It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2004, 10:08 PM   #1

abcdabcd HB User
how quickly can you get infected and pass an STD?

is it immediately? or does it take time for the virus to develop?
example: if you sleep with somebody in the beginning of the week and catch an STD/HIV, and you sleep with somebody else in the end of the week, can you spread that quickly?

Old 04-04-2004, 04:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lance2 HB UserLance2 HB UserLance2 HB User
Re: how quickly can you get infected and pass an STD?

It all depends on which one you might acquire. Problem is that for most of the we rarely even know that we've got one until the symptoms appear...and then its already too late. For most of them it probably takes several weeks for the symptoms to appear. And if its HIV it can be dormant for months or even years before there is an indication of something wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #3

abcdabcd HB User

yes, I understand about symptoms not appearing and HIV being dormant for many months, but what I would like to know is how quickly can you spread.
If somebody sleeps with you right now and you catch something and you dont know what it is, dont even know you caught anything can you spread whatever it is to somebody in the next few days?, if you get a std test that week will it show up?

Old 04-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

As soon as right away, if you want to get technical.

I mean, I'm sure you aren't going to be like "Well I have syphilis so I'm good for a week and I have herpes which means I'm only good for 24 hours" or some other arbitrary thing you gleaned from That Font Of Absolutely Right Information Known As The Internet.

If this is a veiled question about "how safe should I be" that's for you to decide. How safe do you want to be? Do you want to take that chance?

Old 04-04-2004, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

It all depends. If you slept with one who had chlamydia and it invaded your body, it takes it some time to establish itself such that it can infect others. This might be anywhere from a few days (2-4 minimum) to years.

Non-monogomous people should always use protection so they don't have to worry as much about things like this.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I can only go by what I've been told by the health dept.
After exposure, it can take three weeks to show up positive for clamydia, during that time you can transfer it to a different partner. Six months for HIV. They gave me the opinion that once you have contracted something, you could give it to someone else right away, but it can take time to show up positive. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Last edited by desertdweller; 04-06-2004 at 07:31 AM.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #7

abcdabcd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller
I can only go by what I've been told by the health dept.
After exposure, it can take three weeks to show up positive for clamydia, during that time you can transfer it to a different partner. Six months for HIV. They gave me the opinion that once you have contracted something, you could give it to someone else right away, but it can take time to show up positive. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.
are you talking about for every std or only those that you listed?
so what is that person that posted on the first page talking about, he said you can catch it right away.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I am saying the same thing as the first poster. It can take varying time periods to show up positive for different STD's. But, that doesn't mean that you cannot give the STD to someone else until you show up positive.
For example, if you had unprotected sex with someone that has clamydia, and a week later you are tested for it. The test comes up negative. Do you think you cannot give anyone else clamydia? Maybe, maybe not. You didn't wait the 3 week period it takes to show up positive.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:55 AM   #9

ShyAwkwardFella HB User

It's probably impossible to tell, I would think taking the risk at all is a bad idea.
Tests generally test for the presence of antibodies which is your bodies way of fighting back, which says your body is aware of the invader and is trying to get rid of it.

I think antibodies can several days to being production after detection by your immune system (there's a whole process I learned years and years ago but its faded somewhat).

If you're having a threesome I'd probably say it's more urgent, don't double dip. Or depdning on how long the particular pathogen can remain exposed to air for some time afterwards.

Closed Thread