It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2003, 01:36 PM   #1

TheAteam HB User
Is this too young?

I'm 22, and met a girl at the bar a few weeks back. I got her number, and we went out a few times. Well, after our 3rd date I found out she's an 18 yo Senior in High School. She was just visiting a friend at the bar. I just assumed she was 21, so it took me awhile just to ask. Now technically it's all legal, and I really like her. But I was wondering if that just sounds wrong on my part.

P.S. I'll be 23 in December.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User
Re: Is this too young?

If she was 18 and in college, I would say go for it. Being still in high school, I think she is too young, despite her being of legal age. There is a world of difference in maturity between 18 in high school and almost 23.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 04:43 PM   #3

gillian30 HB User

I think this is fine. She is 18, and young women are far more mature than young men at that age. If you really like her, and she likes you, the only other concern would be if it's ok with her parents, whom I assume she still lives with. If her maturity level is up to yours, it should be fine.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:21 PM   #4

rachael10 HB User

my friend is 16 and is dating a 25 year old.

i don't think age is a problem unless the gap is very extreme (eg. 23 dating a 12 year old ) as long as you are happy in the relationship, then all should be fine, regardless of age.

after all, age is just a number

Old 11-29-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

True, age is just a number (as long as the law doesn't come into it). What matters more is that the two people be equal on other more important levels, like maturity, experience, goals, etc. While I don't personally think the difference between 18 and 22 is that great, it has obviously given you something to think about, so maybe I can suggest you base you opinion of whether you think the two of you are more equal. You never said where you were in your life - college, already working - or how old your peers or their girlfriends are... it makes a difference. If it's just a matter of her still being in high school, but everything else fits, then maybe it's worth sticking it out.
And a comment for rachael10, there is no way a 25-year-old man is the social/intellectual equal of a 16-year-old girl. And if he thinks he is, there is seriously something wrong with him...

Old 11-29-2003, 07:08 PM   #6

grubb26 HB User

I met my hubby when I was 15 and he was 20...We didn't date, but remained best friends until I was 19 and we decided to get together. We now have 2 sons together (7 and 51/2 years old), and have been together for 8 years...We've been best friends for 12 years. I am now 27, he is 32....I agree that you should really decide if she is right for you...4 years isn't that much of a gap, if you two get along great, have good communication etc...My hubby saw me grow up ALOT!!!! I lived with my folks, he was in the military 1800 miles away from his family, had been to germany, and lived as a bachelor...Unlikely couple, but, it worked for us...good luck, you'll decide for yourself as you get to know her better....

Old 12-03-2003, 04:03 PM   #7

surfmancam HB User

I am 21 and i meet these girl who is 18 and a freshman in college. I am thinking about getting more serious with but i have notcie that there is a huge difference in our maturity levels. It makes things hard at times but i try 2 stay positive and see were it will lead me.

Closed Thread