It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #1

candy20012 HB User
is the morning after pill the same as any other birth pill

hi is the morning after pill the same as any other birth pill

Old 01-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
It is and it isn't. It is the same in that it contains the 2 ingredients found in most regular birth control pills (estrogen and progestin, although Plan B only contains progestin) and works by the same two methods to prevent pregnancy (by stopping ovulation and making the uterus inhospitable).

The big difference is that regular birth control pills are taken daily for 21 days in order to administer a low, even dose of those hormones to your body, while the Morning After Pill is actually 2 doses of high amounts of those hormones taken 12 hours apart and as soon after the incident as possible in order to prevent pregnancy (therefore the Morning After Pill is also called Emergency Contraception, or ECP).

ECP should be taken only in emergency situations and should not be used as your regular method of birth control. Get the regular bcp for that.

If you are asking because you want to take the regular pills as ECP, then there are specific doses that have to be taken depending on what brand of BCP you have. Planned Parenthood has a list of the equivalent doses if you're interested.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 05:49 AM   #3

candy20012 HB User
Re: is the morning after pill the same as any other birth pill

im asking coz i stopped taking my pill for about a month then the other night i had a one night stand so the next morning i took the pill which i have a months supply of does this mean i could still get pregnant even if im taking the pill again the very next day after ?

Old 01-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
The next day after unprotected sex you took ONE regular BC pill? I'm almost positive that's not going to do anything towards preventing that possible pregnancy. Depending on how long ago that was, you can still take your pills as ECP. Go check out the Planned Parenthood site for the dosage required depending on the brand you have. You didn't say where you were in your cycle, or if you continued to take the pills each day after, but I'm pretty sure your best bet is to find out the dose from the PP site and take them as directed ASAP.

Old 01-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #5

candy20012 HB User

no i,ll take the whole pack where am i in my cycle i have,nt a clue when my cyle is coz i stopped taking the pill about 3 months ago and im all topsy turvey the pill i take is marvelon i could,nt be pregnant after taking a whole months supply right ??????? pp site whats that ??????

Old 01-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

There is no telling if you will be pregnant or not,it all depends on if the egg was already fertilized and ready to implant. If it is the case of the egg already implanting then taking that many bc pills wont do anything. You really shouldnt have taken that much bc at once. You should call your doctor and explain what is going on and what you have done.
Second we cant post websites but the PP site is the Planned Parenthood site,do a search and you will find it,like it has already been suggested.

Even though you took all that bc there is still a chance of you being pregnatn whether you like it or not. Your best bet is to call your doctor like I said and just wait things out to see what happens.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 01-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #7

candy20012 HB User

lol noooo i did,nt take all of them at once i meant like i,ve just had one a day and will finish my course of birth pill which is 21 days
so if it is too late me take this pill will not do nothing
no harm to the egg either?

Closed Thread