It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Senior Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

reibvar HB User
Multiple health problems

Hello,

I am very frustrated about my mom's state of health. I even don't know what doctor to go to or what to look up on the internet. We have moved a lot during these years and she has been seeing doctors in 3 different countries which has added to our confusion.
She has been unwell for almost 3 years. It started when we were in Canada, with numbness, head spin, nausea. Head spin stopped after a few days but a general state of numbness, weakness to the point of falling remained. This continued for a while and she had her ear, heart, kidney, checked. She also went to a neurologist but nothing seemed wrong.
The numbness and dizziness is always there in the background. Around 8 months ago she started suffering from similar symptoms again. 4 months ago, she was so bad that somedays couldnít sit for more than a few hours and had to lie down all the time, we were in Iran then and a neurologist attributed her symptoms to depression and gave her anti-depressant: Serteraline 50 mg, and Desiperamine. She didn't take Desipermaine because of the side effects and she was fine for 2.5 months but starting 6 weeks ago she has had a different pain everyday: a few days numbness, dizziness, weakness, a few days back pain, a few days severe leg pain, for a while really bad cough. ( This chronic cough also appears from time to time since 2 years ago), neck pain. Then, today the head spin came back while the legs and back are better. Some days she suffers from body odour.

My mom is 67, she is overweight and she has high blood pressure and arthritis. She takes Amlodipine 5 mg, Lisinopril 20mg, Metoral 50 mg.
She is not a smoker and drinks alcohol very rarely.
Please, help! I am very confused. Both of us are tired of going to different doctors.

Thank you very much,
Sara

Last edited by reibvar; 03-31-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Multiple health problems

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

Since you now in Minneapolis, consider seeing a doc at the Mayo Clinic. They are world class and should be able to figure it out.

At first glance, I'd suspect a reaction to her blood pressure drugs. They can cause a lot of the symptoms you list. My experience with these same drugs is that you can be fine one day and then have trouble the next. Since diet can really affect BP, one day with lots of salt and caffeine and the drugs are working fine and you feel great. Then you have a day where you don't eat any salt and no caffeine and you are reeling from the dizziness of your pressure being too low.

Does she have her own BP cuff so she and you can check her pressure when she is feeling really bad? Get one of you don't.

But see if she can be seen at Mayo. Figuring out difficult problems is their specialty and worth a try. In the meantime, start monitoring her pressure and keep a log of it along with her diet. See if you can find a link between her diet and her dizziness.

Good luck. Aging is not fun and when you have so many symptoms it becomes ever harder. Glad she has someone who cares.

hugs...........Jenny

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

reibvar HB User
Re: Multiple health problems

Thank you Jenny
She does have a BP cuff and the readings are sometimes erratic but we have tried the cuff at the hospital and compared readings and they did not seem accurate.
I think that you are right about the BP drugs. I will try to see how her state is correlated with diet.
I think going to MAYO clinic is a great idea. I will look into that.
Thank you very much for your support and advice.
I feel better already
Take care,
Sara

Closed Thread