It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Inactive

nutmeg31 HB User
Unhappy Can physical symptoms be this strong?

I have a generalized social phobia but have not gone for any kind of help yet, and I was wondering just how far-reaching symptoms can be. Whenever I have sex my penis seems to loose the majority of its sensation and I cannot reach orgasm, and sometimes cannot maintain an erection. This is extremely frustrating and discouraging, and puts partners under the misconception that they are not stimulating enough. It is not that - I am aroused in my mind but my body refuses to cooperate. I have been to a urologist and there is no physical problem, so I suspect that it may be related to my SA. Is this possible? Has anyone else ever had this kind of response?

Old 08-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #2
Inactive

Binky74 HB User
Re: Can physical symptoms be this strong?

Anxiety can definitely affect your sexual performance. It's a classic symptom. It tends to create a snowball effect: you're anxious about performing, so your performance suffers, and thus you become even more anxious, etc.

If you're on medication for your anxiety, that can also make reaching orgasm pretty difficult. SSRIs are notorious for this. Some men like the effect because it makes them last longer, but others don't care for it.

The only advice I can offer is to explain to your partner (maybe before sex) that you're the nervous type, etc. Also, I think going without sex for longer periods makes things work more smoothly when you do have it. (Given the current state of my sex life, that's not a problem for me. )

Anyway, I hope this helps somewhat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 03:18 PM   #3

tomcat1658 HB User
Re: Can physical symptoms be this strong?

Anxiety is the monster that hides in your closet when your a little boy/girl ..waiting for the right moment to strike. When it does, there is no limit to what power it has. Some are strong enough to beat it, others need help, and others will be fighting it for a long time "including myself."

I have so many different symptoms, I could probably pick one from each disease known to man and i'll have it. I had never though of sexual performance until I read your post. However, I to have had something simular. You being diagonesed as a social phob would most likely have trouble I would think in one of the areas where social phobia really kicks us below the belt "as it where." Sex in itself is a very social act. From your post you said "partners" assuming that you don't have a steady mate that will allow you to remain in a comfort zone thus easing your performance anxiety. Anxiety is very draining. Coupled with natural anxiety of intercourse most likely makes it worse. In my experience anxiety will always attack your mind in the way that bugs you most. You say your not seeking treatment at the moment...i suggest you do, it may help. 2. if you are taking a medicine such as zoloft paxil and so forth. It does create those very problems in men, but gets better in a few months. "for me it did anyway"
Now, I am not on a medicine at the moment and still have some trouble, It could be my age of 32 that im not the young stud that I was at 18 or so...but I do have trouble keeping "it" unless "it" is constantly being aroused. Sensation has also be dulled. My theory, anxiety likes to cause us disress, makes sense to me that it would hinder pleasure as a part of its evil plot as well?
Heh, for some of us a "sex life" is all but a distant memory due to our conditions...im a little jealous! lol

But, seek some help to take care of the diagnosis...it is difficult to clear it up on your own...then perhaps your symptoms will improve.

best of luck..and yes, talk to your partners first. When I was on climax, I told them before hand that I would likely not climax, so they new what to expect and did not feel it was something they did wrong.

Closed Thread