It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Senior Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User
Is this dementia/depression or Alz

Hi community, Please advise me for my mother.
Brief history: age 83, lost her walking and became bedridden as her knee could not be replaced due to weak muscles as per Surgeon, this was in 2010. Gradually her general health started going down. Appetite down, water intake down, urinary tract infection thrice, respiratory infection twice since then. She wanted some one at her bedside all the time and would complain " I am not feeling good". She would often ask to make her sit and make her sleep after some time. Now I come to turning point which occur on 16 th of august 2012. She was having problem passing out urine and was restless side by side. She asked to make her sit several times and tried to pass urine but in vain. Then she started shouting please make me sit. When we made her sit she continued shouting "please make me sit" I reminded her you are now sitting but she ignored me and continued shouting please make me sit and please do some thing to me. That day we took her to ER and she was continuously shouting please please make me sit regardless of whether she was sitting or sleeping. When I remind her that she is already sitting, then she would say make me sleep. They admitted for two days. Fixed catheter to pass out urine found minor infection in urinary tract, chest x ray clear. Pyschitarist prescribed seroquil, clonazepam, Zoloft in smallest doses as she has heart history. Released from hospital same problem continued. 15 days later went again to psychiatrist and he increased dose of Zoloft and seroquil. Nothing good came. Than took second opinion he changed medication to Zoloft 50 mg and xanax x3x.5 mg. During all this process there came no peace to my mothers mind. Gradualy she stopped eating stopped speaking she just nods her head to express yes or no may be weak to talk, but her restlessness continues. She can not talk but keep making notices as if small child crying. She just takes ensure 400 ml per day at the most, weight gone down extremly . Can any explain what is this or share their experience. Thanks

Last edited by bbroke; 09-29-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Is this dementia/depression or Alz

First, I am so sorry for your mother's and your suffering. I am no expert, but have lost father, mother, brother and am old myself.

Your mother is failing in physical and mental ways. She is crying because she is suffering, is my guess. I would try and help soothe her with your presence, your loving attention, holding her hands, and making her as comfortable as possible with the help of a doctor if possible.

Not sure this helps, but it is what I would do.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
bbroke (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User
Re: Is this dementia/depression or Alz

Dear tinam7, thanks for your input. I fully agree with you and I, my wife, my sister and my sons turn by turn remain with her so that she does not feel lonely, we also massage and rub her skin to lessen itch, change her position to avoid bed sores. I am also reading dementia and alz board and it appears that she is suffering from dementia. Sorry to hear that you have lost parents and brother. Take care

Reply Reply