It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #1

TurboBry77 HB User
Wife has been on the pill..should i still....

Hey all, I have been married a couple years now, my wife and I are 27, she has been on the pill for about 9 years now, I believe Orthotricyclene. My question is, being that she is on the pill should I still wear a condom?

We plan to have kids just not yet, maybe another year or so. Im just concerned on how effective the pill really is. I know she is great about taking it the same time everyday and all that jazz. I have also heard that other medications can interfere with its effectiveness. Therefore I am just a bit skeptical.

Any input?

Old 12-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #2

dollluvsjohn HB User
Re: Wife has been on the pill..should i still....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBry77
Hey all, I have been married a couple years now, my wife and I are 27, she has been on the pill for about 9 years now, I believe Orthotricyclene. My question is, being that she is on the pill should I still wear a condom?

We plan to have kids just not yet, maybe another year or so. Im just concerned on how effective the pill really is. I know she is great about taking it the same time everyday and all that jazz. I have also heard that other medications can interfere with its effectiveness. Therefore I am just a bit skeptical.

Any input?
Well I am a good example that the pill is not a guarantee!! My mom was on the pill when she got pregnant with me!! If you really want to avoid pregnancy at all I would use both! neither is 100% guarantee so there is still a chance. The pill is effective for the most part but there are instances when it doesnt work!!
So if you are absolutely trying to avoid it then use both!!

just a suggestion!!

emtdollluvsjohn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran

strand3d HB User

It's perfectly okay for you to stop using condoms now that you've been in a long term relationship and know that STDs aren't an issue. The pill when taken properly is very very effective, so as long as she remembers to take the pill, there's no reason for you to continue to use condoms. I used the pill as my only form of birth control when i was in a relationship and i had no issues with it at all.

Antibiotics can effect the pill, but not all of them do, so if your wife needs to take antibiotics for an infection or something, make sure she asks the doctor about how they will effect her pills. Otherwise, enjoy.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:44 PM   #4

TurboBry77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strand3d
It's perfectly okay for you to stop using condoms now that you've been in a long term relationship and know that STDs aren't an issue. The pill when taken properly is very very effective, so as long as she remembers to take the pill, there's no reason for you to continue to use condoms. I used the pill as my only form of birth control when i was in a relationship and i had no issues with it at all.

Antibiotics can effect the pill, but not all of them do, so if your wife needs to take antibiotics for an infection or something, make sure she asks the doctor about how they will effect her pills. Otherwise, enjoy.
Thanks for the info, very helpful, so that being said should i still pull out you think or is that what the pill is for, so i dont have to pull out?

Old 12-21-2003, 10:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

That's a concern really for you and her to decide together.

Are you willing to take that risk?

Old 12-22-2003, 06:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lance2 HB UserLance2 HB UserLance2 HB User

I'd suggest that continuing to use a condom would be the best way to prevent a pregnancy that you're not ready for just yet. If you can "pull out" then you're a better man than me! And that really isn't an effective way to prevent such things. Good luck bud!~

Old 12-27-2003, 10:49 AM   #7

duncanmac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBry77
Thanks for the info, very helpful, so that being said should i still pull out you think or is that what the pill is for, so i dont have to pull out?
Yes, that's what the pill is for. Enjoy yourself!!!! However, if you are really concerned, you can use a spermacide, too. Then you still have 2 lines of defense. Spermacide does change the feel of sex, so there is a downside. It can also be an irritant and can also cause yeast infections. By irritant, I mean I've used them, peed later and YOWWWWWWWWWW! Burns like nothing I've ever felt- knees buckle and everything. Ya know what, though? Yeah, people can get pregnant on the pill, but there are plenty of people who have tons of sex on the pill and never have a problem. Don't make it so complex, have fun being spontaneous and enjoying all the pleasure the condom took away!

Closed Thread