It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
(male)

Dave56789 HB User
Can saw palmetto cause ED??

I have been taking saw palmetto for about 6 weeks for a slightly enlarged prostate, and have noticed my erections have not been as hard and my staying power is less. Besides taking the saw palmetto, I have not taken any other new medicine or herb. I'm really thinking the saw palmetto is causing my ED. But I have never heard of this side effect. I have heard and read that saw palmetto has no side effects. Does anyone know anything about this?

Old 04-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

wood650 HB User
Re: Can saw palmetto cause ED??

I have taken Saw Palmetto for years and never had an ED side effect. I also have never read of such an effect of Saw Palmetto. But if you were having no problems before taking it and now you do, it does make you wonder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
(male)

Makaveli01 HB User

Nope Saw Palmetto would not do that...it is a very very very weak 5-AR inhibitor and only at tissue levels not even in the blood like Propecia. Even moreso, they are doubting that it is a 5-AR inhibitor, rather it works on another enzyme. But it should not affect ED.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Cinemagic HB User

In numerous scientific articles, it is attested that saw palmetto berry extract is effective in treating an enlarged prostate. A general claim is that unlike synthetic prescription drugs, saw palmetto will not interfere with sexual function. However, such claims are rather subjective. Fact is that saw palmetto has, like prostate-shrinking prescription drugs, an anti-androgenic composition. However, natural remedies are typically of a much more differentiated chemical structure than synthetic drugs, and their effects are often not as pointed as those of comparatively simple synthetic drugs.

The vast majority of men will not experience erection difficulties with Saw Palmetto in the concentrations found in most perparations. For some people and with higher dosages, saw palmetto is a clear erection killer.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave56789
I have been taking saw palmetto for about 6 weeks for a slightly enlarged prostate, and have noticed my erections have not been as hard and my staying power is less. Besides taking the saw palmetto, I have not taken any other new medicine or herb. I'm really thinking the saw palmetto is causing my ED. But I have never heard of this side effect. I have heard and read that saw palmetto has no side effects. Does anyone know anything about this?
The only way to know is to stop taking it and see if things go back to normal in a week or so. If they do, you have your answer. I think it is very possible that saw palmetto could have this affect...even if it is partly psychological (not saying it is).

Old 04-30-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

I think I read somewhere that it reacts with testosterone to lower the amount going to the prostate. ????

Old 04-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
(male)

Makaveli01 HB User

Saw Palmetto does not do anything with Testosterone, infact the only thing it really does is VERY VERY VERY weakly inhibit 5-Alpha Reductase enyzme that is responsible for converting Testosterone to DHT. But it does nothing to Testosterone. And this is all localized to tissue, not to serum. I actually had a conversation with a doctor/researcher from an Andrology center in Arizona, and he said that they are finding out that Saw Palmetto does not even do much to inhibit 5-AR , it works on another enzyme. In either way, it helps with the flow of urine. Good for the prostate.

Should not hurt anyone. All natural. And even though some say it can reduce the size of the prostate, there is no real proof of that.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #8
(male)

Radios On HB User

Quote:
slightly enlarged prostate
This is most likely your problem. As far as I know saw palmetto is supposed to be beneficial when treating ed.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #9
(male)

ahealthyman HB User

I'm a fan of herbal things but i've never heard of such thing. Maybe you should really get yourself checked up. Stop taking it for a while and see if your erections are the same. if not, i suggest you get yourself checked up.
Is there something else you can take instead of what you're taking now? I'm sure there are other herbal alternatives out there.

Closed Thread