It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Dysfunction Treatment Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
(male)

DRAS HB User
Post Penile Implant advice?

had surgery yesterday; on my way to recovery !
last night was very rough; less pain right now but
difficult to move about much; alot of scrotal swelling
and bruising; partially inflated; instructed to pull downward
on pump inside scrotum several times a day; so swollen, not
sure I can do this until swelling subsides.;
Not scheduled to see Dr. again for 4 weeks;
not given much other specific instructions.
seems like a long time. Any advice during this time ?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
(male)

Specialdee HB User
Re: Post Penile Implant advice?

Based on my experience, my doc did not empasize pulling the pump down until about four weeks into recovery. Four weeks does seem like a long while before going back to see him. As much as they charge for this surgery, don't hesitate to knock on his door whenever you need to do so. I think I reported more often than that over the first four weeks. Right now, I'd leave well enough alone, and let time begin to take care of the pain before inflicting anymore pain on myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
(male)

doj HB User

I'm surprised that your doctor would leave you partially inflated for that length of time. It is essential that the reservoir be full most of the time during the early weeks, as it is developing a sheath around it and if it's not full, the sheath will prevent it from containing all the fluid when you are deflating. At least that is what I read prior and after my implant. My doctor left me partially inflated for the first week, and it was quite uncomfortable, and he deflated it at the one week mark.

As for tugging at the device several times a day, I agree that the swelling and soreness right now would make that most uncomfortable. Did he offer a reason as to why he wanted you to do that?

I kept an ice-bag handy during the first couple of weeks, and that helped a lot, so you might want to consider that. Be sure and take whatever prescription you received for pain...I used it mostly at night, and Ibuprofen during the day, and that seemed to help with the swelling and inflammation.

You'll be uncomfortable for a few days, but it will subside! Just know that in six weeks, you'll really enjoy the outcome.
doj

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
(male)

DRAS HB User

the reason the doc gave to pull down on the pump several times a day was that it would help prevent it from retracting upward as healing occurred.
I think it is only a slight bit inflated, but the swelling makes it seem more.
I appreciate the advice. When were you able to resume "normal" activity ? I will try to post my progress and hope I will be
satisfied with the results.
Thanks again.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
(male)

Specialdee HB User

My doc gave me the same reason for tugging on the pump, but...as I mentioned, it wasn't until four weeks after doing the implant that he started having me do that. As doj said, ice, ice and more ice is an important part of getting the swelling down. You mentioned a lot of bruising. Yessir, I had that, too. A LOT of bruising, but it healed pretty quickly. I was able to go back to active sex after five weeks although it's usually about six weeks before the doc will recommend having sex. You'll feel better day by day, and joyous in about five and a half more weeks! More questions? Just ask.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
(male)

DRAS HB User

How much swelling should I expect to have now at day #5 ?
my scrotum is grapefruit-size, and the shaft of the penis is about
3 inches in girth; both almost solid-blue in color; I initially thought
I was improving and was able to ambulate more easily, but now
I wonder if I should still try to avoid gravity and try to lay down
most of the day as the swelling seems to aggravating my discomfort.
I appeciate any comparitive comment as to how you were doing at day
#5.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
(male)

Specialdee HB User

If the swelling doesn't begin to ease in a couple of days, I'd arrange to go back to the doctor. I believe I went back after a week, which was prearranged, not for a problem. The only thing I can suggest otherwise is to stay off your feet as much as possible - stay in bed as much as possible, and use constant ice on the area. However....don't hesitate to go back to see the guy who performed the implant. He owes you some help when you need it!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
(male)

Specialdee HB User

I just realized that I didn't answer your questions. My scrotum never did get as large as a grapefruit. However, the penis was a similar size, and the blue stayed blue for over a week. Good luck! It'll get better soon.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
(male)

DRAS HB User

thanks, Specialdee.
How much pain did you have after 6 days ?
I am able to walk, but I look like John Wayne.
Standing up from sitting or lying is still very painful;
also, getting in and out of the car (passenger) is tough.
I thought most guys were able to be back at work and
normal type activity after about a week ( ? ).
Am I recovering at "normal" rate(slowly), or should I be
in pretty good shape by the end of first week (tomorrow) ?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
(male)

Specialdee HB User

After the first week, my pain was quite a bit less. I had my surgery on a Thursday and didn't go back to work until the following Sunday week. All I had to do that day was oversee a few folks who did the work. I went back the following day, but took off a little early. I was also driving to and from work, so there was no problem getting in and out of my car. Are you running a fever? If so, you may have an infection. Don't take any chances. As I previously posted, I'd go back to my doctor whether he want to see me, or not. Maybe doj will show up with his opinion. He's been a great deal of help to me, but I don't think I ever had the problems you're going through. And I don't mean for this to sound hopeless!! It's not. But relief from swelling and pain is important, and you deserve it.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
(male)

doj HB User

DRAS,
I was miserable the first week, but that was because I was semi-inflated. The urologist left me partially inflated, and with the soreness, and swelling, I was quite uncomfortable. The scrotal pain was minimal by then, just the penis. I had an appoinment on the 9th day, and the urologist released the inflation and it was much better. Is it possible that you are also partially inflated? I just remember how miserable I was that first 9 days, but after that, it got better quickly. Most of the guys I've corresponded with on other sites have had significantly less pain after about 5 days. I think you'll find that to be the case. If you are still quite swollen, I would go back to the urologist and let them check for any infection, as Specialdee suggested. That would be the safest. Also, I took about 4 Ibuprofen s couple of times a day, and that really helped with the inflamation. The doctor was extremely pleased on that first visit with the condition of my penis and scrotum..virtually no brusing was left at that point. Let us know what you find out.
doj

Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
(male)

DRAS HB User

what a difference a day makes !
feeling much better today, I think because the swelling has
finally decreased alot. I think the Ibuprofen and ice helped alot--
( thanks for advice ). I am still sore and bruised, but believe I will be
okay. No signs of infection. Now I just have the 3-4 week wait to see if this thing will work. I will let you know. Thanks again for helping me get through
this. It hasn't been easy, but you give me hope that it will be worth it.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
(male)

Specialdee HB User

Glad to hear you're improving. Sometimes it helps just to hear from folks who have been there and done that. While my experience wasn't as painful, I'm just glad to know you're better. Yes, it'll be worth it. Even if you're a little disappointed with it, you'll still be happy with the results. Keep that ice on the area, and the ibu's handy!!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
(male)

doj HB User

Dras..
Great to hear that you're better today!! I really think the Ibuprofen was the thing that helped most in my case. And yes, it WILL work!! And boy, will you be happy!! You may not be as large as you were previously, but you'll enjoy it.
doj

Old 03-25-2008, 05:46 AM   #15
(male)

Specialdee HB User

Hello, DRAS!
Now that it's been a couple of weeks since your implant, how are you doing?
Is the pain continuing to diminish? The blue area beginning to look a little more normal? Just want you to know we're still thinking about you and hoping that all is really improving for you. When you get a chance, give us an update. Thanks!!!
SPECIALDEE

Closed Thread