It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

terrybear HB User
Question Helping my friend with his self harm

One of my friends told me about his self harming in October, and I've been trying my best to be supportive and understanding. He recently told another friend about it, and has been telling me that he's been getting better. However, I know he is lying, and is telling the other friend that his life has no meaning anymore and that he doesn't see a point anymore.

This scares me, and the other friend doesn't know what to do. She thinks it's getting to the point where he needs serious help, or he'll do something serious. Should we tell his mom? She's an addiction counsellor, and I know she'll be supportive and try to help in a positive way. Should we give him the option of telling her first? He needs to talk to a professional, and I doubt he'll do it on his own, without encouragement from his mom. Please help.

The following user gives a hug of support to terrybear:
Phoenix (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Helping my friend with his self harm

Hello terrybear and welcome.

Telling his mother,who deals with addictive behavior,seems to be the right way to go.
If this is decided,be prepared for the possibility of your friend feeling that confidences were betrayed.

The mechanisms of self harm are intimate and sensitive,which is why I felt the need to forewarn you.

Something definitely has to be done and there is no better time than the present.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

terrybear HB User

Thanks. I know he may be upset with me for doing this, but I'd rather see him get better and start to be happy again, even if he is mad at me than see him continue down this path. I just haven't dealt with anything like this before and I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

The following user gives a hug of support to terrybear:
Phoenix (12-16-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to terrybear For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

You're welcome terrybear.

A true friend is hard to find and you are definitely that.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 12-16-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
recovery help, self injury