. I still am slightly. I wish you the best.

Reply Reply