It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2003, 04:33 PM   #1
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
Condom Question!!

I have a somewhat strange question...is it possible for a condom to leak a little without totally breaking? I always thought a condom failure would be obvious, but I suppose if one a had a small hole in it it might leak a little without the parties knowing. The reason I'm asking is I think about 2 weeks ago we may have had a failure and I am having some pregnancy symptoms, but I'm not sure. Please help if you know...

Old 12-06-2003, 05:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User
Re: Condom Question!!

Well everytime a condom has broken with us (Maybe once or twice total) it's been very obvious.

But....I suppose a small hole could always be a possibility.

I'd not stress for a while see if your late then take an hpt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
Veteran

Greenberry HB User

The problem is...I had a baby 8 months ago and I am still nursing him, so I have not had a period since before I got pregnant in July 2002! I think I might have been ovulating around the time that we might have had the condom failure, which is another reason I am worried! I am going to TRY to wait until Monday and then take a test. Thanks for replying!!

Old 12-07-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrNice HB User

A condom could develop a tiny hole but, as the previous poster said, it is more likely to tear apart. What can happen is that if your partner doesn't withdraw his penis from your vagina after he ejaculates and before he loses his erection, the condom can slip off (either partially or totally) resulting in his semen spilling into your vagina.

If you are concerned, in the future, about whether a condom leaked as a result of a pin hole simply fill it with a little water after he takes it off and you will immediately know if it had a hole. Again, this is highly unlikely. Condoms are inspected for weaknesses before they are packaged.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:10 AM   #5

Tigrazhia HB User

To be extra sure, get the condoms with spermicide on them. Even if a little sperm should leak out, chances are the spermicide will most likely take care of & kill any sperm. Hubby & I have had a couple of incidents where the condom has slipped off & spilled a drop, but I have a can of nonoxyl 9 for those situations + we always make sure to get the spermicide condoms & it has worked so far

Old 12-11-2003, 04:09 AM   #6
Veteran

Greenberry HB User

Last night I took a pregnancy test and got a very faint positive, so YES, it is possible for a condom to "fail" without the parties really being sure about it!!!!

Old 12-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrNice HB User

I'm not sure what a "very faint positive" means. I suggest you visit a Planned Parenthood clinic or see your gyno to determine whether you are in fact pregnant. If you are, and decide to continue the pregnancy then you need to get proper pre-natal care. If you decide not continue the pregnancy then the earlier you decide the better.

Old 12-11-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Very faint means the line wasnt that dark. Which could mean several things,one that she took the test with urine that didnt have a high concentration of HCG. The best way to beat that is to take a hpt with first morning urine. Or it could mean she is pregnant but she isnt that far along so her body hasnt had time to produce alot of HCG.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 12-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #9

lovemyblaine HB User

ANY line at all is positive!

Old 12-12-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

I've always heard you can get false negatives but there is no such thing as a false positive (Unless you were recently pregnant and there was still some hormones in your system)

Good Luck GreenBerry

Old 12-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #11

A-Lil'Mama*2 HB User

Hello-
Here is my advice: I know from personal experience that condoms can have a little pinhole in them. It is rare, but possible! Since you are nursing,(which is so great, you go girl!), and have not had a period since becoming pregnant, than you may want to wait atleast 4 weeks from the night of the suspected "uh-Oh", and then take a pregnancy test. Dont worry yourself, it cant be good for anyone. Oh, i have a 9 month old baby. A boy.

Well, good luck!
Marissa

Old 12-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #12
Veteran

Greenberry HB User

Well, I have taken several more tests hoping for REAL confirmation, and I have had one more VERY faint positive and some negatives. I have been down this road before, being a mom of two already, but I REALLY REALLY want to see a big dark positive line on the test before I get too excited. It just doesn't seem real to me yet. This whole experience has really made me rethink "SAFE SEX" though!! Guess condoms aren't so "safe" after all, huh??

Old 12-14-2003, 09:20 AM   #13
Inactive

focus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenberry
This whole experience has really made me rethink "SAFE SEX" though!! Guess condoms aren't so "safe" after all, huh??
True. Condoms only have about a 90% success rate. That means of course they fail 10% of the time. Usually, that 10% failure rate is caused by improper use, such as using petroleum based lubes on a latex condom, using expired condoms, using 2 condoms, using the same condom more than once, wrong size condom, etc. But even when used perfectly, they're still only about 98% effective. That means if you have sex with a condom 100 times, it will fail twice. And as you know, all it takes is one time with the right condions, and suddenly you're a parent. Or a giver or receiver of an STD.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
Veteran

Greenberry HB User

I'm glad that someone else agrees with me. Even before our condom failure, I always heard people (the media, et al...) saying condoms are safe sex, just use one and you'll be just fine. Especially teenagers seem to be bombarded with this touchy-feely message. If a condom failed for me and my husband, who are 32 and 37 respectively, been married for 10 years and have correctly used hundreds of condoms during that time--never used them more than once, never used petroleum lubes on them, etc. etc., then how much more at risk must children be, fumbling around in the back of a car and not knowing what they are doing. HMMMM...

Closed Thread