It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Dysfunction Treatment Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Ginseng to increase sex drive

I was wondering if Ginseng works to increase their sex drive. I've tried several things so far: Damiana, Dong Quai, Gingko Biloba, Hot Plants for Her, etc., all to no avail. My libido has been severely diminished from taking Prozac for eight years, which I have been off of for almost six months now. I'm taking 5-HTP for my depression and it's working fine, so it's not from being depressed. If anything, I'm bummed about not having a libido. I just need to know there's hope for me.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-02-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Ginseng for sex drive

I've taken ginsen in my teas and energy drinks as well as pills. Had no effect on me what so ever. I have a low sex drive. I was not taken it to increas my drive only for energy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, Squeaky, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. That's weird that it didn't work, though, because I've read that the Korean ginseng is supposed to help if the low sex drive is due to hormone problems. Did you take that one? Anyway, I've been taking it since Saturday. It's called Ginseng Powermax 4X by Action Labs. It has four different types of ginseng in it: Chinese, Korean, Eleuthero (Siberian), and American. I started with one pill a day and I didn't even notice any increase in energy (it's supposed to help with fatigue also), so I upped it to two starting today. We'll see what happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I might just have to wait this thing out. I've heard that it can take six months to a year to get your sex drive back after stopping antidepressants. The sad part is that my husband thinks he's suffering from ED now. I told him I think he's just so used to not getting it, that it doesn't work anymore, even when he tries to to masturbate. I told him he should try the ginseng, but he's very 'anti-pill' after seeing what I've gone through on various meds. He also had a bad experience with something he took a few years back and has vowed to never take anything again.

Last edited by kittywitty; 07-03-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

Miss Perfection HB User

HI Kitty,

So sorry for not having found this forum sooner!

I have been researching this subject for years. I have 'suffered' (yes that really is the correct term) from Female Sexual Dysfunction for the last 10 years now. It suddenly hit me when I was 30.

Many, many, herbs, roots, supplements and what have you not have passed into my medicine cabinet. And guess what, if you really suffer from F S D, I don't think they will surmount to anything (expect pain in the wallet, that is!). Even Bremelanotide I found to be a spoof...!

The only medicines I've found to be effective were the heavy duty stuff. Like what, you want to know? Well, to name a few: Remeron (AD, beware of the side effects: -> horrendous weight gain!) & testosterone (injections or gel, again, beware of the weight gain!).

So far, no others, but I keep searching!

Remember: everything that does something for the fellas, often does zilch for females. Especially in the herbal department. Obviously, the mechanisms at work vary greatly for men & women....

Last edited by Miss Perfection; 07-03-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
(male)

SufferingEd HB User

When you take herbs they do not work like medicine from the pharmacy. They have to build up in your system over time. Some take a month and others can take two to three months. Also you really have to research the herb you are taking. Like Maca Root for example. You can buy all kinds of diffierent pill forms from 100 to 500mg, and the bottle will tell you to take two or three a day. Not enough! For Maca to work you would need to take any where from 2000 to 5000mg a day. Thats six to eight pills. A lot of these herbs where discovered in Asia, China, ect, by people who actually ate the root or put the roots in foods. They did not boil it down, dilute it, and add it to other stuff. Do a lot of research.

Last edited by SufferingEd; 07-12-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

JessyAZD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Perfection View Post
HI Kitty,

So sorry for not having found this forum sooner!

I have been researching this subject for years. I have 'suffered' (yes that really is the correct term) from Female Sexual Dysfunction for the last 10 years now. It suddenly hit me when I was 30.

Many, many, herbs, roots, supplements and what have you not have passed into my medicine cabinet. And guess what, if you really suffer from F S D, I don't think they will surmount to anything (expect pain in the wallet, that is!). Even Bremelanotide I found to be a spoof...!

The only medicines I've found to be effective were the heavy duty stuff. Like what, you want to know? Well, to name a few: Remeron (AD, beware of the side effects: -> horrendous weight gain!) & testosterone (injections or gel, again, beware of the weight gain!).

So far, no others, but I keep searching!

Remember: everything that does something for the fellas, often does zilch for females. Especially in the herbal department. Obviously, the mechanisms at work vary greatly for men & women....
Miss,
Are you saying remeron boosted your sex drive? I was just wondering b/c my fiance' is taking it and it has killed his! It's definately put a damper on our relationship! It works well for him(he takes it to sleep) so I don't want to make him come off it.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-27-2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Question deleted. Please start a new thread for your question and let the OP have her question answered here. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think what she's saying is that it didn't have an affect on her sex drive, but made her gain weight? People respond differently to different meds. However, I have not talked to one person yet who took an SSRI (Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc.) and not had their sex life impaired in some way.

Last edited by kittywitty; 07-28-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
(male)

Leo46 HB User

I took ginseng for quite some time about 20 years ago, to try to increase my sex drive. It had absolutely no effect. Perhaps I didn't take it in big enough doses, as Ed suggests, but I did follow the recommended amount, and nothing, nada, zip, zilch. My advice: Save your money.
Leo

Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I've recently stopped taking it because it was making my eye twitch real bad and my heart beat hard and fast. It was pretty scary. I even tried cutting back to one pill a day instead of two to see if it would help, and I still felt awful. It kinda sucks, though, because I think it might have been starting to help my libido. Anyway, I've been told that it takes six months to a year for one's sex drive to return after stopping an SSRI antidepressant. I just passed the six month mark, so I think I'll just wait it out and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks so much for all the replies so far.

Last edited by kittywitty; 08-03-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
(male)

ttttttt HB User

You said that you take 5-HTP, 5-HTP has a warning that it could have a negative effect on labido. Excuse the spelling.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Interesting. I never heard of that, I'll do some research on it. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I done some research and I must say I was shocked to learn that it can be a side effect. However, I also read something else saying that it lowers the sex drive only in people with too high of one. Well, that's definitely not the case with me. My sex drive started slowly declining over the eight years that I was on Prozac to the point of having no interest at all. I've taken Wellbutrin and it helped the problem, but created a new one: hair loss . I recently started taking saw palmetto extract again. It helped me before, but it got too expensive as I had to take four to six pills a day when I was on the Prozac. Hopefully, it won't take that many this time.

Last edited by kittywitty; 08-17-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Closed Thread