It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #1

Iroczss HB User
Recommendations on Spermacide/Contraceptive jelly?

We had a condom break the other night, just scared us a bit, but I did pull out so very doubtful anything happened...however...it got us both worrying a little...I'm already using spermacidal condoms, but is there any recommendations for other forms of spermacide or contreceptive jelly?

Old 02-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrNice HB User
Re: Recommendations on Spermacide/Contraceptive jelly?

Using a contraceptive in addition to the condom is an excellent idea.

There are a variety of gels, creams and foams all available without a prescription at your local pharmacy. Some of these come in tubes or aerosol containers. To use them you place an applicator over their top and fill the applicator with the spermicidal product. The applicator is then placed deep in the vagina and a plunger depressed to deposit the spermicide deep in the vagina. You will need an additional application for each act of intercourse. There are also some that come with disposable applicators pre-filled with the cream or gel. This way your g/f can have the product available whenever it is needed without carrying a tube of cream/gel and the applicator.

Make sure when you purchase a gel or cream that it is for use without a diaphragm. There are gels and creams made specifically for use with the diaphragm. Unless you are using those with a diaphragm choose one that doesn't need to be used with one.

There is also a product called a contraceptive sponge. It is a soft sponge which is impregnated with a contraceptive foam. It is inserted up to 24 hours before intercourse is to take place. The product was not sold for several years but I understand it is back on the marketplace.

There are a variety of spermicidal creams/gels made by Ortho. As for a foam, I believe there is one called Delfin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread