It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - General Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

Bridgett HB User
Question Grooming Question

I have been reading alot on these boards lately about "grooming" the private area. Well, this is all new to me, other than shaving my swimsuit area, I didn't realize that most women now are shaving this area. I asked my husband about it, if it bothers him that I don't shave when he is "down there" and he told me that it doesn't, but now I feel weird that I don't. I tried snipping the hair there first with the scissors then shaving it with a disposable razor, but my husband told me that it was "picky" when it started growing back and it itched me like crazy!
Well, this may be a silly question, but what is the proper way to groom down there? And how in the heck do you get close enough to your genital area without cutting yourself? I'm scared to death of cutting something down there, lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Celestial_Kel HB User
Re: Grooming Question

The easiest way that I have found is to lay back in the bathtub and kinda' hold you legs up and apart. This smooths out the area so that it's easier to shave. Then I just lather up with Caress or Tone soap, something that's got moisturizers in it and gently go over the area and make sure you rinse the razor pretty much after each time you shave over an area....that way it glides over smooth. All it takes is patience and if you take your time you should not cut yourself! I have been doing this for a long time and have never cut myself. I just love how much cleaner it feels "down there" and the more you do it, the more your skin gets used to it and you don't get bumps or anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

mypennygirl HB User

I always use "Nair". It's much easier than using a razor. I would like to try a bikini wax, but I don't think I have the guts to do the job myself and I'm a little shy about getting a professional to do it.

Also, I don't do the whole thing, I leave a little strip in the middle and cut it when it gets too long.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I just tried trimming a few days ago and didn't even shave it all off. For some reason it started itching like crazy a day or two afterwards! Why is this? Also what about shaving your actual vagina? Not just the bush on your lower pelvis but the "down there area" is that bad???

Old 03-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Celestial_Kel HB User

Nope...I shave that too! Like another poster said, I also leave just a small strip down the middle because I don't want to be completely bald there.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:36 AM   #6
(male)

justinluck HB User

My girlfriend uses an electric hair trimmer (the kind you use to for haircuts) with adapter number 2. Works out to be a great length. Just short enough not to be bristly. I use the number 2 adapter for myself on my chest, underarms, and privates.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #7
(female)

maybebabee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial_Kel
the more you do it, the more your skin gets used to it and you don't get bumps or anything!
Can i ask though, the first few times you did it, did you get the bumps and ingrown hairs etc? Because whenever i do it thats what happens. I would however persevere if i knew that eventually it would get better and stop happening because i completely prefer how it looks when its shaved.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

I am not so sure most all women shave down there. Many do, but I am not even sure if a majority do it. You could simply trim it, or do as the other posters recommended if you do want to eliminate all hair. I do think that recent surveys of men showed that most prefer it trimmed to shaved by a small margin. Most don't like it overly bushy, but some guys do. Talk to your husband about it.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Celestial_Kel HB User

Actually, I have never had a rash or razor bumps! Another good thing to do is to soak you razor in alcohol for about 5 minutes before you shave. That kills any germs before you start and bacteria is usually what causes bad rashes and ingrown hairs! I only use my razor for about a week, and then I throw it away and get a fresh one. Hope this helps!

Old 03-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I shave the bikini area and then trim the rest. I just comb it out and clip...leave maybe 1/4 inch or so. No big deal...I shave when I bathe and do the other trim on the toilet with regular scissors...

Old 03-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I use the lady remington wet dry shaver. I use the trimmer front edge part so the hair is cut off very close to the skin but not too close so there are no ingrowns or itching. I lay in the tub in shallow water then use ivory soap. If you use soap with moisturizers in them they can ruin the microscreen on the shaver. I don't use the microscreen for this area though it gets too close so it irritates the skin. Just the front trimmer part. I do the bikini area and almost all of the vulva area. I don't move things apart to get down in there I just leave those hairs alone. They get trimmed a little just whatever sticks out. Then I do the front so there is about a 2 inch wide strip down the front and 3 inches long about. I do all of this with the grain. If I go against the grain man the itching and burning and rash is not good. There are a few spots where I can go against the grain gently and be fine. Then with the strip in the front I used the trimmer front part again and soap up the hair there really good too and just go back and forth across it and make it pretty short but but not super short just enough so it doesn't look bushy.

To the poster who said they trimmed it with a scissors and it started itching. That happens to me too. I always wonder why in the world is it itching when I only trimmed it.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

I do the professionally waxed, shave for upkeep. That's not for the shy or timid...lol..but it is no big deal and is nice and smooth, treat it like I do hair removal from my legs.

I can say that the first time I did it my partner loved it..that was just a bonus.

Closed Thread