It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2004, 12:54 PM   #1

Georgy HB User
Question Birth control

Hey guys got a question. My girlfriend started the pill a little over 2 weeks ago between her periods. We had unprotected sex last night and she said she was spotting a little and than her period started today which seems odd to me becasue i would have thought the pill would have pushed it back becasue she has not started the other colored pills in her pack yet. So i guess im asking why she started already, and if we should worry about pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
When you say she started her pills between periods, does this mean she started them at some random point instead of when she was supposed to?

If you give us the start date of her last period, the day she started the pills, and the day she started her current period, maybe we can figure out what's up. As it is, saying she started 'between her periods' doesn't give us much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #3

Georgy HB User
Re: Birth control

Right, she started the pills on the 12th. She normally gets her period around the 25th. And she seems to have started her period today (the 28th). She called the doc before she started the pills and he said it would be ok to start them when she did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
When you say she started her pills between periods, does this mean she started them at some random point instead of when she was supposed to?

If you give us the start date of her last period, the day she started the pills, and the day she started her current period, maybe we can figure out what's up. As it is, saying she started 'between her periods' doesn't give us much.

Last edited by Georgy; 02-28-2004 at 02:49 PM.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Does her doc know she's using them as birth control? I'm sorry, but if he does, tells her she can start whenever she wants, and then doesn't warn her about the possible effects it will have on her cycle, not to mention she probably wasn't protected against pregnancy this round, then he sounds like he's a little ... um... 'careless' shall we say...

The instructions in the package tell the user to start at a specific time for a reason. They're supposed to work WITH your natural cycle, not against it. Starting in the middle like she did, she probably wasn't protected against pregnancy, because she'd probably already ovulated (based on the dates you provided), however, I'm figuring if your first instance of unprotected sex was last night, then you're probably okay, because she's having her period and her ovulation was probably over 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, if I were her, I would skip to the placebo pills and then start the next pack in line with when she should have started the last pack (on the fifth day of her period, or whenever the pack recommends it).
Anyway, this is just my opinion, but I'm not impressed w/her doc...

Old 03-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

lovethemusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgy
Hey guys got a question. My girlfriend started the pill a little over 2 weeks ago between her periods. We had unprotected sex last night and she said she was spotting a little and than her period started today which seems odd to me becasue i would have thought the pill would have pushed it back becasue she has not started the other colored pills in her pack yet. So i guess im asking why she started already, and if we should worry about pregnancy.

This is very important..
birth control pills are not effective until the woman has completed one months worth after starting. So during the first month you are on the pill it is CRUCIAL that you use another form of contraception (like a condom). Starting the pill randomly will cause bleeding or spotting to happen and this is normal. after a month or two of taking the pill things will seem to be more normal. but because she started the pill at a random date , the day of her normal period will change. hope this helps.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemusic
This is very important..
birth control pills are not effective until the woman has completed one months worth after starting.
This is not necessariy true. There are many brands that are effective immediately and they ONLY warn you to use another method of contraception for the first week so that you will remember/get used to taking it at the same time every day. Not because they aren't effective.

Read the instructions that come with your particular brand to know for sure.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:54 PM   #7

Brknxthoughts HB User
Birth control please help-

I just started birthcontrol pills a week and a half ago. Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex and we did oral before and he ejaculated then waited like 20 mins and then had un protected sex for our first time, but he isnt sure if he ejaculated or not. Am i pregnant?

Old 03-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #8

Flood84 HB User
Re: Birth control please help-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brknxthoughts
then waited like 20 mins and then had un protected sex for our first time, but he isnt sure if he ejaculated or not. Am i pregnant?
How can he not know if he ejaculated? Was he drunk?

I thought you must wait roughly a month after initiating the pill cycle to have unprotected sex.

Last edited by Flood84; 03-26-2004 at 12:31 PM.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
Veteran

JLKH HB User

Most birth control pills will make your pretty safe from becoming pregnant after a week of taking them. But check the info that comes with them to be sure. And this is also only true if you are taking them as their instructions and your doctor's instructions say too.

As for the bleeding? Break through bleeding is what it's called when a woman has bleeding anytime other then durring her period while on the bc. This is not uncommon for women who are just starting the pills or have missed a pill, or are sick, or any number of other reasons. The main thing is that she needs to continue taking the pills as directed to for I'd say at least 2 more months. This should get her cycle back on track.

However, it also would not hurt for her to call her OBGYN and tell her what happened just in case. A 5 minute phone call might help put both of your minds at ease.

Closed Thread