It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004, 11:57 AM   #1

mr nipples HB User
condom breakage and precum... pregnancy likely?

6/16 my girlfriend and i had sex. we were using a trojan condom and about 10-20 min into the act, it broke. i had not yet ejaculated but there was for sure precum. it broke at the top but more at the side than the tip. are the chances of her being pregnant likely? we have no way to get the ECP because they are not accesible to minors and would prefer to keep this on the dl. any thoughts?

Old 06-17-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: condom breakage and precum... pregnancy likely?

Ok I dont know who you talked to that told you ECp wasnt available to minors but they lied to you. ECP is available to those who need age doesnt factor into that since a lot of girls who take it are under the age of 18.
Call a local planned parenthood and talk to them. Your gf can get it as long as she has a way to and from the place to get it.
No one can hoenstly tell you the odds since it can vary greatly from person to person. There is a risk and it would be safer to get the ECP. If not then you two are just going to have to sit back,relax and wait to see if her period comes.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran

LouiseLaws HB User

There is always a chance of pregnancy, just as there is a chance of STD's - go to the doctor, familly planning or GUM clinic, the morning after pill is available to EVERYONE, so too is birth control, if you are old enough to have sex then you are certainly old enough to use protection. I would really advise STD tests, go to a familly planning clinic and insure you know how to sue condoms correctly, as condoms rarely split if used correctly, and learn about how to care for yourself and your partners, show some responsibility.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

There is huge disgreement on these boards regardling how much, if any, sperm is contained in precum. The general consensus in the medical world, as I understand, is that precum does not typically contain sperm unless, possibly, you have recently had an ejaculation and did not urinate. Now, some people swear they got pregnant from precum and who am I to tell them they are wrong? Medical science has been wrong before, and there are exceptions to just about everything.

If you play the odds, there is only a 3% chance of pregnancy even if you don't use protection and you ejaculate inside her. Thing is, you have sex a few times and the odds very quickly turn against you, and just as people win the lottery which as very low odds of being won, thousands of girls each year get pregnant the night they lose their virginity. Note that the odds of pregnancy are much higher than 3% if you ejaculate around the time she ovulates, and much lower just before she has per period.

If she is due to have her period at about the end of the month, then it would be a wise precaution to seek out ECP right away. If her period was a week or two ago, then you are, statistically, pretty safe. Regardless, I would hate to advise you not to bother with ECP as there is always that small chance. Your feeling that you just lay low and no one will know won't work very well if she IS pregnant, and if your parents might be upset at you asking for ECP now, how do you think how they will react if she does happen to get pregnant?

Sex is not for kids who can't deal with the consequences of their actions. You obviously have felt you were adult enough to have sex, so it it time to face up to this accident. Analyze the situation, determine where she is on her menstrual cycle, and make the proper choice based upon the facts - don't let your fear of your parents lead you to become a parent yourself, ok? Ask for help if you can't cope by yourselves.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic
If you play the odds, there is only a 3% chance of pregnancy even if you don't use protection and you ejaculate inside her.
I have no idea where you got that figure. I've always heard it like this - there is an 85% chance of pregnancy over one year when no method of contraception is used. The way you put it is very misleading if you compare if to the condom's general claim of a 3% failure rate. Makes it sound like they're the same... it has to be in context or a figure like that is meaningless.

As for ECP not being available to minors, not true. Go to a clinic.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

This is a 3% chance each time you do it, not over a year. Any average couple who comes together for a random sexual encounter that is unprotected will have about a 3% chance of that single encounter resulting in pregnancy. Given that an egg is only viable for about a day, there is essentially one day a month in which a female can get pregnant. A 1 in 30 chance is about 3% and, no, I did not make this percentage up - I am only trying to justify it.

If you have unprotected sex every other day for a month - your odds of getting pregnant are 50%. Also, as I said, if you just happened to have sex when the egg was ripe for fertilization, then forget the 3% - the odds under those circumstances will be much higher.

This 3% figure is different than a condom failure rate, and if I was not clear, thanks for pointing it out.

Old 06-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Magnetic,you really should read the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Ton i Weschler. The precentage is alot higher than that....it actually ranges between 15 to 25% when it comes to unprotected sex. No throw in a couple actually not wanting to be pregnant and for some reason the odds of an unplanned pregnancy seem to go through the roof.
You also forget that sperm cna live several days inside a woman so you have to figure in that...the random act could occur a few days before the egg is released and the chances of pregnancy are higher than 3%.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 06-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

I still do not understand how a woman can NOT know she is ovulating. It is obvious. (Come on, girls) Does no one pay attension to what is coming out of their bodies every day? Take a moment to look at the toilet paper you just wiped yourself with. When you are ovulating, there is a egg-white-consistency discharge--and usually an overwhelming urge to have sex as well. This occurrance can have nothing to do with being "regular" with your period. It can both defy and exist independently of the cycle "numbers" that you cling to as gospel...so if your girlfriend is not regular, all the more reason to not always rely on "counting", but to look at what she has going on each day...and to get on the pill. Your girlfriend needs to start paying attension to her body.

Old 06-19-2004, 07:36 PM   #9

Malificent HB User

There is usually more than not usually, sperm in precum. Possibly millions per drop.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegirl
I still do not understand how a woman can NOT know she is ovulating. It is obvious. (Come on, girls) Does no one pay attension to what is coming out of their bodies every day? Take a moment to look at the toilet paper you just wiped yourself with. When you are ovulating, there is a egg-white-consistency discharge--and usually an overwhelming urge to have sex as well.
I know this is an old thread but I just had to comment.

Believe it or not, not every woman experiences such obvious symptoms, so there's no need to imply we're idiots if we don't know when it's happening. I never experience mid-cycle cramps, and my discharge hardly changes at all. And I always have the urge It's only if I'm tracking the dates religiously and paying close attention to the slight changes that I can possibly say, well, this might be it...

Old 06-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
Inactive

blaster HB User

Anytime you have sex and fluids any fluid is spilled or leaks out theres a chance of pregnancy, however time is the factor, all depends how fertile she was when this happened, I suggest you and her to learn to watch her calander. Be responsible !

Old 06-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE=Blastoff9600]Magnetic,you really should read the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Ton i Weschler. The precentage is alot higher than that....it actually ranges between 15 to 25% when it comes to unprotected sex.
QUOTE]

I think we are using different statistics. The 15-25% chance is when couples have sex "at least every couple of days". Having sex 5 times, with 3% odds each time, raises the odds towards the figure you quote.

Closed Thread