It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 03:42 AM   #1

rolf HB User
Question Am I infected with something after visiting clinic?

Hi,

I wondered if I could get anyone's advice. Really what I am looking for is common sense, because I know that I lack judgement when it comes to health.

I went to the clinic and got the whole battery of tests, including 3 blood samples for Hep B, C and HIV. I thought it best to be responsible and get tested, but also I am a big hypochondriac so even though I have always had protected sex, I wanted to be sure I was OK.

Anyway, I get my penis checked out (incidentally the nurse requests each person to roll back and put forth their foreskin themselves), back to waiting room then urine test and urethra swab, then back to waiting room and blood test to take the three samples.

After the blood test I'm back in the waiting room, waiting for the outcome of the non-blood tests. I check out the band-aid/plaster on top of the needle wound in my arm, there seems to be a little pool of blood under the band-aid/plaster so I press it lightly with my finger to make sure it is attached to the skin properly, and blood oozes out of the air holes in the band-aid/plaster and onto my finger.

OK, now my mind is going crazy, I'm wondering, did I accidentally infect myself somehow with remnants of viruses that I might have come into contact with in the clinic from the door handles that were shared by all the people getting tested at the clinic (remember that people had to roll back foreskins).

So many things going through my mind, did I just give myself Hep B, C or HIV - will I have to get tested again....I even tried to calculate the odds and came out with a figure of 125,000 to 1!! As you can see I am quite an anxious person - I think for my own piece of mind, I will get retested again: either 3 or 6 (?) months for the standard HIV test (difficult to obtain DNA test here), or however long for the Hepatitis tests (I will have to look into this).

Anyway, do you think I am being really stupid? Is this crazy what I am talking? Perhaps I am going way over the top - after all, 125,000 to 1 is better chances than crossing the roads for one's entire lifetime.

I will probably get tested again to get piece of mind but any advice from you would be appreciated because I respect opinion here.

Thanks

rolf

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

wood650 HB User
Re: Am I infected with something after visiting clinic?

You are quite anxious. I would seriously doubt that you could become infected that way. Be checked again if you have no piece of mind. If you are participating in a behavior that would contribute to the viruses you are afraid of then it would be more wise to stop the behavior than just to be retested.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #3

rolf HB User

Yeah you're right - it annoys me but I can't help it. My behavior is not bad, just my paranoia about my health.

If this happened to you, would you have unprotected sex with a partner? Or would you use condoms until tested again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood650
You are quite anxious. I would seriously doubt that you could become infected that way. Be checked again if you have no piece of mind. If you are participating in a behavior that would contribute to the viruses you are afraid of then it would be more wise to stop the behavior than just to be retested.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

wood650 HB User

In your state of mind I would use a condom because I think you would be too concerned to have sex any other way.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

I think you have nothing to be worried about.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:52 PM   #6

rolf HB User

Well thanks for your comments, I thought I was overreacting about this.

I really hate this anxiety I have about my health. Strangely enough, I have always been interested in medicine, but I know I would not make a good doctor beause of my inability to make rational decisions.

Maybe some anti-depressants would help? I have never taken such pills, but the way I am about my health - maybe I should consider them.

Old 10-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #7
Inactive

downtrodden HB User

This is NOT a criticism... YOU used the word paranoia... My mother worries over the most remotely unlikely eventualities... Life involves "risk", and as the olde saying goes, ain't none of us gettin' out of it alive !!!

Therefore, one weighs and balances benefits versus risks in every undertaking. We don't stress-out over driving to the grocery store, despite the "odds" of injury or death en-route.

Safe sex is undoubtedly a sound decision.

Worrying over miniscule traces of aberrant biohazard passes the "point of dimenishing returns"...

You can't escape ALL risk in life - but unnecessary worry can lead to stress that can lead to a higher probability of health hazard than the aforementioned "threat"...

I hope that gives at least SOME solace !!!

PS ~ Taking anti-depressants sounds like an easy out - but that, in turn, just mucks the situation even further - slightly imbalancing your organismic self-regulation... If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!

PPS ~ Beginning students of Psychology are warned that it is human nature to "relate" to ALL those conditions about which they read... We ALL have some bits of experience that parallels almost ANY medical or psychological phenomenon... That comes with being HUMAN... It is part of our ability to communicate and "relate" to each other... It is also human nature to profit over the weaknesses of others... Beau-coupe buck$ are taken from people who chase "cures" for the illnesses they begin to wonder if they are suffering from... Try not to buy into all that, be it Pharmaceutical or homeopathic... Remember, we survived for hundreds of thousands of years allowing our bodies to heal themselves... More often than not, physicians just hand out bogus prescriptions to act like psychological pats on the back, until our own systems right themselves (my own primary care physician alluded to this when I asked him directly)... Most of the magic is in our own minds... Let nature take its course, and only fiddle with it when things are "beyond any reasonable doubt" WAY off course...

GOOD LUCK !!!

Last edited by downtrodden; 10-30-2004 at 09:32 AM.

Old 11-07-2004, 04:09 AM   #8

rolf HB User

Hey thanks for all the comments, but the real BIG question I would like to ask is:

If this happened to you personally (not me, so don't take my state of mind into account) would you have unprotected sex with your partner, or would you use condoms until tested again?

Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrNice HB User

The chances that you infected yourself in any way let alone with an STD are so remote that I wouldn't give it a second thought. For anything to have come off your skin and then through the band-aid and gauze underneath and then make it's way through the blood and back through a tiny needle hole is so remote that you shouldnt give it any thought. If you continue to be worried about it...discuss it with the clinic where you took the tests.

Closed Thread