It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 06:02 PM   #1

crazykatlady HB User
Nonoxynol-9 reaction

Hi-
I have a big/embarraseing question. I was w/the same man for 13yrs and we didn't use condoms . I was tested for every STD before we were married, during, and after!! I received a clean bill of health.

I met a guy(red-heads are my weakness) and we became sexual. He had only had sex using condoms, which I don't like. I was on the pill, but worried about STD's, so we used spermacide. We only got to see each other every other week, and everything was fine. Then he was able to stay over and we never stopped, which was great until then he called and said is penis was infected. I RAN to the doc. and again tested for EVERYTHING! Again clean bill. I found out spermacide can cause a reaction in guys w/ fair skin, and told him. We didn't see eachother for a couple of years after that .

About a year after that I thought I'd try tha whole sex thing again. This time a blonde(old friend-visiting) . The same thing! BC, Spermacide, Reaction, Doctor, Clean Bill of Health. My friend's Doc. said it was a non-specfic infection(AKA Don't know,here's some penicillin) The only thing I could think of was the spermacide, so I visited my old friend and didn't use the Spemacide. No reaction everything good! In fact ran into my red-head friend, didn't use Spermicide and everything was good.

Has this happened to anyone else??? Is there anything that can be used besides spermicide or condoms to prevent STD. Or prevent the reaction? Right now I'm using abstinence.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

reni HB User
Re: Nonoxynol-9 reaction

So you do not like to use condoms (why?) and you have been using only spermacide to prevent contracting an STD? I hate to break it to you, but spermicides do not protect against STDs. In fact, some research has suggested that the toxicity of Nonoxynol-9 in spermicides can cause genital irritations/lesions that can actually INCREASE your chances of contracting an STD, including HIV.

Only condoms can help prevent STDs.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:31 PM   #3

crazykatlady HB User

I never had to use condoms, I was with my husband for 13 yrs. When I tried them it felt VERY different! Plus, the first guy couldn't "finish" w/one on.That's why I tried the spermicide, it "helps" in the prevention of some STD's. I also asked my friend to get tested b/f we had sex.
It wasn't until after did I find out about reactions that men w/fair skin have had. Which is worsen by prolonged exposer and friction.

I guess what your tring to say in the nicest way is "get use to them."

Thanks, anyway!

Old 07-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Nonoxynol-9 - bad stuff

I have never read from any reliable source that spermicide helps prevent the transmission of any STDs. I have only heard that at this point the research shows that the use of N-9 actually increases the transmissions of STDs due to the increased incidence of lesions (it was originally hoped to help prevent HIV transmission but has shown to do the opposite).
N-9 is well know to cause vaginal and anal lesions and both the FDA and WHO are promoting the discontinuation of condoms w/N-9 and the FDA is recommending revised warnings on spermicide (if they haven't already been implemented).

Anyway, if it is so corrosive on the delicate vaginal and anal tissues with simple condom use, it stands to reason that it could also have an effect on the penis if the person were sensitive, given how much spermicide is used when that's all that's used.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:57 PM   #5

crazykatlady HB User

In no way am I promoting this use of this stuff! As for helping prevent STD's, this is the info. printed on the box:

Laboratory studies have shown that nonoxynol 9 kills or stops the growth of the AIDS virus (HIV) and herpes simplex I and II viruses. It was also shown to be effective against other types of organisms that cause gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, trichomoniasis, and other sexually transmitted diseases (venereal disease, VD, STDs). Benzalkonium chloride also killed the AIDS virus in laboratory studies. Although this has not been proven in human studies, some scientists believe that if spermicides are put into the vagina or on the inside and outside of a latex (rubber) condom, they may kill these germs before they are able to come in contact with the vagina or rectum (lower bowel). x.

Thanks for your reply, abstinence is sounding better and better.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Here's a quote from the World Health Organization web site:

"Although Nonoxynol-9 has been shown to increase the risk of HIV infection when used frequently by women at high risk of infection, it remains a contraceptive option for women at low risk."

Yes, spermicide still kills sperm (thus is still a conraceptive option) but is obviously counter indicated when it comes to HIV.

How old is your box? As I mentioned, the FDA has recommended revised warnings on spermicide packaging. I guess it hasn't been implemented yet.

This is another quote from a gov web site (epa.gov) regarding the proposed labelling changes:
"These warning statements will advise consumers that vaginal contraceptives containing
nonoxynol 9 do not protect against infection from HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, or against getting other sexually transmitted diseases. The warnings will also advise consumers that frequent use of vaginal contraceptives containing nonoxynol 9 can increase vaginal irritation. Increased vaginal irritation from use of nonoxynol 9 may increase the possibility of transmission of the AIDS virus (HIV) and STDs from infected partners. The agency is requesting public comment on the proposed labeling statements and how such information could best be presented in labeling. This proposal is part of FDA's ongoing review of OTC drug products."

Anyway, sorry to go on about it, but it's shocking at how long it takes the gov't to move on thing like this, and the manufacturers are really reluctant to change their products. Seriously, it's been years since they knew it didn't help and they STILL sell condoms with N-9...

Closed Thread