It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User
Question strong semen odor

After I have sex with my husband there is a strong odor to his semen.
Is this common?

Old 07-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User
Re: strong semen odor

Are you sure it's his semen? One of the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis (bv), is a fishy odor, particularly after sex, from the reaction of semen and bacteria. In fact, one of the ways of diagnosing bv is via the "whiff test"; they put some KOH (which, like semen, is alkaline) on a slide with your fluids, and if it smells fishy, bv's pretty much a sure thing.

But if it is his semen, i.e. you smell it when you give him oral/manual stimulation, it could be he's not hydrated enough, or due to his diet. Strong smelling semen isn't a sign of anything in particular :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

No it is not my stuff that has a odor it is his, not all the time tho.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I'm a little confused by your question. Where is this semen that you can smell it after? And how soon after? And what does his semen smell like when he's masturbated?

Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it usually smells like bleach to me

Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

Like I said it's not all of the time. But several times now it has a unpleasent odor like kinda of fishy. And I do not smell of fish only after sex with him.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

Ah. Then it does sound like BV. The smell is from the bacteria in your vagina reacting with the semen - that's why you don't smell fishy all the time. See your doctor.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

I am sorry what did you say BV was? Could you be more specific? I am a very meticulous person when it comes to cleanliness! Could it be certain things my Husband eats?

Old 07-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

It's bacterial vaginosis, and has NOTHING to do with your cleanliness at all. It is exceedingly common; almost all women get it. These are bacteria that live in your vagina, and sometimes just get out of balance. It's normal, and has nothing to do with hygiene, nor what your husband eats or does. But you need to see your doctor for medication :-)

Old 07-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

Does your body just grow it like yeast infections? How do you know so much about it have you had it? Are you a nurse or Doctor? What are the symptoms? Only when semen enters my Vagina does it trigger this odor. Other than that I don't smell bad at all.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sparkleflower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharmon37
Only when semen enters my Vagina does it trigger this odor. Other than that I don't smell bad at all.
It's not his semen that smells; the smell is from the semen interacting with the bacteria. One of the ways they diagnose BV is by putting a drop of an alkaline solution (semen is alkaline) on a slide with your fluids, and if it smells fishy, then it's bv.

I'm not a doctor, but I've had it, done a ton of research, and visit a couple of other sex/gyn boards where this is a *frequent* topic.

There's normally a delicate balance between good and bad bacteria in the vagina, but sometimes that gets upset for whatever reason and the bad bacteria take over. It's not really understood why it happens, but douching is probably the biggest cause. The symptoms are discharge, fishy scent after intercourse, burning and/or itching - or no symptoms at all. It's the most common infection women experience. But you need to see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment with antibiotics.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

Well thank you for the info, I would not know what to tell the Doctor. Because I don't itch or have a discharge or smell about me. Would I just tell him I get this strange odor sometimes after sex with my Husband? And they would do a swab test or something to see if I have bacteria?

Thanks again for all of your information!

Old 07-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

Well I saw my Doctor this morning and he does not believe its BV. He said I may have a little bit of a yeast infection, gave me something for that. I doubt I have that no itching or discharge. My Husbands diet has changed he has been eating more fish and chicken no Beef afraid of Mad COW. My Doctor thinks diet could play a role, and that he needs to drink more water.

The Following User Says Thank You to lharmon37 For This Useful Post:
neco (11-13-2011)
Closed Thread