It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 02:53 PM   #1

Kenshinxxx HB User
first time i shaved and i have a bit of a problem

Well i decided that i would try shaving my pubes to see what it was like. About two or three days after i start getting these red bumps. About the fifth day they sort of look like pimples but im not sure if they are. Could it just be razor burn? any information would help.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #2

Satbast HB User
Re: first time i shaved and i have a bit of a problem

Ouch.. Sounds like ingrown hairs to me. Do an internet search on treatments for 'em.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 06:14 PM   #3

sansman10 HB User

I think it is ingrowns too, but if you get something like Tend Skin, it gets rid of them post haste! The stuff is formulated for just that reason. Also, as you shave more, your skin gets used to it, and the frequency of getting the razor burn and ingrowns goes down dramatically.

Satbast, glad the wax worked so well for you. I didn't get the same results with it, so I stick to my razor and gel.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:15 PM   #4

Kenshinxxx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satbast
Ouch.. Sounds like ingrown hairs to me. Do an internet search on treatments for 'em.

thanks for the reply, when i shaved it feels like the razor is ripping the hairs out so could that mean anything?

Old 12-16-2003, 06:23 PM   #5

sansman10 HB User

Did you use a fresh razor? I'm assuming you were in the bath/shower for a few minutes prior to shaving; it has been said that if you spend too much time the hairs get to plump with moisture and that may have something to do with it. I scrub my body, wash my hair, shave my face, underarms, chest, abs, pubes, and if needed legs in that order. That way the pubes aren't soaking too long before meeting the business end of the Mach 3 or Quattro ( close my eyes and do the old eenie meenie miney moe routinr to choose!). Just make sure the blade is fresh or relatively fresh, I suggest changing it after 2-3 uses. Use a good moisturizing gel, pat your skin dry, and put on a good moisturizing lotion afterwards. It should work well for you.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #6

Kenshinxxx HB User

k thx i will try that after these bumps go down a little, anyone know how long it takes for them to go down?

Old 12-17-2003, 08:10 AM   #7

sansman10 HB User

There's no real time frame on it, it depends on each individual. I've known some where it took overnight, others took a few days. Just be sure to wash really good and apply the Tend Skin as directed.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
(female)

LizzyLiz HB User

Make sure you use soap or a shaving cream when doing it in that area, that always helped mine. The other are right, you will get used to it after several shaves, but in the meantime you could use a cream called Bikini Zone to get rid of and itching or redness. If the hair is really long you may want to trin it short before going in with the razor as well ^_^ that could be why it feels like its "pulling your hairs out".
Keep an eye out for ingrown hairs, they will look like a sore pimple that does not go away. This is gross, but the only way I cam get rid of mine is to carefully pop/open them and pull the hair out. Its icky, but it tend to happen every so often when you shave there.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:22 AM   #9

duncanmac HB User

Definitely ingrowns. Did you go against the hair growth? That will get a closer shave, but increase the chance of ingrown hairs. Next time try going with the hair growth, or horizontally, which will get you a closer shave, but not as close as against the hair. You'll have less ingrowns.

Speaking from experience in shaving my face, if it feels like the hairs are being ripped out, I know I didn't give the hair enough time to soften from the hot water. Either that or the razor is old. Even though I'm a guy, I keep it tidy down there. Horizontally gets close enough for me, and I don't get ingrowns. Against the hairs and it becomes a mess!

I've also read that using a loofah (SP?) and some kind of antibacterial cream helps if used immediately after shaving.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:47 AM   #10

sansman10 HB User

Facial hair is a killer for razors! It kind of upsets me that refills cost so much when the refill cartridge has been around so long. I guess we have to apy for all the high-priced advertising they do! ANyway, keep a fresh razor loaded, you will get the best results that way. Going against the growth is something many need to work into by getting their skin used to being shaved. The more you shave though, the more accustomed to it skin gets and bumps and ingrowns decrease in frequency and severity. It just takes time.

Closed Thread