It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Senior Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

sjde HB User
Anyone else low in iron?

I'm 59 and was having terrible itching for 5 weeks--no rash, it jumped around--so asked my dr to do a blood test. My iron is low so she told me to take iron pills for 3 months and be retested. I'm not anemic.
My level has gone down so much so quickly. It's 30 now and 10 months ago was 142. I haven't eaten ALOT of meat for years but became 85-90% vegetarian 6 months ago. Still, would this cause such a drop? I do eat non-meat sources of iron. I know people who are longtime strict vegetarians who aren't low in iron, some young women and some my age.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
Re: Anyone else low in iron?

Besides dietary reasons, there are other causes that may lead to low iron levels. Such as parasites or decreased stomach acidity, peptic ulcers or even some medications, among some of the causes. Thought I'd throw this information out to you for whatever it could be worth

Last edited by stasis4; 05-23-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

Dortopia HB User
Re: Anyone else low in iron?

I decreased my meat intake, too, and later became very low in iron, as well as B12. It's been determined I cannot get sufficient B12 any other way than home injections, so I do those once a week, combined with Folic Acid for my CFS.

Has your doctor recommended iron IVs? Mine sent me to the hematologist for those, but I was too scared of the possible adverse reactions, so I seem to be slowly raising it on 3 or 4 iron pills per day. I have to take very low doses because it makes my teeth dark if I take too much at once.

Closed Thread