It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sexual Health - Men Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
(male)

learnhealth HB User
What is the difference between jock itch or dry skin on penis?

Okay I have a problem that has been reoccuring and I still havent seemed to understand it. I have a circumsized penis. I have also taken the STD test and am negative to any STD's. So now the problem is every so often the skin around my head and right below it where the foreskin is will turn red and get really dry and when this happens it can also get itchy and it is painful to have sex or masterbate in this condition. Well this started happening to me 2 years ago when I was with another partner. After that person I havent had sex much and it hadnt happened for awhile. Recently I am with a new partner and I have been getting oral sex. Well I got 3 blowjobs 3 nights in a row and then all of a sudden after that 3rd time my penis became inflamed and turned red around the penis head and foreskin area. I am not sure if my penis skin is sensitive to friction (maybe teeth are scraping against penis skin) and is drying out or if I have jock itch which is a yeast infection. The reason I am not sure is because when this used to happen to me in the past with my old partner i used lotrimin (jock itch cream) on the penis and it dried out my penis skin ever more. But I only used this for a week and the directions say use for 2 weeks. But after that one week I stopped using it and my penis had time to get rid of the dry skin. During that same time I stopped being with that partner. So it could be that maybe I have developed another yeast infection either from it being dormant for awhile or could I of gotten it from oral sex? I dont know. So my dilemma is that I dont know how to treat this because if its a yeast infection I need to use jock itch cream which will dry out the area more to kill the yeast infection but if my problem is just friction related then I just might need to use lotion on my penis after using it each time to keep the skin soft but lotion is the opposite of the jock itch cream because it keeps the area moist. So my dilemma is that I have two opposite ways to go and I dont really know which problem I really have. How can I tell the difference between jock itch (yeast infection) or just plain dry skin from friction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
(male)

learnhealth HB User
Re: What is the difference between jock itch or dry skin on penis?

I also forgot to mention that I take about 2 showers a day but after each shower I make sure I dry the genital area very well with a towel.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

Have you had a doctor check it out? It's unusual to get jock itch on the penis -- it's typically in the groin around the scrotum.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

this sounds like a yeast infection. anything which works for women, will work for a man, such as monistat.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
(male)

learnhealth HB User

I told a doctor about it a long time ago but I wasnt showing symptoms at that time so he really didnt know but he told me to use an antifungal jock itch cream such as lotrimin. Now my symptons came bcak but I dont have health insurance right now so I cant go see the doctor. If I take a shower twice a day my genital area should be clean, even if their was left over moisture from my showers which i may not have dried all of it off, could that still produce a yiest infection? Or could this have came from getting oral sex? Right now my 2 guesses are it is jock itch or it could possibily just be that the skin got scratched by my partner's teeth. I really dont know.

Okay here is what is happening lately: I took the antifungal cream lotrimin for a week then I stopped just 2 days ago. During the time I took the cream I noticed the skin get even more dry and scally. So now I am putting hand lotion on it to get it to go away. Am I doing more harm? What should I do?

Old 05-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User

I wouldn't use the oil based lotion, if it is a rash or irratation of some sort that is drying out the location can make it worse, if not applied directly after your shower. (when the pores are open and full with the most water)

First, You might have thought of this, but did you try a few differnt soaps, the skin of the penis is extemely sensitive to soap. If you were scratched and then showered with a harsh soap, well you get the idea. Try something with no sent, all natural gentle on the skin type for a week or so.

Second. Go right down to your local Pharmacy or drug store for this little miracle. Most Pharmacies will have this if they are worth there salt. Go to the Pharmacist and ask if he carries "BagBalm" it comes in a green can. Most likely he keeps it behind the counter for people when they ask for it. Umm don't get thrown, hehe, when you read the side, it will tell you too put it on your udder. its actually for cows, hehe don't freak.

Its a little Parent secret the lucky ones find out about. When My son was young and in Diapers, a doctor told me to always carry this. It is the most amazine stuff. You see my son was getting horrible rashes and would Dry out and his skin would bleed, nothing seemed to work. This stuff, one application, and one night, and everthing was gone. THere is no smell to it, its greasy like vasiline with a bunch of herbs in it. Its safe for crotches, and it doesn't burn when put on a rash or light abrasion.

You see Dairy farmers put it on the udders of their cows, but they noticed that thier hands always healed amazingly fast. The Skin softened up, and injuries seemed to go away very quickly. Soon, thier wives found out it was a wonder for those private parts, and wonders for diaper and other rashes. Soon the word got around and some pharmacies started asking for it, always hush hush, because it was supposed to be for cows.

Anywho, I use it myself for rashes and irratations, and it works well. Whats nice about it, it doesn't just return the moistier to the skin, but it helps heal the irritation. I doubt it wil heal a sexually transfered disease, but it shouldn't hurt, if anything it could make the symptoms a bit less.

If I was having this problem, I would try that. Make sure you use a good amount, and be careful, this stuff can stain, it is oil based. There is little to no smell, so no one will know your using it.

My house always has a can on the shelf, though my son is 12 now. IT is amazing more people don't know about it. It might help,.,

IF that stuff fails, get your butt to a doctor, because if Bagbalm can't beat it, what you got is nasty.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
(male)

learnhealth HB User

You said you would not use an oil based lotion however isn't bag balm oil based since its like vasoline?

I have looked at a bunch of sites on jock itch, and I dont have any red spots in my groin area. The only irritation I have is on my upper shaft near the head. I truly am starting to think its just chaffing from teeth or friction.

I might try that bag balm stuff, sounds interesting. You sure their are no side effects?

Old 05-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User

Nothing has happened to me yet, LOL, and doctors recomend it for Baby's groin area's , I think your safe, you can't get much more sensitive than that.

And yes, good point it is oil based, but unlike a hand lotion, its made to do other stuff than smothen the skin. In this case its good that its oil based and thick, so the medicine doesn't come off or evaporate. I think that is why it works well.

If its some kind of irritation or rash or abbrasion, the bagbalm should work wonders, if it doesn't you have some kind of infection, and nothing but some kind of antibiotic will help.

Hope it helps friend..

Last edited by JustDave4now; 05-02-2005 at 05:33 AM.

Closed Thread