It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Dysfunction Treatment Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
(male)

waswell HB User
Re: Penile injections, husband nervous. Your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbb View Post
Did your hub's Doc mention what he was going to use for injections? Caverject? Trimix? Bimix? People who are sensitive (pain) to Alprostadil(PGE-1) might need to go Tri or Bi to get less or none of it.

Also the doc's office (and any pharmacy you get the prescription from) is likely to give you free 29 gauge syringes. That is on the large size these days and thus would give a little more pain. Look around for some 30 or 31 gauge diabetic syringes. You can get a hundred for 15 or 20 bucks. I use a 30 and those are really nice. Not sure what goes with an auto-injector if that is what you end up with..

Success rate can easily be 100% (or more!) with injections (it is for me). But it is a very individualized thing and can take a few tries to get to that reliable rate.

Might also think about him using a pump of some sort (on off days or even to stretch things a bit on the day of injects). I use the pump every day -- just rehabbing not for sex) and do the injects about every other day. So far so good with that.

Hope yous have some fun soon...

R
How much was the cost of the shots? Will ins. or medicare pay for them? Thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
(female)

teachersue HB User
Re: Penile injections, husband nervous. Your experience?

Hi,

Wish I still had access to what it cost us to buy the medication, but I don't. I'm thinking that it was around $100 for the vial, but there are MANY doses in that little vial. (The exact number depends on the dosage your doctor gives you.) My husband's dose was originally 7 (ml? mcg? I forget....), and it's now 5. We use it about once every two weeks or so, and we're still on the same vial we've had since August. Our usage isn't too frequent, so if you'd be using it more frequently, obviously you'd go through it more quickly. But still --- it's not too bad $$-wise.

Neither Medicare nor health insurance covers this cost, even though my husband's need for it was a result of his surgery for cancer. That apparently isn't relevant to the insurance.

Good luck - hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to teachersue For This Useful Post:
waswell (01-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
(male)

rbbb HB Userrbbb HB Userrbbb HB User
Re: Penile injections, husband nervous.

Waswell,

Similar to what TSue mentioned, mine was $90 for a 5ml vial of Trimix.
The less you need the more shots per bottle -- and the vial lasts a few months in the fridge -- or even a year if you freeze it. So at such a low price, who cares if Insurance covers it. Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

J

Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
(male)

Doug19482000 HB User

It appears everyone on this thread had good results with this type therapy.
I went to an ED clinic a year after cancer. I told them MUSE gave me an erection but caused severe pain that I suspected was priasim. They told me not to worry as that is a commom problem with MUSE. They told me that was not a problem with their injection therapy.
They inject me causing first a small bump on the side of my penis,then a nearly full erection. They were pleased. So was I. They then said they would have me call back in when my erection fully subsided so they could figure out what mixture at what rate I needed.
I was then chaged $1500.00 for 50 doses that they would send me in a few days. After about 45 minutes as they were sending me home with 50 syringes,a cold storage pack. and an emergency priasim envelope, I expressed concern that my ererction was not subsiding and starting to hurrt.
I was told not worry it would soon subside. I left.
An hour into my drive home the pain was getting much worse and the erection was as large as ever. An hour latter I could no longer drive. I called back to the clinic they told me it was too soon to panic but to go ahead and take the 600 mg. advil.out of the emergency pack, on top of the 200mg I'd already taken. I also told them half of my penis had turn black and blue. I informed them in no uncertain terms I wanted no more of this therapy and that I wanted my money refunded except for the consultation fee.
Soon I was able to drive again. The erection was going no where though. I called back again. They told me to start taking the emergency priasim pills. Again I told them not to order any more of this therapy. Emergency pills all gone. Still a raging erection. Driving, drowsy,5 hours after injection. an hour from nearest known hospital and home,I called their emegency number. My anger was keeping me awake. They said since it had subsided a small amount I would be allright. I made it home. I passed out on the couch. I awoke 10 hours later. I realized then they must have had me take a powerful sedative. While they knew I was driving. The erection was gone. I have no idea if the experience did more damage to my condition.
I called as soon as their ofice opened and demanded a refund. I was told the medication was already odered, That I was SOL.
I guess I'm writing this as a warning that even Doctors are willing to take advantage of the desperate. I am indeed desperate. I wish I never had taken the first PSA test.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
(female)

teachersue HB User

Oh my gosh, Douglas, that's absolutely awful. SOOO wrong, dangerous -- just awful. I'm so sorry.

I'm pretty ignorant, and am wondering --- can you tell me what "MUSE" is?

I truly hope that the whole experience didn't do any lasting damage. Hang in there.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
(male)

Doug19482000 HB User

Muse is administered in the first inch of the urinary track. I found it on the internet. My uroligist then wrote me a perscription for it. It contains alprostadil. Easy to use.

Closed Thread