It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 PM   #1

fisherwoman HB User
Hot tubs and erections

My husband is 49 and has always had good hard erections,until about 6 months ago. It's been taking longer to get hard or it does'nt stay hard as long as it used to. Tonight,upon reflection,I bagan to wonder if a hot tub could affect this. We have'nt had one for 3 months now,but for a year prior he would sit in the hot tub for a hour or more,heated up to 99 degrees,sometimes 101 degrees,and he did this almost every night in the winter. It was almost impossible to have sex when he'd first get out.We'd have to wait for him to cool off. So I'm wondering if it could have some long term affect? Anybody know?

Old 02-18-2004, 02:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lance2 HB UserLance2 HB UserLance2 HB User
Re: Hot tubs and erections

Hi, I'm not sure about the long term effects, although a temporary problem with an erection after a hot tub visit would be understandable. I'd think about this being more about his age and things changing OR some medical issue. Is he on medication for anything? Problems with high blood pressure or diabetes? Stress at work? Stress at home? Any heart problems or recent surgeries? I'd suggest that if he can't answer these questions, then a visit to his doc would be in order...this is probably something that should be checked out since there are physical things that can cause this. Also, if he's worried about the erection problems, then that could lead to more problems as well. Hope some of this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran

supertrooper HB User

I wonder if your dh has high blood pressure. Oddly enough, HBP is a contributing factor to impotence. You would think it would help with the hardness but it doesn't. I'm thumbing through my notes here, but I can't find the reference to the reason behind it. Anyways, being in a hot tub will often raise your blood pressure as your body tries to find a way to get rid of the excess heat. I think this is what is causing the post hot tub impotence, but he would return to normal after a while. You need to look at the factors the other poster mentioned in order to get a good "grip" on the problem for the long term.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:16 AM   #4

fisherwoman HB User

Thanks for responding guys. He is not on any medication and his blood pressure has always been normal or slightly below in the past. He is pretty fit for his age and goes on long walks with the dog several times a week.I thought about age but it didn't seem to be a very gradual thing. That's why I thuoght it might be the hot tub.

Old 02-18-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran

supertrooper HB User

It could also be performance anxiety. Once you have a bout of impotence it can start to weigh on your mind that it will happen again. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Anyway, he should still have a thorough physical (if he doesn't have one regularly). There may be an undiscovered problem here, or it could just be the aging process. He needs to be upfront with his doctor about his concerns so the doc can be looking in the right places. In either case there are some wonderful drugs out there that can help if this continues to be a problem. Take it from someone who knows what he's going through. I've been there, and the hardest thing is admitting that maybe you aren't the stallion you once were.

Closed Thread